Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
cheers, rog, I have a kayo subscription - got something like 2 or 4 weeks free initially - it has been pretty good but spins my poor old laptop's fan round like a record baby right round round right round - I'll do it again next season - will watch the cats game and pull the plug - all finals being on fta.....

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
$25pm gets you a kayo subscription that can be used on two accounts. Basically go halves with someone and pay $12.50pm for on demand sport. Get a chromecast and watch it on your TV in HD.
It's fantastic, I love the thing.

I got it for the cricket a while back fully expecting to cancel the subscription after the first 2 weeks free as that covered all the cricket remaining.

Nup, still got it. Love it.

Also being on the Gold Coast no footy matches are broadcast in HD, so chromecasting it to the TV has been amazing for me. I stream it even if the game is on TV as the quality is so much better.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It's fantastic, I love the thing.

I got it for the cricket a while back fully expecting to cancel the subscription after the first 2 weeks free as that covered all the cricket remaining.

Nup, still got it. Love it.

Also being on the Gold Coast no footy matches are broadcast in HD, so chromecasting it to the TV has been amazing for me. I stream it even if the game is on TV as the quality is so much better.

Just in case you didn't know - you can actually get the Kayo app on a Foxtel Now box (about $100, but you may be able to find one second hand or on special), which saves you the trouble of casting from a phone or similar. Got one cheap through work (about 50% off) and it's been fantastic. Buffering and picture quality much better than when I was casting from my phone to the chromecast.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bombers-hope-for-ryder-return-20190819-p52ioy.html

Meanwhile, Carlton's versatile big man Levi Casboult has played enough games this year to trigger an automatic contract extension with the Blues.

Casboult is understood to have made the trigger in the past couple of weeks and is assured of a deal for 2020 only under the terms of the previous contract.
Casboult would have been an unrestricted free agent had he not made the trigger. But the contract for 2020 means he would have to be traded if he received a more attractive offer from elsewhere.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
You would have to think that Lloyd would have some insights beyond just logging into BigFooty. If so, another very encouraging affirmation that we're on track to secure our three targets.

(Still trying to keep a lid on it.)

Would love to think he knows something being Brad's brother.

But wouldn't be surprised if he's not informed on the situation at all and it's just an educated guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 1, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Would love to think he knows something being Brad's brother.

But wouldn't be surprised if he's not informed on the situation at all and it's just an educated guess.
But wouldn’t he make the educated guess on another team. His brother has something to do with this.

Sep 2, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
50/50 on getting all three is a big call, means there is a 75% in there somewhere

Yes if Lloyd is saying it’s 50-50 to get all three then it means it’s 80% to get each player individually which is pretty high. In reality it’s probably Martin 90% Cogs 80% and Papley 70% - that would be 50% all 3 happening.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bordertoon

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Newcastle United, Glasgow Rangers
Ha ha he must read Big Footy by the looks of the 3 big ins he has listed.

Pretty shameless from the Velvet Sledgehammer tbh because, if my memory serves me correctly, then in contrast to the likes of Duck and Derm - who stayed bullish about our list and our medium to long term prospects during the darkest days of our rebuild - it wasn’t long ago that Lloyd was sinking the boot into our club’s rebuild in general, and SOS and his alleged overdependence on GWS “rejects” in particular.

Basically then, it seems that Lloyd’s done a complete 180 degree turn with regards to our rebuild, with - to my knowledge, at least - no real acknowledgement of the fact. A pity that Juddy, or even Hutchie, weren’t on Footy Crucified last night to remind him of this unexplained complete about face. Personally, I’d have been pointing Lloyd to this song and these lyrics by The Cure:

Jumping Someone Else’s [Teague] Train

If you pick up on it quick
You can say you were there
Again and again and again
You're jumping someone else's train

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2008
Near the famous #34
AFL Club
Carlton
A couple of months ago, Carlton was heading for a 1-2 win season. The GWS steak knives were all beyond blunt, Jaksch was a horrible bust, Pickett was gone, Kennedy looked like a downgrade of Graham, Setterfield was struggling, Plowman had zero confidence and Marchbank was made of glass.

It didn't matter what colour glasses we were wearing in here, from the outside Carlton was an unmitigated dumpster fire and much of the fuel was the GWS trades.

New coach, new direction, new trajectory and now Kennedy, Setters, Plowman and Marchbank are best 22 because improving a team always improves previously marginal players.

Lloyd is absolutely fair in saying we looked horrible back then, and in now changing his opinion with the introduction of Teague.

Bordertoon

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Newcastle United, Glasgow Rangers
A couple of months ago, Carlton was heading for a 1-2 win season. The GWS steak knives were all beyond blunt, Jaksch was a horrible bust, Pickett was gone, Kennedy looked like a downgrade of Graham, Setterfield was struggling, Plowman had zero confidence and Marchbank was made of glass.

It didn't matter what colour glasses we were wearing in here, from the outside Carlton was an unmitigated dumpster fire and much of the fuel was the GWS trades.

New coach, new direction, new trajectory and now Kennedy, Setters, Plowman and Marchbank are best 22 because improving a team always improves previously marginal players.

Lloyd is absolutely fair in saying we looked horrible back then, and in now changing his opinion with the introduction of Teague.

I hear what you’re saying, however as good as he’s been Teaguey has served as a catalyst, but does not represent the Messiah who has achieved the footballing equivalent of turning water into wine. In other words, as the old saying goes, “you cannot make bricks without clay”, and imo what Teaguey’s performance has made clear is that all along we’ve had sufficient “clay” on our list, but sadly (because I liked Bolts) it just wasn’t being moulded to its maximum potential by Teaguey’s predecessor.

I can accept casual outside observers thinking that we were a complete basket case, but Lloyd presents himself as an expert, and I think that he ought to have been able to see what others in a similar position (like Duck and Derm, amongst others, not to mention the majority of posters on this forum) were able to see all along - that is, that beyond the short term surface appearance (that we were a car wreck), there was an underlying medium to long term reality (that our rebuild was essentially on track). In other words, while the season was unraveling under Bolts, the rebuild as a whole wasn’t.

Anyway, my major gripe with Lloyd is not so much that he’s an embarrassingly late arrival on the Blues bandwagon, but that he hasn’t - to my knowledge, at least - shown the intestinal fortitude to admit that he got us wrong, and instead has simply changed his tune and hoped that nobody would notice or call him on it. As I said in my original post, had Juddy or even Hutchie been on the Footy Crucified panel last night, I doubt whether he would’ve gotten away with it tbh.

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
I hear what you’re saying, however as good as he’s been Teaguey has served as a catalyst, but does not represent the Messiah who has achieved the footballing equivalent of turning water into wine. In other words, as the old saying goes, “you cannot make bricks without clay”, and imo what Teaguey’s performance has made clear is that all along we’ve had sufficient “clay” on our list, but sadly (because I liked Bolts) it just wasn’t being moulded to its maximum potential by Teaguey’s predecessor.

I can accept casual outside observers thinking that we were a complete basket case, but Lloyd presents himself as an expert, and I think that he ought to have been able to see what others in a similar position (like Duck and Derm, amongst others, not to mention the majority of posters on this forum) were able to see all along - that is, that beyond the short term surface appearance (that we were a car wreck), there was an underlying medium to long term reality (that our rebuild was essentially on track). In other words, while the season was unraveling under Bolts, the rebuild as a whole wasn’t.

Anyway, my major gripe with Lloyd is not so much that he’s an embarrassingly late arrival on the Blues bandwagon, but that he hasn’t - to my knowledge, at least - shown the intestinal fortitude to admit that he got us wrong, and instead has simply changed his tune and hoped that nobody would notice or call him on it. As I said in my original post, had Juddy or even Hutchie been on the Footy Crucified panel last night, I doubt whether he would’ve gotten away with it tbh.

100% agree, the talent is there, just needed a bit of adjustment.

With regards to Lloyds article or what he said, Carlton can make the 8 next year if they pick up Cogs, Papley and Martin. That is not really a huge statement. I feel without those 3 and with a good run with regards to injuries, we should realistically be pushing for the 8 especially if the competition is as even as this year. With those 3, not making the 8 would be a poor result.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The reality is that Carlton weren't that far off with Bolts coaching for the future. The ball movement against the Bulldogs, first half against Hawks and Pies was excellent. We just didn't get the wins and the pressure and frustration built up to a dangerous point and something needed to be done.

Numbnuts like Lloyd and Whately were unable to look past the results and see the talent building until we have close to the finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back