2019 2nd Ashes Test - Lords 14-18 August 2019

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
They could play attacking fields given the target was out of reach, so more boundaries allowed.

And i guess the point is that England is the home team and need to win to regain the ashes, so actually need to take a bit of risk!

That's the thing, they don't really need to take a crazy risk. They'll be extremely confident of winning the 3rd test with a rampart archer and no Smith/injured Smith which makes it 1-1 with 2 tests to go. No need to play high risk high reward in the 2nd test when you feel you are the better team (and they will feel that now)

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
What's that got to do with it? In both cases there's an artificial substance in the saliva which by the exact wording of the law isn't allowed. The fact the ICC haven't taken action against people for either despite a wide range of footage and public confessions being available for both shows they consider it an allowable grey area.

Far more likely that they simply consider it too hard, and give in to the illegal behaviour, as they've done with the throwing and the illegal intimidatory bowling.
Wait for the solution.
"A bit of ball tampering is allowed".

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
That's the thing, they don't really need to take a crazy risk. They'll be extremely confident of winning the 3rd test with a rampart archer and no Smith/injured Smith which makes it 1-1 with 2 tests to go. No need to play high risk high reward in the 2nd test when you feel you are the better team (and they will feel that now)

But why would they feel 'extremely confident' that they would win?
Their batting lineup is still crap, they have no matchwinning spinner, and they have to win 2 of 3 which heaps the pressure on them.

If they'd gone quicker at the start of the day, they'd have easily managed to set 240 with 55+ overs left and given themselves a real chance.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Their batting lineup is still crap, they have no matchwinning spinner, and they have to win 2 of 3 which heaps the pressure on them.

If they'd gone quicker at the start of the day, they'd have easily managed to set 240 with 55+ overs left and given themselves a real chance.

They don’t drop Head and they have a pretty good chance last night on what they did set!

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

They had us on the ropes this test despite losing the toss, Archer has half our batsmen scared shitless, Smith completely carries our Batting and he will either not play or play under duress... So yea, they'll be feeling confident.

If they went quick early and lost a bunch of wickets they could of been bowled up cheaply and given us most of the day to chase a much smaller total, which would of been an absolute disaster.

A Pom

All Australian
Aug 1, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
What happens if last night Australia is within striking distance of the total when the umpires say only the spinners can bowl and Root unleashes Archer just to bounce people?

Then people complain about the umpires, claim Root is unsporting and state "this wouldn't have happened if England were batting".

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
They don’t drop Head and they have a pretty good chance last night on what they did set!

Yup! But they didn't give themselves the best chance.

They had us on the ropes this test despite losing the toss, Archer has half our batsmen scared s**tless, Smith completely carries our Batting and he will either not play or play under duress... So yea, they'll be feeling confident.

If they went quick early and lost a bunch of wickets they could of been bowled up cheaply and given us most of the day to chase a much smaller total, which would of been an absolute disaster.

Marnus and Head managed okay with Archer. Woakes only bowled a few overs.
That can't be sustained through another 3 tests.

Agreed that if they'd lost a bunch of wickets, but they could also try to defend and build a total. Their tail can hang around.

What happens if last night Australia is within striking distance of the total when the umpires say only the spinners can bowl and Root unleashes Archer just to bounce people?

Is that still the bad light rule? I had thought there was changes about offering the light (i.e. they don't , the umps decide) and needing to bowl spinners (i.e. if you stay on, anyone can bowl?). Could be wrong though. Can't get a straight answer in my searching.

A Pom

All Australian
Aug 1, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Is that still the bad light rule? I had thought there was changes about offering the light (i.e. they don't , the umps decide) and needing to bowl spinners (i.e. if you stay on, anyone can bowl?). Could be wrong though. Can't get a straight answer in my searching.

The umpires no longer offer the option to the batsman about the light like they used to but they can still tell the fielding team that they'd consider the light inadequate if a pace bowler was bowling.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj

They go off the field, the batsmen don't get a choice anymore.

Would be no issue with england doing that either they are under no obligation to bowl spin it's just a heads up from the umps that they will go off if they bowl the quicks.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
What's that got to do with it? In both cases there's an artificial substance in the saliva which by the exact wording of the law isn't allowed. The fact the ICC haven't taken action against people for either despite a wide range of footage and public confessions being available for both shows they consider it an allowable grey area.

That's right. Ball tampering.

But overall, congratulations on not addressing my main argument on three seperate occasions. Well done, too, in flatly refusing to adress the examples of Atherton, or Panesar using his zip. You excel in the dubious arts of 'internet debating'. Carry on now, and be sure to neglect anything that contradicts your bias. All the best ratting on Smith for the same things you would accept in an English player.

A Pom

All Australian
Aug 1, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

But overall, congratulations on not addressing my main argument on three seperate occasions. Well done, too, in flatly refusing to adress the examples of Atherton, or Panesar using his zip. You excel in the dubious arts of 'internet debating'. Carry on now, and be sure to neglect anything that contradicts your bias. All the best ratting on Smith for the same things you would accept in an English player.

So you've concluded it's ball tampering to have a sugary drink and subsequently shine the ball?

If you bothered to read other posts you'd notice I've addressed the Atherton point. Admittedly I haven't read Panesar's book and wasn't aware of what he says he did which I clearly condemn. Presumably he can't have done it whilst playing for England though given an England kit hasn't had zips for as long as I can remember.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
So you've concluded it's ball tampering to have a sugary drink and subsequently shine the ball?

If you bothered to read other posts you'd notice I've addressed the Atherton point. Admittedly I haven't read Panesar's book and wasn't aware of what he says he did which I clearly condemn. Presumably he can't have done it whilst playing for England though given an England kit hasn't had zips for as long as I can remember.

No, that's not what I said. Not even vaguely. I'm not going to repeat my argument. It's there for you to read. If you can't see any double standard in English fans calling Smith a cheat while simultaneously celebrating Atherton and Paneser then you are too far down the rabbit hole to be worth any further time.

A Pom

All Australian
Aug 1, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
No, that's not what I said. Not even vaguely. I'm not going to repeat my argument. It's there for you to read. If you can't see any double standard in English fans calling Smith a cheat while simultaneously celebrating Atherton and Paneser then you are too far down the rabbit hole to be worth any further time.

It is quite literally exactly what you have just said:

What's that got to do with it? In both cases (sucking on mints and drinking sugary drinks) there's an artificial substance in the saliva which by the exact wording of the law isn't allowed.

To which your response was:
Nankervis brothers said:

A Pom

All Australian
Aug 1, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I was referring to the mints, not sugary drinks, as mints (as I've pointed out to you) also contains oils which create the desired effect of swing.

The law doesn't differentiate between what's effective and what's not. It states it's illegal to apply an artificial substance to the ball which both this saliva containing this oil and saliva containing sugar from sugary drinks is. The sandpaper didn't appear to do Australia much good in South Africa getting the ball moving but the players involved didn't get off with it because of that.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Australia’s have erred by not taking more bats. There’s no real need for Holland in the squad but we could sure use some options. Realistically, Bancroft should be dropped but Warner’s playing even worse, I have no more faith in Harris. Burns would probably offer some resistance at this point.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Firstly, I think you're conveniently making a rule that would rule Jofra Archer out of this series.

Secondly, there are plenty of good reasons for someone to move countries after the age of 19, and you risk excluding people for what is a fairly arbitrary rule.

Thirdly, pretty much every sport n the world allows you to change countries given a certain qualification criteria.

Fourthly, you're forcing 16-18 year olds to make a decision that could be to their detriment. Imagine being someone who could qualify for more than one country - they may just stay out of underage competition to avoid having to make a decision, which could hurt them in the long run.

And on Archer specifically, he has a British father, and has only ever played first class cricket in England. He moved from Barbados to England, and so I don't see why he should be excluded from playing for them because he played a few warm-up games for the West Indies under 19s.
Keaton Jennings, Sam Robson and so many more have played all their pathway cricket elsewhere. It’s unfair especially on the poorer nations as they will keep losing players. If you don’t want to represent a nation because you want to play elsewhere don’t.

I don’t really care about Archer I want to see the best players playing test cricket but I think at the moment we have problems especially with South African’s and West Indian’s turning their back on test cricket. We have already lost the West Indies as a power and we are losing South Africa at the moment.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
The law doesn't differentiate between what's effective and what's not. It states it's illegal to apply an artificial substance to the ball which both this saliva containing this oil and saliva containing sugar from sugary drinks is. The sandpaper didn't appear to do Australia much good in South Africa getting the ball moving but the players involved didn't get off with it because of that.
Perhaps they should have experimented with different grit sandpapers, just as the English experimented with different type of mints. You know, to find the most the effective.

Back