Player Watch #47: Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Where have you got this notion that Nank is a slow player for us?!?
As a ruckman Nank is not slow, but as a forward he is. The reason Jack has been such a great forward for the last few years in particular is his work rate and tackling and harassing. Lynch likewise was a liability in that respect, but much better now. You really want to add Nank to that.

As a ruckman Nank is not slow, but as a forward he is. The reason Jack has been such a great forward for the last few years in particular is his work rate and tackling and harassing. Lynch likewise was a liability in that respect, but much better now. You really want to add Nank to that.
Of course I would like to see a forward set up of Lunch, Nank, JR, Caddy with George and Rioli...

I watched this pattern of ball movement close yesterday and Chol or Soldo were not really exposed to have to do any of that running. Maybe once or twice if that.

It was usually smalls + Lynch / Riewoldt.

So i don't think that will be a factor provided we get our player positioning right.
Perhaps on the weekend not so much, but I really noticed it the week before. Soldo does not go forward as a forward, but Chol did a lot of closing down space against Carlton.

What about the first Q. They had 27 marks to 7 at one stage, we picked up the pressure after that. We now have Lynch getting fitter and able to close down space, and Jack just starting to get back to fitness. Chol is not a liability in taht respect, but Nank would be. He hasn't played for 4 months as well so has no match practice.
Well I was somewhat shell-shocked in the first 15 mins so I’m not sure I can give any accurate analysis.

As far as Nank vs Chol. Chol is footy dumb. He’s super fast, agile and can jump super high, but he rarely uses those attributes at the right time. I often notice him wandering around lost and unsure of his correct positioning. I have never noticed that with Nank, and even Soldo is become pretty useful around the ground.

Soldo will ruck the finals now, I can't see how Nank gets back with the lack of match conditioning.
Soldo; centre square & around the ground & Chol fwd/ruck ~are the perfect combination. Chol is spending relatively low TOG % (50 vs WCE). They have rucked against Pies, Dees (best rucks in the league) & now they've rucked against the premiers. And TBH, they haven't lowered their colours. In fact Id back in from here on anyhow. I hope Nank can get up for the Lions game cos Soldo/Nank pretty much mirrors MCI/Martin.

Well I was somewhat shell-shocked in the first 15 mins so I’m not sure I can give any accurate analysis.

As far as Nank vs Chol. Chol is footy dumb. He’s super fast, agile and can jump super high, but he rarely uses those attributes at the right time. I often notice him wandering around lost and unsure of his correct positioning. I have never noticed that with Nank, and even Soldo is become pretty useful around the ground.
Very much learning the game I agree. But his a role player right now. Wouldn't mind seeing how Balta does though instead.

Used to agree full steam ahead with that, but Soldo IS getting better - dumb contest against Lynch excluded. Nank works well enough in the fwd line, so probably inclined to rotate Soldo to the bench if the rotations allow it (suspect not though). So am still just with you, but Chol had better up the ante or he will be passed by Soldo based on current rate of improvement.
I also think if we play the 3 talls, then adding Nank makes us a lot slower.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tap ruckman not ruckman. People forget in 2017 how dominant Nank was for most of the season. 26 disposals against Freo, 21 against Port and Collingwood, 19 GWS and 4 games of 18. Premiership hangover a bit last year, but looked very good last week. Soldo had a good week with 9 possessions.
But Nank isn't doing the 2017 stats right now.

I actually disagree, as Nank is not that mobile of late and isn't really clunking mark either.
He’s only played one game in ages and that offered a lot more than Chol.

Used to agree full steam ahead with that, but Soldo IS getting better - dumb contest against Lynch excluded. Nank works well enough in the fwd line, so probably inclined to rotate Soldo to the bench if the rotations allow it (suspect not though). So am still just with you, but Chol had better up the ante or he will be passed by Soldo based on current rate of improvement.
Wasn't a dumb contest. Dimma would have been thrilled three big blokes only had eyes only for the ball.

He’s only played one game in ages and that offered a lot more than Chol.
I get he is a better centre square ruck, but imo the notion that Nank is better around the ground is yesteryear stats, as he isn't doing what he did on 2017. So considering this is about the 2nd ruck, which means he needs to play fwd imo Chol is better for that role, is more agile and quicker. I also think he can be insurance in defence too.

I get he is a better centre square ruck, but imo the notion that Nank is better around the ground is yesteryear stats, as he isn't doing what he did on 2017. So considering this is about the 2nd ruck, which means he needs to play fwd imo Chol is better for that role, is more agile and quicker. I also think he can be insurance in defence too.
The only reason he’s not doing what he did in 2017 is because he hasn’t been playing!
He’s ten times better than Chol anywhere, anytime.

If Nank is injured then yes we need Soldo. What about Balta instead of Chol though? I feel Balta offers more flexibility in that he can play the defensive key post as well as forward.
Chols tackling and pressure is immense, i doubt at this stage Balta would add to the forward structure with Jack and Tom like Chol, if anything he could stuff the symmetry

Reckon it’s hilarious people wanted Rance back with an ACL but just want to park Nankervis if he’s passed fit.
Just won’t happen, and Chols output is so barely mimimal it is disturbing absolutely nothing.
Think some people forget how good he is and and how much better he makes us. It’s just a massive bonus that we have Soldo to share the workload and even his apparent “lack of mobility” isn’t actually even a thing.

Reckon it’s hilarious people wanted Rance back with an ACL but just want to park Nankervis if he’s passed fit.
Just won’t happen, and Chols output is so barely mimimal it is disturbing absolutely nothing.
Think some people forget how good he is and and how much better he makes us. It’s just a massive bonus that we have Soldo to share the workload and even his apparent “lack of mobility” isn’t actually even a thing.
If Nanks fit its a no brainer. Nank/Soldo, if not its a no brainer Soldo/Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back