List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide have a tough 2 weeks, potentially could lose both and imo will be lucky to get 1 win, which puts our pick around 7-8. Is it possible we push harder for Cognilio in order to take this pick to the draft?

Does landing a big FA change our tactics?

I haven’t taken much notice this year but the Crows implosion has peaked my interest.

Don't think we need to be going to the draft in the early rounds either this year or next unless we pick up extra first or second rounders. Trade the Adelaide pick and trade next years first. Just get the ready made quality we need now.

True, but the Saints were heavily criticised for taking King, King was spoken about as number 1 a long way out. Is Kemp that highly rated?

Pretty sure Kemp has been firmly in the top 5. Given the quality drops away in this draft, I suspect someone will take a chance on him well before the second round.

I think the criticism of St Kilda with King was with their overall recruitment strategy, loading up on injured players in Carlisle, Hannebery, King and Bytel in recent years. King himself was seen as a pretty solid pick up the top of the draft despite his injury.

Could certainly see Hawthorn and Sydney having interest in Kemp. Both clubs who don't mind letting a kid develop for a couple of years in their reserves before giving them a run in the seniors.

How far will Kemp drop after doing an ACL?

I personally would hate to use a top pick on a kid fresh of an ACL, too much risk. As Kemp can’t test and will miss next season, will it be enough for him to drop to the 2nd round?

Second round may be tough, but certainly could see him drifting out to pick 15 or so.

Don't think we need to be going to the draft in the early rounds either this year or next unless we pick up extra first or second rounders. Trade the Adelaide pick and trade next years first. Just get the ready made quality we need now.

The scenario was based on us getting Cogs, a big IF, does it change your view? It changes mine, we have a few retirements this year and next, it definitely gives flexibility.

Let's say, hypothetically, we pick up Coniglio via FA but Sydney block a trade for Papley.

We go into draft night with Pick ~10.

Is there anyone there that absolutely stands out as a quality, bankable small forward who could impact immediately (ala Daniel Rioli)?

And if not - would there be more value in live trading that pick to another club to pick up a second rounder this year and a future first.
Ie. send Pick 10 to Essendon for 28 and their future first - they'd be expecting finals wins next season, and they don't have a first rounder this year.

Does the quality drop that much from 10 to something in the 25-30 range, and does a future mid first rounder (10-16) help us more if we want to have a second dip at Papley when he's out of contract?

The best/highest rated small forwards might be Caleb Serong and Cody weightman. Serong will be gone by our pick but wieghtman will be there. Wieghtman might be a late first round pick. He’s worth reading about. I also like the look of Pickett.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has anyone seen much of Sam Flanders.
Reading his profile seems like a strong small/medium size(182) forward with X factor and good speed. Could play half forward and rotate through midfield at afl level.

Could suit our need of small/medium forward.
Seems like a possible selection around pick 8.

Has anyone seen much of Sam Flanders.
Reading his profile seems like a strong small/medium size(182) forward with X factor and good speed. Could play half forward and rotate through midfield at afl level.

Could suit our need of small/medium forward.
Seems like a possible selection around pick 8.

I'm a knock on Flanders. Not that he's not some sort of chance to be a very good AFL player, but i reckon the odds are against. I have him very back end of a rather average to middling 1st round.

I'm a knock on Flanders. Not that he's not some sort of chance to be a very good AFL player, but i reckon the odds are against. I have him very back end of a rather average to middling 1st round.

Comments in his profiles indicated he could polarise people.

What is it in particular that you’re not keen on. Is it just inconsistency or are there particular traits you don’t like.

Comments in his profiles indicated he could polarise people.

What is it in particular that you’re not keen on. Is it just inconsistency or are there particular traits you don’t like.

It's just an overall "vision" thing Ray rather than particulars. When i watch Flanders play, i just haven't seen someone i identify as a 1st Round AFL talent package. But in what i judge as a below average top end talent year he probably fits somewhere towards the back end.

I find it hard to see him being a difference maker in any role. Not quite sure how i could fill out my sentence to my List Manager when i report to him that "Yeah i want to spend our Top 12 pick on Flanders because....."

I haven't heard anything exceptional about him that should rate him above what is in front of you either. Nothing bad, but nothing exceptional.

If we miss out on Papley and the Adelaide pick falls to 7 with a great thumping of the cows this weekend and north getting up I'd just love to see Lachie Ash taken, don't think we'll be hitting the draft with the pick regardless but boy is he exciting to watch and would be a handy player to replace SPS off half back once he is ready for midfield full time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best/highest rated small forwards might be Caleb Serong and Cody weightman. Serong will be gone by our pick but wieghtman will be there. Wieghtman might be a late first round pick. He’s worth reading about. I also like the look of Pickett.

So if we get Cogs and miss out on a bevy of small forwards, is the plan to trade the Crows pick for 2 picks later in the draft to get a quality small forward and another player?

I personally think we are a very low chance of using our first draft pick and it will be used in a trade, but assuming we do go to the draft and presuming we end up with pick 7 which appears the most likely outcome, who would we go for in your opinion?

I personally think we are a very low chance of using our first draft pick and it will be used in a trade, but assuming we do go to the draft and presuming we end up with pick 7 which appears the most likely outcome, who would we go for in your opinion?

Ash

I like Young (should go high), Stephens and Ash.

If we are going to spend big on free agents, and I hope we do, then I'd be happy to take the pick to the draft and pick the next Carlton star. Plenty of talent in the top 7-8, thanks Crows.

Good draft hand, plenty of ways to package picks to move up the order and GWS will be looking for pick swaps to improve their position on Ash.

If and it’s a big if, we get Cogs, I’d really like the club to take a first rounder to the draft, we still have plenty of holes to fill and important players coming to the end of their careers.

A ruckman, running defender and small forwards are a must.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back