Autopsy Jared & Jasper's revenge: North v Port, round 22, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 34 Bounces

Polec 31 (30w, 1i)
Dumont 30 (17w, 13i)
Simpkin 28 (17i, 11w)
Higgins 26 (16i, 10w)
Cunnington 25
Ziebell 15
Anderson (inj) 10
Thomas 5

Rucks:
Goldstein 31
Larkey 3

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
Cunnington 7
Goldstein 6
Dumont 3
Ziebell 2
Simpkin 2
Thomas 1
Turner 1

1st Half - 17

Polec 15 (14w, 1i)
Dumont 15 wing
Cunnington 14
Simpkin 13 (8i, 5w)
Higgins 12
Ziebell 9
Anderson 7

Goldstein 16
Larkey 1

2nd Half - 17

Polec 16 wing
Dumont 15 (2w)
Simpkin 15 (9i, 6w)
Higgins 14 (10w, 4i)
Cunnington 11
Ziebell 6
Thomas 5
Anderson 3

Goldstein 15
Larkey 2

Notes (pertain to the 13 analysed games this season and those analysed from previous seasons 2015-8):
- Few games have 34 bounces, so predictably plenty of players registered season highs (from the 13 games analysed) and 1 had a career high (from all analysed games dating back to 2015)...
- Dumont: Career high for analysed games as well as his most inside starts since Rd 23, 2017
- Simpkin: Season high in overall starts and his most wing starts since Rd 17, 2018
- Polec: Club high with his last 31 start game coming in Rd 13, 2018
- Higgins: Season high for overall starts and most wing starts since Rd 9
- Cunnington: Season high
- Goldstein: Season high ruck contests
- Larkey: Equal 2nd highest appearances as the 2nd ruck (with Rds 11 & 16). He had 7 starts in Rd 9, with his other 6 games featuring either 1 or 2 starts

Thanks BB. Always appreciate this info from you.

This match should actually be earmarked as an all out must win from the club's perspective.

Port are 5 straight against us.

The following North Melbourne players have never experienced beating Port Adelaide while playing in blue & white:

Marley Williams
Jed Anderson
Shaun Higgins
Taylor Garner
Jy Simpkin
Jared Polec (ahem)
Trent Dumont
Paul Ahern
Jasper Pittard (ahem)
Nick Larkey
Sam Durdin
Tarryn Thomas
Kayne Turner
Mason Wood
Cameron Zurhaar

Take out the Port recruits themselves plus any 1st year players and more than 50% of our current best 22 have never beaten Port Adelaide.

Note: the knock-on effect of upsetting them only to give * a free pass to stay in the 8 does disturb me too however
Them, Geelong and * all have winning records against us that go back to 2016-14. We need to end the run.

I want revenge for this in 2008 costing us top 4. If we can end their season Saturday night beautiful

View attachment 725717
11076645.jpg

In many years, you'll rock your grandchildren on your knees and reminisce "I was there that day when we dominated Port Adelaide for a quarter."

Note: that day was horrid. I was o/s and woke up figuring a home game against a bottom opponent from interstate was a mere formality to earn the reward of a top 4 spot and double chance.

Pulled the laptop out to start getting excited about finals and saw the reality. Nearly walked straight into the bath with it plugged in.

This club has been finding new and original ways to s**t the bed when things are looking up for 20 years and counting.
It was Shannon’s 300th that day. Completely laid down for a club great in his milestone match and lost a free shot at a sore and wiltering Geelong who we pushed the week before and who barely fell across the line against St Kilda the week after.
Port had nothing to gain via draft pick or saving the coaches job by winning. Nothing.
It's like from 2005 onwards they've paid us back with interest for all the s**t we'd put them through previously.

2005 - complete humiliation in a final on our home ground. A friggin docklands stadium final to boot!

2007 - complete humiliation in a final for Archer's last game in a season that had been resuscitated to a decent standard

2008 - the aforementioned Port have nothing to gain, get comprehensively embarrassed on our home deck and lose almost everything "dead rubber"

On top of that we gave them friggin Choppy who provided them with their first ever chance to belt out their moving "beer ad" sounding song after playing us.

I'm starting to wonder if someone at Arden Street made a devil's deal for 6 years of pleasure following by 16+ years of pain when it comes to Port Adelaide?
Just quoting from the preview thread here KC and nothing gives me more happiness that
1) we broke a 5 game losing streak
2) heading into the game they had just watched Adelaide get belted and we’re booking tickets to September
3) in a game where we had nothing to play for the literally threw their season away and will look back at what a shameful display it was. Justice for 2008 restored

And 4) their cheersquads drummer should have been thrown into the harbour post match. Was cringey as * and ours isn’t much better

Just quoting from the preview thread here KC and nothing gives me more happiness that
2) heading into the game they had just watched Adelaide get belted and we’re booking tickets to September
3) in a game where we had nothing to play for the literally threw their season away and will look back at what a shameful display it was. Justice for 2008 restored

And 4) their cheersquads drummer should have been thrown into the harbour post match. Was cringey as fu** and ours isn’t much better

Should we establish a firm, call ourselves the Arden street elite and start meeting opposition supporters ala English football back in the day?

And 4) their cheersquads drummer should have been thrown into the harbour post match. Was cringey as fu** and ours isn’t much better

Thanks for doing the legwork tazaa !

Yeh as much as it was a dead rubber a lot of wrongs were righted on Saturday night.

Late to the party but anyway..

Was all content to sit in the trackies and take in the game on Saturday.

Then somehow under an our out from the game, thoughts of Scott Thompson retiring, last home game for a 100 years.. thoughts of "well someone has to go" got too loud and hastily got ready and rushed in.

Even pondered during the commute why I gave up a nice cushy spot on the couch with a glass of red for an inevitable trademark humiliation to port.

Well obviously, glad I did!

Fantastic win, pretty much every player fired on all cylinders. Tune up a couple of set shots and we just beat a top 8 side by 100 pts. WTF.

We did have the odd late season romp over lowly sides under Scott but never cantered like this over a supposed "contender".

A couple of people on here negatively commented on the crowd - I thought the crowd were fantastic. Even visually people were pretty distributed throughout the stadium but the noise and engagement was fantastic. The team came to play and so did they.

My only complaint is that Scott Thompson should now reconsider his career plans for 2020.

Late to the party but anyway..

Was all content to sit in the trackies and take in the game on Saturday.

Then somehow under an our out from the game, thoughts of Scott Thompson retiring, last home game for a 100 years.. thoughts of "well someone has to go" got too loud and hastily got ready and rushed in.

Even pondered during the commute why I gave up a nice cushy spot on the couch with a glass of red for an inevitable trademark humiliation to port.

Well obviously, glad I did!

Fantastic win, pretty much every player fired on all cylinders. Tune up a couple of set shots and we just beat a top 8 side by 100 pts. WTF.

We did have the odd late season romp over lowly sides under Scott but never cantered like this over a supposed "contender".

A couple of people on here negatively commented on the crowd - I thought the crowd were fantastic. Even visually people were pretty distributed throughout the stadium but the noise and engagement was fantastic. The team came to play and so did they.

My only complaint is that Scott Thompson should now reconsider his career plans for 2020.
Given where our season was at, 17k was a reasonable crowd, and a very noisy one.
I went with my youngest boy, as the older one was away at school camp. He's still filthy he missed a game like this. Just goes to show that sometimes even a supposedly meaningless game can bring enjoyment. The fact it was a team fighting for the finals, and not a Gold Coast type opposition obviously made it better. But the fact we paid one back to Port was particularly pleasing - we owed them several of these.

2020 needs more games at Docklands.
Beat Dogs by 25
Beat Tigers by 37
Beat Pies by 44
Beat Hawks by 22
Beat Power by 86

To win 5 out of 6 in the second half of the year shows the gameplan and style under Shaw is tailored for Docklands.

Our biggest hindrance to finals in 2020 is playing games in Hobart. Move them the * back.
No Bulls comment on selling games is the biggest backfire post this year.

I formed the ASE over 10 years ago.

It has 3 members.

Ahh the silly young wild days. Werribee Vs Port GF 93, sang "Port take it up the arse" after they lost while walking past a grand stand full of their supporters. Yeah they didnt like it and had them jumping at me from 3 rows back lol. 94 North v geelong, Ablett mark - lets just say all Geelong supporters in the area scattered and few seats mightve accidentally broke. Too old for that s**t now tho.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if i wouldve qualified. Werribee Vs Port GF 93, sang "Port take it up the arse" after they lost while walking past a grand stand full of their supporters. Yeah they didnt like it and had them jumping at me from 3 rows back lol. Too old for that s**t now tho.

A couple of my mates played for Port in that match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back