Recommitted Todd Goldstein [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope he does stay - its more that some teams could really use him 5 weeks.

Grundy had 21 touches, a goal and 56 hit outs in the prelim. That's massive and he did what he liked and set the tone for the game.

Lycett is a good ruck and the double team worked really well and they did a number on Grundy. Boyd was nearly BOG and played out of his skin - form that he was never able to match again and Simon Madden couldn't have helped the Crows win in 2017.

My point is if I was Essendon, Geelong or Richmond I would much prefer to be entering the finals with Goldy than TBC/Clarke, Stanley, Nank/Soldo/Choi.

If Grundy has 56, 21 and a goal then I will be amazed if any of these teams beat the Pies.
Soldo and Chol covered him well.
Hopefully he signs up again and stays a North Melb champ.

If Draper really does get stupid money offers from the Saints iI would not be against taking Goldstein on for 2 years while we develop another young ruck.
I would be as it probably means we're paying two mid-tier, 30 year old rucks an above average salary for one to sit in the twos until the other gets injured. Bellcho and Goldy are incompatible IMO, you can have one or the other because we won't be playing both.

I would be as it probably means we're paying two mid-tier, 30 year old rucks an above average salary for one to sit in the twos until the other gets injured. Bellcho and Goldy are incompatible IMO, you can have one or the other because we won't be playing both.
You can’t compare Bellchambers and Goldy. It’s as close as Dumont and Merrett.

Nah. The last three premiers have shown you don’t need elite players at this position.

Only the top end guys like Grundy, Nic Nat and Gawn are game winners.

Nic Nat is currently being re-assembled in a factory, so I'm not sure how many game's he will win anyone

at his devastating best against hawthorn with his work around the ground but he would be better off somewhere else as our more brutal approach and more brutish mids are better served with a more robust ruckman who would simply thump the ball forward and the mids simply run forward to it.

Last edited:
I've heard whispers that Saints have a large offer on the table. Likely to earn North an end of 1st round compensation pick. Good luck at Saints Goldstein. You'll be missed.

Is it true he has a 3 year offer from the Saints? Will North match 3 years?
Saints is a bizarre option. Not in a window and have Marshall who has been great in 2019. Goldy has shown he doesn’t work well as a joint ruck.

It’s Pruess to the Dees all over again.

Stanley is fine. By the end of round 1 had managed to grind Grundy down and win the battle.
We don't need a cooked Goldstein.
This quote is getting worse and worse.

Goldstein just produced as good a game as any ruckman has this year and Stanley is battling away in the VFL.

34 disposals, 19 contested, 9 clearances, 9 hit outs to advantage, 17 score involvements and the icing on the cake a goal.

Cooked?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldstein just produced as good a game as any ruckman has this year and Stanley is battling away in the VFL.

34 disposals, 19 contested, 9 clearances, 9 hit outs to advantage, 17 score involvements and the icing on the cake a goal.

Cooked?

Thats alltrue but he is staying at North so the relevance is what?

Thats alltrue but he is staying at North so the relevance is what?
I’ll be happy when it’s locked away.

Calling him cooked was really poor. He is the third best ruck in the comp and the Cats win yesterday with him playing and your best defender in the backline.

I’ll be happy when it’s locked away.

Calling him cooked was really poor. He is the third best ruck in the comp and the Cats win yesterday with him playing and your best defender in the backline.

Hes definitely not cooked. Many clubs would take him FA if he wanted to leave but i doubt he does. Also Geelongs issues in the ruck have been known since 2012 they are fairly obvious to anyone.

Cooked?
How did he go against the cats champ

How did he go against the cats champ
Good - hitouts 42 v 21. That’s a decent hiding. Kicked all our goals as well!!

Not having an AFL level ruck cost you top spot and big chance will be a reason you lose a final this year. It’s your biggest hole by a long way.

Saints is a bizarre option. Not in a window and have Marshall who has been great in 2019. Goldy has shown he doesn’t work well as a joint ruck.

It’s Pruess to the Dees all over again.

When Marshall looked like he done a knee I imagine sphincters tightened and minds sharpened at the Saints.

There is nothing in the cupboard behind Marshall with Pierce and Longer likely to retire from concussion injuries.

If Marshall goes down we are absolutely and royally fooked.

If Draper really does get stupid money offers from the Saints iI would not be against taking Goldstein on for 2 years while we develop another young ruck.
I'd offer, even with Draper staying.
Draper is unlikely to get on an AFL park in 2020. Will need recovery time (proper recovery time Essendon), and then will need a good chunk of VFL to regain touch.
Could be a late season debut at best.

In the meantime another season relying on TBC's body is a big risk

2020 - Goldy - TBC - Draper recovers
2021 - Goldy - Draper - TBC
2022 - Draper - see where Goldy & TBC are at...may need to draft in some more depth by then

Sticking point would be 3 years he's after for any club, perhaps 2 years with certain criteria met to activate a 3 year?

I'd offer, even with Draper staying.
Draper is unlikely to get on an AFL park in 2020. Will need recovery time (proper recovery time Essendon), and then will need a good chunk of VFL to regain touch.
Could be a late season debut at best.

In the meantime another season relying on TBC's body is a big risk

2020 - Goldy - TBC - Draper recovers
2021 - Goldy - Draper - TBC
2022 - Draper - see where Goldy & TBC are at...may need to draft in some more depth by then

I always think you're talking about the great ruck you're about to recruit To Be Confirmed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back