Preview Changes: R23 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, clear as day. And I don’t think it can be put down to Pies having put their cue in the rack because they kept kicking goals til the last

He doesn’t have a big body but quick thinking and quick movements. Must persist with
Agree. Really needs to hit the gym and put on some size. Once he puts on that size will be a very good player.

I like post 82 onwards. We do not work at running. Football is about running. We just don't do it. We jog. We man up after possession. We amble with backs to the play . The game plan is absolute rubbish.
I've liked the few times we've taken the game on this year and looked a million dollars. It's as if Pyke was told by everyone to get a plan B, and that's all he wants to play now. It's like NO... it's only to be used in emergencies!

Watched the replay and did anyone else notice that the few times in the last when CJ was in the centre, we got the ball out. He was even standing Pendles
It’s one of the things that bothers me about his draft selection. Looks a great kid and a fine inside clearance player. This is on top of both Crouches and Sloane who are the same.

Starting to feel like the Jones selection won’t do anything to bring balance to our midfield. Another ball hunter.

I've liked the few times we've taken the game on this year and looked a million dollars. It's as if Pyke was told by everyone to get a plan B, and that's all he wants to play now. It's like NO... it's only to be used in emergencies!
There is a time and place for playing possession football. That time is when the opposition has momentum, having kicked 3-4 goals in quick succession. By retaining possession, you take away their momentum, denying them the ability to continue scoring quickly. Once you've regained control, you should then return to a more proactive gameplan, one which actually has a chance of scoring.

The problem is that our players have gone completely into their shells. They start with the ultra-defensive chip-chip-chip-turnover possession gameplan from the first bounce, and no longer appear to have any capacity for playing a more aggressive run-and-gun style which actually creates scoring opportunities.

Being totally bereft of hope and confidence, their work rates have dropped away dramatically, resulting in a collapse of the defensive systems which previously kept us in the game (despite our offensive failings).

Why the players have been instructed to play this abominable chip-chip-chip-turnover gameplan is something which Pyke needs to answer.

Not just the chip kicking but also overusing handball and getting ourselves into trouble. I've lost count how many times a player has given the ball off to somebody with a man breathing down their neck. Our players basic awareness of opposition players has been s**t this season.

Not just the chip kicking but also overusing handball and getting ourselves into trouble. I've lost count how many times a player has given the ball off to somebody with a man breathing down their neck. Our players basic awareness of opposition players has been s**t this season.

so many times my 12yo shook his head and muttered 'hospital pass' on the weekend. If he can see it...

Part of the reason for that is the lack of movement upfield. Our players look for a longer option, see none, so they pass the bomb to the next player in line. How many times do we see players appealing for someone to create an option further up the field, only to pass the ball backwards or sideways when none of their teammates moves?

And our forwards playing way too high up the ground making a smooth transition from defence to half forward almost impossible and almost all our forward entries far to shallow. The game plan we have adopted this season is a complete abomination. People are looking in the wrong area if they think it's down to the players who are completely devoid of any passion and greatly down on confidence trying to execute an absolute dog of a game plan.

Last edited:
Other teams seem to have gotten so good at kamikaze, swarm ball movement.

They just run and handball through congested areas, backing themselves to keep control of the ball. They often give the ball to a player under pressure too but that player is expecting it and offloads the ball instantly. They just keep it moving, have numbers running in support, back their skill level to retain the ball.

Play on instinctively and have faith that an option up field will present itself or an opportunity will open up. They don't wait for it to happen. They don't seemed concerned with the consequences. Just do it.

By contrast we cautiously crawl up the field, petrified of creating a turnover.

Last edited:
Part of the reason for that is the lack of movement upfield. Our players look for a longer option, see none, so they pass the bomb to the next player in line. How many times do we see players appealing for someone to create an option further up the field, only to pass the ball backwards or sideways when none of their teammates moves?
Yep. "Make it someone elses problem" has been the theme of our season.

They just run and handball through congested areas, backing themselves to keep control of the ball. They often give the ball to a player under pressure too but that player is expecting it an offloads the ball instantly. They just keep it moving, have numbers running in support, back their skill level to retain the ball.

Play on instinctively and have faith that an option up field will present itself or an opportunity will open up. They don't wait for it to happen. They don't seemed concerned with the consequences. Just do it.

Yep. Need to get back to that Neil Craig football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. "Make it someone elses problem" has been the theme of our season.
It's hard to be critical of the player passing the problem, when the reason they're doing so is a complete lack of alternatives. They wouldn't be passing the parcel if their teammates up the field were actually giving them options, instead of impersonating statues.

When we play the fast ball movement game by hand we look a million dollars, but it is not without risk. Sometimes you get that incredible flow of hand to hand that goes end to end and it looks amazing, but a matter of millimeters could see it end up anywhere (which is when we get the turnovers). But I'd much rather them at least try that, than go into the ultra defensive chip kick game (that frankly, they just don't have the ability to carry off).

It's hard to be critical of the player passing the problem, when the reason they're doing so is a complete lack of alternatives. They wouldn't be passing the parcel if their teammates up the field were actually giving them options, instead of impersonating statues.
Fair point but if its a choice between turning it over in our forward line vs turning it over on the wing, I'd probably rather they just kick the ball long.

When we play the fast ball movement game by hand we look a million dollars, but it is not without risk. Sometimes you get that incredible flow of hand to hand that goes end to end and it looks amazing, but a matter of millimeters could see it end up anywhere (which is when we get the turnovers). But I'd much rather them at least try that, than go into the ultra defensive chip kick game (that frankly, they just don't have the ability to carry off).
Think its mainly because our ball movement is predictable and oppo coaches know how to shutdown our forward ball movement. They also know if we chip it around the backlines then eventually we kick it long with average kicks and they flood to the contest and forward of the play waiting for our turnovers.

Injury list as of Tuesday, August 20

Knight (Hip) - Test
Kelly (Shin) - Test
Hamill (Calf) - Test
McHenry (Back) - 1 week
McPherson (Hamstring) - 1-2 weeks
Hunter (Foot) - 2 weeks
Ellis-Yolmen (Shin) - Season
Doedee (ACL) - Season

Love how we ruled out CEY for the season yet Hunter is set to return in 2 weeks... after Mad Monday 😂

Knight (Hip) - Test
Kelly (Shin) - Test
Hamill (Calf) - Test
McHenry (Back) - 1 week
Hunter (Foot) - 2 weeks
Doedee (ACL) - Season

Love how we ruled out CEY for the season yet Hunter is set to return in 2 weeks... after Mad Monday 😂
There is still the SANFL games though, yeah? So CEY won't be playing for the rest of the season, but Hunter could be available.

Knight (Hip) - Test
Kelly (Shin) - Test
Hamill (Calf) - Test
McHenry (Back) - 1 week
Hunter (Foot) - 2 weeks
Doedee (ACL) - Season

They're copping some heat on Facebook regarding the CEY news.

I wonder if he's had a falling out with the coaches and has already told them he's going.

They just run and handball through congested areas, backing themselves to keep control of the ball. They often give the ball to a player under pressure too but that player is expecting it an offloads the ball instantly. They just keep it moving, have numbers running in support, back their skill level to retain the ball.

And then we turn it over anyway.

Would hate to be a forward in our team.

They just run and handball through congested areas, backing themselves to keep control of the ball. They often give the ball to a player under pressure too but that player is expecting it and offloads the ball instantly. They just keep it moving, have numbers running in support, back their skill level to retain the ball.

They can do it because they have a plus 1 sometimes a plus 2 in defense to share it with. We refuse to put extras back, so even if we get a turnover mark, all our players are manned up (or are after 4 or 5 seconds, and even before that they dont have much separation). So then we have to wait for things to open up down the ground from mids mostly, whereas oppo's method means theyre already off to the races gunning it down the ground constantly calm because there'll be support coming from behind to link up with.

They're copping some heat on Facebook regarding the CEY news.

I wonder if he's had a falling out with the coaches and has already told them he's going.
OR... his injury hasn't healed and they want to get him right for next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back