Universal Love Thanks Ross! (Positive comments only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Mods, feel free to delete this if there's already too many Ross threads but...

Regardless on your views of Ross, he is our greatest ever coach and took us to our finest moments.

My three favourite are pretty obvious:
The finals win at the MCG in 2012 against Geelong
The finals win in Geelong against Geelong in 2013
The PF against the Swans in 2013

Another favourite is the day we landed Ross. Just brilliant!

I always said that when Ross left regardless of what happened I wouldn't turn into a bitter supporter towards Ross like saints fans are.

Thanks for the memories Ross. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye but I'm glad you were part of Freo's story.

The mantra that we were a "no excuses football club" was emblematic of the professionalism he brought to us in those first years. He was tough and brilliant and exactly what we needed at the time. Thanks Ross.

Good idea for a thread giving the annoying vitriol in some of the other threads.

Ross, there is no way you'll ever read anything here but thank you for everything you gave our club. Without a doubt, our greatest coach and you brought in a new era of professionalism and respect for the club, the likes we hadnt been given before.

Your contribution to the history of the Fremantle Football Club should never be forgotten

The day we sacked Mark Harvey, Fremantle Football Club finally decided to stand up and be ruthless and a force.
Had to be done. Ross came in, implemented a style in 2012, got 40 players on board and got into the Semi Finals first year in. 2013 was even better, really enjoyed watching us. Everyone will say he's defensive. Don't care. Would be up by 10 points, ala against Geelong in 2013 QF and yet still would be enough to win. I miss that tbh. Best defensive team in the comp, so hard to score against. Freo would hold on to a lead and make it damn hard to give up.

Rejuvenated players' careers- Crowley told to trim down (when Harvey was on the verge of delisting him), gave Walters an ultimatum, Clancee Pearce got given a lifeline, Dawson came across (against all fans' wishes) and was a rock for us. Tendai Mzungu became a reliable clubman, De Boer was great.
McPharlin AA under his time, Pavlich, MJ, Sandi, Fyfe all dominated. Just missed 2-3 cattle that were injured. What could've been.
The greatest day of my life at the time in 2013 GF. Never forget that. 100% believe only Ross would've done that. Harvey would've choked, destroyed the list and probably resign anyway if he stayed afew years.

Ends as Fremantle's best ever coach- 175 games coached. 92 wins. Winning percentage of 53%, even though we've had losing seasons since 2016.
Thanks, indeed Ross. 'Anytime, Anywhere'.

Within months we became known for the things that had never been linked to Fremantle before. A hard, well drilled team who tackled like mad and never gave up.

He has been our most successful coach and the club showed some character by going out and getting him.

Before Lyon we had never played consecutive finals, never played in a grand final and never finished top of the ladder, that's all changed now.

Went to my first grand final in 2013 and had a ball despite the loss. But my favourite memory is still the week before with the home prelim against Sydney, that first half felt like about the best football Fremantle has ever played and the second half when we knew we were going to the grand final was pure celebration. The Freo chant while the Mexican wave went around Subi was something else.

Thanks Lyon, you did a lot for Fremantle.

Last edited:
Thanks Ross. Got us to our first GF with a few stars and a whole lot of role players, which the players lost against one of the greatest teams of the era by only 15 due to inaccurate kicking at goal. Don't worry RBB, being let down by Freo is something we've all had to come to terms with many times over.

Has given us some fantastic memories, not the least his sparring with the West Coast media each week.

Have to say this has been a hard year to be a Freo supporter after such a bright start, but like raffrox I will never be bitter and twisted towards Ross. He did his best and in the end fell short, but he certainly doesn't deserve some of the vitriol he has copped on here.

All the best for the future Ross, you are a huge part of our history and I think we will reap the rewards over the next few years.

Thanks to Ross, we've been in muliple seasons of finals, won an AFL season (sadly, not a premiership to go with it) and ridden some almighty highs.

Was in Geelongistan to see Hill take off from the interchange to goal, I flew over to watch us pulverise the Swans to the cheers of MCG, MCG. Was in the purple army marching from Federation Square to the MCG.

Thanks for the ride and all the best with your future endeavours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Undoubtedly the best coach this football club has had, most of the ride from 2012-2015 was simply amazing. Even after that some of our wins that we’ve pulled off the last few seasons (Dogs 2017, Geelong/GWS/Pies 2019) have been great memories as well. Didn’t end like we all hoped it might, but thanks for everything you brought Ross and being the first coach to make us a serious football club

Thanks Ross. It was you who brought a tough, competitive and professional edge to the club. Before your appointment the gap between our best and worst performances (usually away) was staggering. We couldn't win away, on a big occasion for the club or even on a Friday night. Within 4 rounds of your appointment we'd done all 3 (albeit the same game).

You took us to our first away finals win with a game that shook the competition and rewrote the narrative. You gave us the best memories I've ever had as a Freo fan: Flying to Geelong to knock them off in the only ever final played there. I got to see my team play on the last Saturday in September on the MCG, and parade down the streets of Melbourne the day before. I got to see the streets of Melbourne littered with Purple Paraphernalia in the biggest shock to my 24 year old eyes at the time.

Thank you for establishing our club Ross, thank you so much for the wonderful memories. May you find what you're looking for elsewhere.

Most of what I want to say has already been said

That 2012-2015 period was exciting, hopeful and there was an expectancy amongst the club and fans that we were creating something special and with Ross at the helm, it looked very likely

He brought a steely toughness to the group that was unmatched and the bit-part-players he utilised in that time epitomised his legacy - thinking Suban, DeBoer, Barlow, Mzungu, CPearce - even Barlow to a degree.

Thank you, Ross

#purplenecktiesoutforRoss

Very clearly the best coach we have ever had, presiding over the most successful period we have had.

I think probably overally Ross is a bit unfairly maligned. He has his clear and obvious weaknesses as a coach that are well documented, but I think was hamstrung by a series of recruiting failures that occurred before he got here and also during his early tenure. Not upset to see him go, but neither would I have been upset the other way.

like a lot of our former players, Ross deserved a premiership with us, and regardless of immediate events he should go down in history as a giant of the Fremantle Football Club.

thanks Ross

Kudos for the best coach we have ever had, for a few short years he actually made our club relevant and respected although he has lost this the last few years.

Also feeling for him and his family as although many coaches eventually get sacked t is the first time he has been fired as an assistant or senior coach??? so ego would be taking a big hit

One thing I didn’t mention earlier that I should’ve - the way he turned careers around in the early years in particular was amazing. Obviously Son Son, but guys like Crowls as well

Thank you Ross. I was at the 2013 final against Geelong and the 2013 GF. It was a hell of a ride, you've had some incredible bad luck in your coaching career. I hope you get another shot at it.

Our best coach we ever had, became a Fremantle person through and through so shattered to lose him.

Was hoping for him to finally get that premiership and prove those doubters wrong, it would sit hand in hand with Fremantle as a club tbh

RTB will always be the scapegoat for defensive footy but he was a genuinely good coach, I'm sure he will be snapped up by another club very quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back