Coach My case for Brad Scott as the next AFC coach

I don't know why we would want a retread, especially if the decision is made to get younger and rebuild. We are looking at 2-3 years at the bottom of the ladder and the last thing we need is that guy in the box.

There are plenty of quality coaches in the competition and just like we are supposed to do with players we select in the draft...the organization must conduct due diligence and identify a guy who can first and foremost teach the game and connect to his players without the need for pizza and beer.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
The point you make is why I'd want someone with some experience.
No. That was not my point.

I understand that you think BScott would be a good choice and you made your case well.
BScott is very experienced, but 'experienced' is not as appealing as "successful". BScott was shown the door after NM's sustained failure and (as
North improving when Shaw took over doesn't make me believe Brad Scott would be a very good candidate.
pointed out) NM has improved since he left.

My point was that the AFC is not an attractive option for anybody with career Coaching aspirations. The Crows' problems are at all levels --- Admin/ Coaching Staff/ playing personnel.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
No. That was not my point.

I understand that you think BScott would be a good choice and you made your case well.
BScott is very experienced, but 'experienced' is not as appealing as "successful". BScott was shown the door after NM's sustained failure and (as
pointed out) NM has improved since he left.

My point was that the AFC is not an attractive option for anybody with career Coaching aspirations. The Crows' problems are at all levels --- Admin/ Coaching Staff/ playing personnel.

Ok, you said that whoever came in would have to do what they were told by roo etc.

That was the point I was referring to.

If you actually think that no-one would come as the head coach, because of the problems our club has ... you are wrong.

In fact, the opportunity to fix big problems ... The challenge ... Can be a very enticing thing. 20+ years of under achieving provides a great opportunity to the right person.

Adelaide football club gets ticks in a lot of areas, so coming to a financially stable club with a huge supporter base that has top training facilities and plays at one of the best arenas in the world ... Would generally be a good start for most coaches. The fact we need our football department and playing list revamped and reset ... That's not the end of the world at all.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
For the cattle he's had I think B Scott is probably a better coach than C Scott!

Lots of positives but as senior coach one negative I couldn't look past given where the AFC sits right now is his dismissive nature towards club culture. In that regard, his view was too narrow and ultimately self-defeating. I think we've sadly reached the point where it's not just the team that needs heart but the whole club needs a rethink.

As a hard-arsed, methodical footy manager who will go to war for his staff and not necessarily need to be a cultural figurehead for the club...yes please.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Ok, you said that whoever came in would have to do what they were told by roo etc.

That was the point I was referring to.

If you actually think that no-one would come as the head coach, because of the problems our club has ... you are wrong.

In fact, the opportunity to fix big problems ... The challenge ... Can be a very enticing thing. 20+ years of under achieving provides a great opportunity to the right person.

Adelaide football club gets ticks in a lot of areas, so coming to a financially stable club with a huge supporter base that has top training facilities and plays at one of the best arenas in the world ... Would generally be a good start for most coaches. The fact we need our football department and playing list revamped and reset ... That's not the end of the world at all.

Edit: Yours is a good, thoughtful perspective I hadn't really considered. This:
"The fact we need our football department and playing list revamped and reset ... That's not the end of the world at all." made me wonder two things.
1) Why has Pyke not insisted on getting his own assistants?
It's clear to all of us that Campo is well past his use-by date. We have midfield talent who get huge numbers of possessions, yet we often get beaten at clearances/stoppages and their defensive pressure on oppo mids almost non-existent** (below). Hart is not a forward Coach's ahole.
2) How is the Club going to get rid of Fagan/Chapman/Roo and why are Burton/Hass still on the payroll?

**(above) I remember in 2017 when we played and belted GWS, one passage of play stood out. After a throw-in when Sauce tapped to one of our blokes, our whole midfield unit ran forward while the GWS mids stood flat-footed and did not chase, giving us free players to run and overlap.
2 years later it's the other way around. Oppo players/mids get the ball and their teammates hare off in support with them while our blokes stop and watch.
That's a huge and dismal change in attitude and effort.

Last edited:

subaru

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Peoples!
PEOPLES!

I was kidding !🤣🤣🤣

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Ross Lyon as head of football... Yes please.

Really? Another one that favours playing the established players and running a list in to the ground? Another one who wants teams to kick sideways and backwards and to give forwards zero chance to score?
Not sure we need that....

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very rarely sacked coaches are recycled. I’m not sure why as they should be better candidates second time around I would think.

He would have studied why he was deficient and unsuccessful. There would have been a lineup of experts with their own opinions on his failings and North Melbourne would have made themselves clear why he was sacked.

With that knowledge I would see any sacked coach changing his ways for the better. Learning from their mistakes and using experience to improve his decision making. I think Brad would be an improved coach this time around.

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very rarely sacked coaches are recycled. I’m not sure why as they should be better candidates second time around I would think.

He would have studied why he was deficient and unsuccessful. There would have been a lineup of experts with their own opinions on his failings and North Melbourne would have made themselves clear why he was sacked.

With that knowledge I would see any sacked coach changing his ways for the better. Learning from their mistakes and using experience to improve his decision making. I think Brad would be an improved coach this time around.
I don't know where you've worked in the past, but I have rarely ever seen an organization or individual that is introspective and honest with themselves in this manner. I seriously doubt a football club is where we'd find it.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really? Another one that favours playing the established players and running a list in to the ground? Another one who wants teams to kick sideways and backwards and to give forwards zero chance to score?
Not sure we need that....
Yeah, but on the upside ... he's not Burton.

Back