Who's closer to a flag? Adelaide, Port Adelaide or Fremantle?

Who wins their next flag before the others?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
It's a hard vote

Port have really good young talent (Houston, Duursma, Butters, Rozee, Ladhams) but have some blokes who are hard to replace (Boak and Gray) that are getting old while also having a bottom 3 coach

Adelaide suffer from really bad decisions and ageing players (Walker, Betts, Douglas, Gibbs). I rate Pyke but I think he's lost the players.

Freo have some really good top end talent (Walters, Fyfe, Hill, Pearce) with some decent young blokes coming up (Darcy, Brayshaw, Tucker, Logue) but we have terrible depth and a terrible medical team which is the worst combination possible. We have terrible coaching staff as well not just Ross.

The Dockers tragic in me wants to say Freo but I think once Rozee and co have a few more years under their belt and Hinkley is gone they're right up there

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Probably Fremantle based on a proper re-generation list policy in recent years.
Port going for Motlop, Watts, Rockliff, Dixon, Ryder, Trengove, Thomas and McKenzie has not got them what they wanted in last two years. Least they realized this was not working and quickly tried to get in some youth last draft period which they did well with Rozee, Butters and Duursma. Need a lot more than that as Gray and others will be gone before too long but it is least a step in right direction.
Crows are a basketcase so they will get worse before penny will drop they need a total overhaul off field first and then they can start on some list decisions with anyone that has a clue. Who knows when the penny will fully drop though.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Port - only because they have some good kids coming through in Duursma, Rozee, Ladhams and co.
And the ability to move on some players if they wanted to target an elite talent or some top end youth in Rankine/Lukosius/Hately (i.e. Wines, Ryder, Hartlett).

Crows have hit a ceiling and will need to embrace a rebuild (a la the 2-3 year ones we get now).

Freo i just don't see the top end talent coming through to deliver one. Hill likely leaves this year. So thats Fyfe & Walters as out and out guns.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
None of the current cores will see a premiership, imo. Thoroughly mediocre teams, but I do agree Port probably have the best young talent. I'd have to give all three a big fail for this year, even if either Adelaide side get into the 8, unless they pull off something miraculous. I'd go as far to say they're the teams furthest away from a flag aside from Gold Coast.

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
None of the current cores will see a premiership, imo. Thoroughly mediocre teams, but I do agree Port probably have the best young talent. I'd have to give all three a big fail for this year, even if either Adelaide side get into the 8, unless they pull off something miraculous. I'd go as far to say they're the teams furthest away from a flag aside from Gold Coast.
Unfortunately, can't disagree with that. That's probably what shits me the most. Been a very frustrating season.

CH Jazz

Team Captain
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Suns the only side further away from a flag than the crows.

Port closest by miles.

Freo will contest once Ross is gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Freo have some elite players e.g. Fyfe and Walters in their prime, quality, 24 year old book ends yet to enter their prime in Hogan and Pearce, some handy role players e.g. Lobb, Wilson and Matera and a collection of nice, young talent e.g. Darcy, Brayshaw, Cerra, Logue, Tucker plus they'll add another top 10 pick this year and Liam Henry through the NGA academy. I think their list is well placed to turn things around quickly. They need to keep stock piling quality youth. I think they could use a new coach with some fresh idea's though to help get the best out of this young group.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Freo have some elite players e.g. Fyfe and Walters in their prime, quality, 24 year old book ends yet to enter their prime in Hogan and Pearce, some handy role players e.g. Lobb, Wilson and Matera and a collection of nice, young talent e.g. Darcy, Brayshaw, Cerra, Logue, Tucker plus they'll add another top 10 pick this year and Liam Henry through the NGA academy. I think their list is well placed to turn things around quickly. They need to keep stock piling quality youth. I think they could use a new coach with some fresh idea's though to help get the best out of this young group.
Agreed. Think the Dockers definitely have the right balance of talent to go for a flag the soonest. Having a couple of elite guys for their position in Fyfe and Walters is oh so important, a bit like what Richmond had in the years before going for their flag (Rance, Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin).

I actually have the least faith in us. We need to have a pretty decent clean out in talent over the next few years if we're any chance at a flag. We have some very good players, but a lot of them will be too old when it comes to our next flag (Lynch, Sloane, Walker, Betts). Probably have just as much top tier young talent as Port (Fogarty, Jones, Doedee, McHenry, Doedee, Milera vs Burton, Butters, Rozee, Ladhams, Duursma, SPP) but the Power actually have the guts to give those guys game exposure. Meanwhile, talented guys like Fog and Jones have spent the majority of the year in the SANFL. Means that something's rotten in the coaching/football management staff, too, guys like Pyke/Campo/Hart/Burton must go too

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I think Port, only interesting part will be how their younger players develop. There can be a trap sometimes to assume anyone in the their first year or two of football get better and keep improving gradually each year. History says that doesn't always happen.

All three teams seem happy to just make up the numbers year after year. Port have at least started rejuvenating their list and giving games to the kids. They need to move Hinkley on and maybe move on from Koch.

Freo look disinterested half the time, but can beat anyone on their day. Some early picks are underachieving, but will probably improve with a new coach.

Our club is run by delusional flogs who still think it's 2017. Will be at least five years and two sacked coaches before we play finals again.

benji2

Club Legend
May 19, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Sheffield Wednesday
Suns the only side further away from a flag than the crows.

Port closest by miles.

Freo will contest once Ross is gone.
Well, Ross is gone. Would have said Port before (and still will) but Freo now back in the picture. Then a long way back to the Crows, whose list is headed for the cliff.

On LG-K500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
All three teams seem happy to just make up the numbers year after year. Port have at least started rejuvenating their list and giving games to the kids. They need to move Hinkley on and maybe move on from Koch.

Freo look disinterested half the time, but can beat anyone on their day. Some early picks are underachieving, but will probably improve with a new coach.

Our club is run by delusional flogs who still think it's 2017. Will be at least five years and two sacked coaches before we play finals again.

Maybe a new recruitment manager to get a decent list would help adelaide, Jack Graham played a blinder for the tiges last week he was home grown talent with his old man playing SANFL footy

Back