Coach My case for Brad Scott as the next AFC coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I think given a fresh start Scott could be a really good coach if he addresses some fundamental flaws, needs less faith in sports scientists imo, we started almost every season flat as a tack with woeful skills because sports scientists would say you can only kick the footy this much or run that much, after forced to play two PFs away in a row in 2014 & 15 there was a lot of pressure on Scott to get off to a better start and they adjusted the program so it had the team ready to go from round 1, we won 10 of the first 11 games in 2016 until the injuries piled up and the season was shot. We had really poor depth back then so injuries hurt us a lot, was particularly bad that year though.

After 2016 we kind of went back into the slow burn and he was pretty much sacked this year for what was a bad start to the year but we could still have easily won 13 games this year if we didn't botch games in the last couple of minutes against Brisbane, Essendon and Swans. I don't think the results were the reason, I think Brad approached the board and said we needed a complete rebuild which means bottoming out and getting what we can for mature players with currency. We had tried to address the lack of top-end talent through recruitment but it is pretty hard to get players who do not want to leave their club to go.

I think our drafting/player development hasn't been good enough, we got hit with compromised drafts while Scott was rebuilding, not really his fault for that but we torched a lot of players who showed plenty of promise, but turned a fair few mediocre footballers with low ceilings into solid footballers. I will be curious to see what other moves our club makes outside of getting in Shaw and Rawlings, I think we take too long to develop younger players and they plateau before they become stars, there is no point getting in more good quality kids if you can't turn existing or previous good quality kids into stars.

When we play good footy under Shaw, it more closely resembles the football gameplan Scott had with us in 2012, there was a fallout between the coach and board after the 2012 Elimination finals loss and was forced to try and follow the in-vogue defensive Paul Roos/Ross Lyon negative football, we got in Leigh Tudor who was assistant to Roos same as Lyon and Longmire and later got Jarred Moore and Rhyce Shaw.

I like the aggressive element to the way Shaw has us play but you need more than just stodge, the way we played against Richmond, Collingwood and Port Adelaide was a good blend of aggressive football both defensively and offensively and Shaw said it was basically Scott's game plan, he just tweaked a few minor things, ultimately the difference between then and now is that the players are extracting the digit. The challenge for Shaw will be to try and get them to execute consistently, it has been a problem for Scott and all coaches really. It is the variance between good and bad that determines if a coach ultimately can be successful or not. If we can only kick 1 goal in some games and 22 in others, we just are never going to be consistent enough to matter.

Scott made too many excuses for players for too long, I know you can't spray players or punish them like you used to, but I think there are minimum standards you must expect from your players and the modern coach is really bad at setting and demanding minimum standards.

Article on the 12 potential replacements for Ross

Geez if we are looking for a coach the pickings are slim

Longmuir - yes but he’s got Freo I think
Sumich - doesn’t seem to want to leave WA
Scott - no
Voss - hell no
Burns - too late
Kingsley - maybe?
Nicks - mmm..
Rawlings - pass
Ratten - Saints
Rutten - maybe one day
Solomon - no thanks
Harvey - Harvey who?

Maybe a couple of those as assistants

Scott - no
Voss - hell no
Burns - too late
Kingsley - maybe?
Nicks - mmm..
Rawlings - pass
Ratten - Saints
Rutten - maybe one day
Solomon - no thanks
Harvey - Harvey who?

This is why it's much more important to get a new GM of football with actual experience running a football program and new assistants from outside Adelaide with new ideas than it is to replace Pyke.

In contrast to head coaches, there are some high quality options on the market for these posts this year!

Guaranteed if we replace Pyke we'll end up with one of the spud head coach options on offer for a few years and nothing else will change.

Scott - no
Voss - hell no
Burns - too late
Kingsley - maybe?
Nicks - mmm..
Rawlings - pass
Ratten - Saints
Rutten - maybe one day
Solomon - no thanks
Harvey - Harvey who?

Out of those ...

Ratten would be my top pick, then Scott. (I don't think Ratten will be available.)

I'd want someone who has been HEAD coach at some level, and their last name doesn't rhyme with TOSS.

Longmuir, Burns, Sumich, Nicks all seem like a bigger dice roll.

I'm starting to concede that Pyke might not get moved. It feels like we are going to miss the boat on everyone worthwhile and decide we should stick with the awesome team that got us to a GF in 2017. Oh dear god, help us.

Out of those ...

Ratten would be my top pick, then Scott. (I don't think Ratten will be available.)

I'd want someone who has been HEAD coach at some level, and their last name doesn't rhyme with TOSS.

Longmuir, Burns, Sumich, Nicks all seem like a bigger dice roll.

I'm starting to concede that Pyke might not get moved. It feels like we are going to miss the boat on everyone worthwhile and decide we should stick with the awesome team that got us to a GF in 2017. Oh dear god, help us.

I think we’ll stick with Pyke but change the assistants

It may be false hope but I reckon there’ll be a significant clean out of players and coaches

Didn't matter who we get in... cause they will still be hamstrung by the off field department....

For all of Pyke flaws... you won't achieve much when you don't have the right people under you...

I don't know where you've worked in the past, but I have rarely ever seen an organization or individual that is introspective and honest with themselves in this manner. I seriously doubt a football club is where we'd find it.
I agree completely. It just doesn’t happen. Which I think is a waste.

I think we’ll stick with Pyke but change the assistants

It may be false hope but I reckon there’ll be a significant clean out of players and coaches
When you say 'change assistants' who do you think will be cleared out?

Campo told he's no longer required ?

Hart told that he has not hit his KPIs ?

Obviously we all think that the Head of Football is a massive change that MUST happen ... But who will drive this change? Roo? Fagan? Pyke?

I'm not holding my breath.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

OK - we are at an extreme low. Things can get crazy when it all goes this bad. I get it. But ...

I think Brad Scott would be a good choice as Adelaide's next coach.

He is experienced, passionate, genuine and brutally honest.

He understands the non-Victorian club thing really well. (his time as a player in Brisbane)

He dealt with the moving on of long term players with aplomb.

He had a healthy relationship with his players.

He made North's list better even though they had NO pulling power at all.

He built a really good list of assistants at North.

He did the absolute right thing by North at the end of his tenure ... this may not count in some people's eyes, but for me it shows an integrity I want in our coach. I don't want to hear our coach say "I'm contracted for two more years" as the reason for no-one to question his tenure. (When Jenkins says "I've got a contract" everyone explodes, when Pyke said it a few weeks ago no-one batted an eyelid. To me it's a terrible attitude.)

I compare him to Pyke ... and the other options around the place, and I see some really important points of difference.
This is all well and good, but our group of players are a special bunch and wouldnt like a head coach with Scotts attributes. Dummies would start flying very quickly i think.

Has a better record than Brad Scott.

Excluding his time as a caretaker coach, he took Carlton to finals three times out of five seasons, compared to Scott's four times in nine seasons. Higher winning percentage (slightly). Only had a sub-50% win loss record in one season, compared to four for Scott.

Also has Hawthorn experience
He also had Chris Judd.
Scott had Andrew Swallow.

I find it disturbing how much time Burton spends in the coaching box and with the players out on the field at quarter and three quarter time. Seems to me that apart from all of the failed programs/ideas that Burton has introduced, he also has far too much input into game day desicions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it disturbing how much time Burton spends in the coaching box and with the players out on the field at quarter and three quarter time. Seems to me that apart from all of the failed programs/ideas that Burton has introduced, he also has far too much input into game day decisions

Selection night too.

When you say 'change assistants' who do you think will be cleared out?

Campo told he's no longer required ?

Hart told that he has not hit his KPIs ?

Obviously we all think that the Head of Football is a massive change that MUST happen ... But who will drive this change? Roo? Fagan? Pyke?

I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah I’m not sure either

I suspect Hart might be moved on, we can all see the forward line issues this year

I wouldn’t be surprised if they decided they needed new blood in Campo’s role

Has Godden done enough? Or perhaps the better question is, is there someone with more (any) AFL experience who could take over the midfield, where we’ve struggled all year

I think Mattner stays

We don’t have a Head of Football do we? Do you mean Senior Coach? Or Roo’s position as Football Director?

Getting in someone as a football head is a good idea I think

So yeah I’m not sure who exactly but at a guess I’d predict 2-3 coaching changes

What about Mark Thompson? Do his bail conditions allow him to leave Victoria?

Steady...

We don’t have a Head of Football do we? Do you mean Senior Coach? Or Roo’s position as Football Director?

Getting in someone as a football head is a good idea I think

Adelaide Crows name Brett Burton club's head of football

a0cf3c217a6c39811cd5ac1e3a58e7e2.jpg

On the Freo board they’re also thinking Worsfold as Director of Coaching and Longmuir as senior coach

I’d probably have him here as DoC

I'll just say I've heard whispers he will be at Fremantle in some capacity :)

You guys haven't heard the scuttlebut about Brad Scott? Surely it's done the rounds on BigFooty by now?
I haven't been on in a while so maybe I've just missed it, but in case it hasn't appeared, here goes...

So basically Scott's behaviour and general professionalism increasingly became a problem after signing his last contract (supposedly some employees raised concerns even before that, but I don't have any specifics). I'll list some of the things that I have been told;
  • On more than one occasion, without explaination, failed to attend match committee meetings. The head coach failed to attend match committee. This despite being on the premises at the time that match committee took place.
  • Missed several other scheduled, club related meetings without explaination, for most of which he was on the premises at the time.
  • Missed club functions that he was required to attend despite being on the premises (I know this one has been reported in the media).
  • Sulked in his office for 2 full weeks after NM missed on Dustin Martin in FA. His assistants were required to take on his duties without any direction from him. (Was Martin ever really going to sign there? NM and GWS were just leverage for a better contract weren't they?)
  • Virtually had no relationship with any player under 21 or 22 y/o. He spent next to no time with any of NM's young players, he left this exclusively up to his assistants. Is it any wonder that some very talented kids NM have had haven't really developed until now?
  • Described as writing-off or blacklisting players based on their personality or other non-football related qualities (Cam Zuurhar being an example given).

So I'm not sure that Brad Scott would be a great appointment for AFC, or anyone for that matter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back