Opinion Changes Round 23 Vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

No they wont.

From article... https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-08-14/weve-got-no-choice-but-to-acquiesce-scott

On Wednesday, the AFL ended any prospect of Geelong's matches taking place on its home deck.

AFL fixtures chief Travis Auld told News Corp maximising attendances would be the centrepiece of the finals fixture, meaning the 100,000-capacity MCG would be Victoria's finals venue ahead of GMHBA Stadium or Marvel Stadium.

For this match, Hutch an injury out. Duggan or Ah Chee can come in.

I'd like to see a way to get Cameron in and I think the zip and tackling of Watson would be useful come finals.
There is a lot of call for Rotham to be dropped, but I thought he was pretty good again. Has looked good in 3 out of 3.
AFL Finals should be played at the Premiere ground in each state as earned by current formula
ie. MCG SCG Optus Gabba etc
Not Geelong Bunbury or Newcastle

If we bring in Schofield and Duggan and drop Nelson and Rotham, that's arguably our best defensive setup.

Only change from the GF would be Sheppard in for Cole, which is an upgrade. I'd be surprised if Shep takes the week off - he is very durable.

Masten probably replaces the injured Hutchings. That or a Nelson reshuffle. I don't really care, I doubt the bloke picked last will make a difference to the result.

Petruccelle may be omitted for Cameron. Again, I'm not too concerned here which of these 2 play.

I can't see Ah Chee getting in.

Hutch's hamstring is a massive concern/risk. That's 2 games now where he has been iced up by half time and we have suffered for it. He missed about 6(?) games last time. It's unfortunate, but I'd just about put a line through him for the rest of the year. He's not exactly a Nic Nat who we get back in at all costs no matter the risk. Plus the fact that it is a recurring injury (and a hamstring injury, no less) doesn't help poor Hutch.

If we bring in Schofield and Duggan and drop Nelson and Rotham, that's arguably our best defensive setup.

Only change from the GF would be Sheppard in for Cole, which is an upgrade. I'd be surprised if Shep takes the week off - he is very durable.

Masten probably replaces the injured Hutchings. That or a Nelson reshuffle. I don't really care, I doubt the bloke picked last will make a difference to the result.

Petruccelle may be omitted for Cameron. Again, I'm not too concerned here which of these 2 play.

I can't see Ah Chee getting in.

Hutch's hamstring is a massive concern/risk. That's 2 games now where he has been iced up by half time and we have suffered for it. He missed about 6(?) games last time. It's unfortunate, but I'd just about put a line through him for the rest of the year. He's not exactly a Nic Nat who we get back in at all costs no matter the risk. Plus the fact that it is a recurring injury (and a hamstring injury, no less) doesn't help poor Hutch.

100% agree on hutch. Has to be at least 3-weeks as it is a re-occurrence. Obviously that would mean rolling the dice essentially in a final - not a risk worth taking IMO.

Where's Vardy at? Any chance of a comeback?

Also wouldn't mind AhChee and Cameron for Waterman and Petch.

Cripps needs to play up the ground as per Rioli. Lacking midfield support. Hardly sighted those two around the ball up the ground. Need their run skill and class.

I would like Vardy in. Why? - we will obviously go into finals with 2 rucks and and Oallen will be the 3rd tall, so we should suit up that way on Saturday as a rehearsal. Waterman out. Need fresh run to replace Hutchings, so in with Duggan - he can go through the midfield. I would leave Rotham in. Very assured and promising.

Not often I agree with the AFL website, but they've predicted Masten, Duggan, Schofield in for Hutchings, Nelson, Rotham.

Unless they go for Nelson to tag, which case Masten can't force his way back in. I thought he was unlucky to lose his spot for Hutchings anyway, but hard calls are needed at this time of year.
Could possibly drop Petch for Cameron, but I'd be inclined to keep changes to a minimum.

Looking way too far ahead to finals, could see the obvious Waterman for Naitanui (with Oscar back to 3rd tall forward), and maybe the Petch/Cameron swap depending on form.

Not often I agree with the AFL website, but they've predicted Masten, Duggan, Schofield in for Hutchings, Nelson, Rotham.

Unless they go for Nelson to tag, which case Masten can't force his way back in. I thought he was unlucky to lose his spot for Hutchings anyway, but hard calls are needed at this time of year.
Could possibly drop Petch for Cameron, but I'd be inclined to keep changes to a minimum.

Looking way too far ahead to finals, could see the obvious Waterman for Naitanui (with Oscar back to 3rd tall forward), and maybe the Petch/Cameron swap depending on form.

Nice summary

I tend to agree.
As much as I like Rotham and actually felt he held his own and was far from our worst, Schoeys experience and pressure on the last line may have meant a couple of those bad turnovers didn't happen.

But what is done is done. We have one more game to tweak any positional changes and come up with our best line up.
Rotham had 100% disposal efficiency in the wet. I'd suggest he justified his selection.
Backline errors were made by Shuey, Barrass and Hurn, so how is Rotham copping the blame for destabilising our defence?

I don't get it too. We won the flag with Schoey, Barrass and Gov WHY ARE WE CHANGING THE WINNING BACKLINE FORMULA??
Because Schofield was Sheppards replacement in the finals and Sheppards back now so it changes the set up. I agree that Schofield is handy but it's hard squeezing everyone in sometimes.

Rotham was great, but we need Schoey to lock down. With Hutch doing a 2nd hammy would be unlikely to make finals, need to let Nelson show if he can be our go to tagger come finals time. Give him a job on Wingard or Smith this week, Duggan back to defence

In: Schoey, Duggan
Out: Rotham, Hutch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schoey in for rotham
Duggan to Nelson's position
Nelson/masten to hutchings position
Cameron for petch/Waterman?
Schoey in for rotham - Yes
Duggan to Nelson's position - Yes
Nelson/masten to hutchings position - Yes
Cameron for petch/Waterman? - Cameron pressure was good, but he had an average game in WAFL.

Schoey out of the side coincided with our last 2 losses right? Also of note that our defence was leaky against Collingwood, and against Melbourne. Pretty sure Barrass was manning Fogarty last week as well.

That's a worry. We need Schoey in as our lockdown. Shuts down either Riewoldt or Lynch and we win that game.

Barrass is still developing but I he's more in the McGovern mold and not up to that lock down role. It's one thing for our backs to be intercept marking, but if we don't pluck them, the contest is still alive. Schoey is the kind of defender who knows to just kill the contest. We need that experienced head down back.

I hope we bring him back in, but Barrass won't be making way for him, I'm sure of that.
Thank you, dont know why he was dropped/rested. He would have manned up Lynch real tight.

In : Ahchee, Duggan,
out : Hutchings, Waterman
Dughan takes Nelson's spot and Nelson to tag. Rotham should not be dropped. He needs continuity. Schofield unlucky.
Petch was good in glimpses. Needs to practice tackling.

No chance Ah Chee gets brought in so late in the season. Hasn't cracked in all year.

No chance Ah Chee gets brought in so late in the season. Hasn't cracked in all year.
Its weird. I really thought he'd be a good player in the seniors when we got him.

Hopefully if he gets 1 more chance he absolutely nails it

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rotham had 100% disposal efficiency in the wet. I'd suggest he justified his selection.
Backline errors were made by Shuey, Barrass and Hurn, so how is Rotham copping the blame for destabilising our defence?

Hey hey hey, I wasn't suggesting Rotham caused the turnpvers, I actually said he was good and FAR from our worst.
What I meant was Schoey playing would have slightly changed the set-ups and match-ups in the backline meaning some of "the turnovers", no matter who made them, may not have happened.

Once again, I liked Rotham and have even stated earlier he belongs at the AFL level and is one of those guy's that plays better in the better league.

It will be interesting to see how McEvoy is used this weekend.
-Key positional backman like last week?
-Key forward ?
-Ruckman like he used to play?
He is a very strong marking player, though a bit slow!!

Thank god Roughy decided he didn't want a free trip to Perth.
Last thing we needed was him "Turning Up" and turning it on giving the rest of the team a boost.
He most likely wouldn't have as we are a little better than GC but it is still one less thing to think about.

Also I feel some left field MC decision coming.
Whether it be NicNat or someone like Ah-chee, Ainsworth, Bradshaw etc coming in.

Any news on how JD is going after the nasty cork? Was a pretty solid one that would of had a nasty aftertaste.
He may be a surprise out.

Thank god Roughy decided he didn't want a free trip to Perth.
Last thing we needed was him "Turning Up" and turning it on giving the rest of the team a boost.
He most likely wouldn't have as we are a little better than GC but it is still one less thing to think about.

Also I feel some left field MC decision coming.
Whether it be NicNat or someone like Ah-chee, Ainsworth, Bradshaw etc coming in.

Any news on how JD is going after the nasty cork? Was a pretty solid one that would of had a nasty aftertaste.
He may be a surprise out.

Got a weird feeling it'll be something like Shuey late out. We do have the break next week but this win is so important we can't carry anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back