Autopsy Rd 22 The Teague Train Refuses To Derail - Blues by 10

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Saints?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Team of The Week ..........

Well done Levi & Murph!

A combination of power and dash in the backline with Levi Casboult's move into defence proving crucial for Carlton. He finished with 20 disposals, but more importantly 10 marks (six contested) in a rock solid outing against St Kilda.

6613-TOTW-2019-R22-Website-B-HB%5B4%5D.jpg

Marc Murphy led brilliantly with his clean ball use on the wing in the Blues' win over the Saints.

6613-TOTW-2019-R22-Website-C-Foll%5B5%5D.jpg

Agreed I was expecting more from him forward too.

My concern with the physical development piece is he is naturally lightly framed and I firmly believe bulking him up too much could do more harm than good (will be interesting what Russell does with him physically). Reckon Freo did it to Stephen Hill early on so he could play in the middle and ruined other more natural aspects of his game.

While he can win his own ball being just off the contest for the handball receive and go is where he works best.

Yes I agree. I think players need to naturally get heavier over the years. It would depend if he was able to build up enough and be able to play good footy as a bigger stronger player.

I think there is a little bit more to it than just needing to bulk up a bit, I think he needs to find a bit more desire to put the body on the line a bit.

Perhaps his endurance running needs more work as well. If he's not able to keep the hard running up which is suspect might be the case then he's not going to get free and get into space all that often.

You look at a guy like Gibbons who is similar and he's playing a lot better than Fisher at the moment. It's probably because Gibbons plays a bit harder, is a bit stronger and bigger, is a harder runner and has that experience where he is a good reader of the play and runs hard to the right places at the right time. You would like to think that Fisher can to develop and match or better these areas of Gibbon's game soon.

Enjoyed and agreed with pretty much all of that analysis gBatman - just thought I’d emphasise your insightful comments on Murph, because I think that his massive improvement under Teague is one of the biggest factors behind the transformation of our side in the second half of the season. Of course Murph’s role has changed, but as you suggest it’s also the way in which he’s approached his role that has made the difference - much harder in the contest, and thankfully he’s rediscovered his silky skills along the way.

While I love Murph and appreciate all that he’s done for the club through so many difficult times, tbh I’ve been more critical of Murph than many Bluebaggers over the journey, but if he can continue to play like he’s playing at the moment, then it’ll pretty much be all bouquets and no brickbats from me from here on in ... as long as the bouquets don’t detract from his hardness in the contest, that is.

The physical side of his game certainly has come good. Whether this is from coaching or internally or both. Teague and Stanton taking control of the midfield or Andrew Russell focusing on his weak areas and getting these right, plenty has changed. He's back to being a top midfielder again and he's moving and tackling well which suggests he's fit.

Your argument is fine for a 1 off game, but when the trend is so clear is obvious he does not get afforded the protection from the umps that others get... and our young defender Weitering gets away with nothing..I think its a combination of us being a lowly ranked side and continuously getting the lowly ranked and inexperienced umpires each week appointed to our games, these young umpires would feel intimidated by the high profile players and are harsher on our players than the better sides. Hopefully this changes as we start winning more games.
so let me get this straight - you think umpires are delegated to games dependent on where a team sits on the ladder? is this true?

Yes I agree. I think players need to naturally get heavier over the years. It would depend if he was able to build up enough and be able to play good footy as a bigger stronger player.

I think there is a little bit more to it than just needing to bulk up a bit, I think he needs to find a bit more desire to put the body on the line a bit.

Perhaps his endurance running needs more work as well. If he's not able to keep the hard running up which is suspect might be the case then he's not going to get free and get into space all that often.

You look at a guy like Gibbons who is similar and he's playing a lot better than Fisher at the moment. It's probably because Gibbons plays a bit harder, is a bit stronger and bigger, is a harder runner and has that experience where he is a good reader of the play and runs hard to the right places at the right time. You would like to think that Fisher can to develop and match or better these areas of Gibbon's game soon.

:thumbsu:

A faster better kicking Gibbo would be nice. (no disrepect to Gibbo who has given everything and made it but who I think will be squeezed, probably as soon as next season)

so let me get this straight - you think umpires are delegated to games dependent on where a team sits on the ladder? is this true?

100% true, the best umpires get appointed to the best games each week, and probably rightfully so.

I am trying to find facts, but Matt Stevic is generally regarded as the best in the business and I dont think he has umpired us once this year, whilst we have had Eleni Goutsis 5+

Games involving teams likely to play finals and blockbuster games.. Our opening fixture against the Tigers might be considered a 'good' game.

Games involving teams likely to play finals and blockbuster games.. Our opening fixture against the Tigers might be considered a 'good' game.
And how are umpires rated for these games. Who does that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And how are umpires rated for these games. Who does that?
Just to be clear, are you suggesting that the umpiring department doesnt have a hierarchy based on experience and performance? How do you think they decide who umpires the Grand Final....toss of a coin?

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that the umpiring department doesnt have a hierarchy based on experience and performance? How do you think they decide who umpires the Grand Final....toss of a coin?
Be clear, that's a good thing. How are they judged? Who does it? Rated how? Least mistakes? Endurance? Mental strength? It's fun to ask questions.

Congratulations on the hard-fought win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 25 Bounces

Murphy 23 (4w)
Cripps 23
E.Curnow 22
LOB 22 wing
Walsh 19 (12w, 7i)
Gibbons 11 wing
Dow 3
Deluca 1
Lang 1 wing

Rucks:
Kreuzer 22
Casboult 2
McKay 1

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Kreuzer 4
Cripps 2
E.Curnow 2
Murphy 1
Dow 1

1st Half - 14

Murphy 13 (3w)
Cripps 12
E.Curnow 12
LOB 12 wing
Walsh 10 (5i, 5w)
Gibbons 7 wing
Dow 2
Deluca 1
Lang 1 wing

Kreuzer 13
Casboult 1

Final Term - 7

Cripps 7
LOB 7 wing
Murphy 6
E.Curnow 6
Walsh 6 (4w, 2i)
Gibbons 3 wing

Kreuzer 6
McKay 1

Notes:
- Season high (from the 14 analysed games) for Gibbons, who handily smashed his previous best of 3 wing starts against Essendon in Rd 11
- McKay's last appearance as a ruck in analysed games came in Rd 9. Appearing in 4 matches, Rd 1's 6 bounces was the only time he ever appeared more than once.

Or how they decide who and when umpires can be promoted from State leagues to officiate AFL games.

Surely not Hawthorn? Or the Dogs?
I sat in the cheer squad directly behind the goals 4 rows back my son was waving a flogger like crazy fun times.
The umpiring did seem pretty average maybe amplified by bias but did seem to swing against us when the umpire is a wan..r chant started security came kicked a few out hung around so the next chant was daisy was right came out.
I don’t know if umpires respond negatively to that but there were some head scratching frees not given.
On a lighter note Setterfield nailed some sublime 40 meter passes his kicking has improved a heap.
We are going to miss daisy his composure was fantastic .
My son has number 7 on his back first goal over our head and fantastic handball to sos was a highlight for him also standing on the seat singing the song at the end great game

Exactly compare that to Jacob Weitering who is averaging 6 free's for and 21 against.. He is pulled up for everything, whilst our forwards have to wrk through the scragging with no help from the umps.

and just looked at another club key forward Ben Brown is 42 frees for & 12 against.
Reward for some wonderful dives with minimal splash.

I sat in the cheer squad directly behind the goals 4 rows back my son was waving a flogger like crazy fun times.
The umpiring did seem pretty average maybe amplified by bias but did seem to swing against us when the umpire is a wan..r chant started security came kicked a few out hung around so the next chant was daisy was right came out.
I don’t know if umpires respond negatively to that but there were some head scratching frees not given.
On a lighter note Setterfield nailed some sublime 40 meter passes his kicking has improved a heap.
We are going to miss daisy his composure was fantastic .
My son has number 7 on his back first goal over our head and fantastic handball to sos was a highlight for him also standing on the seat singing the song at the end great game
And an extra like for the dalek. :thumbsu:

Back