Coaching and off-field staff thread

Knowing what I know about Zac O'Brien, he would've had it coming lol.

I saw his dad at a NEAFL game last year and he tried to pick two fights and yelled so much abuse. Tbh I feel sorry Zac had to be raised by someone like him.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
Why is that other than him being an ex-Lion?
Rate him as a player and person and heard great things about his time in Norf.

Yep, good at his craft....

Initially signed as a development coach working with the club’s North Ballarat-affiliated players, he later moved into the AFL coaches box alongside Brad Scott.
Most recently, Drummond looked after the defenders and worked closely with the likes of Scott Thompson, Jamie Macmillan, Marley Williams, Robbie Tarrant and Luke McDonald, and was instrumental in Majak Daw’s transition to defence.
//
“Josh has been an integral part of our football department, a vital resource for the players and a great support to Brad Scott and his fellow coaches,” Joyce said. “He has brought an invaluable amount of knowledge and experience to the club over the past six years.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2018-08-28/drummond-departs-north

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
The article mentioned he's done on a full-time basis, but I can see a guy that old whose gone through that much fully retiring with his list of achievements.

He is not that old, and I can see him more helping on a part time, consultancy basis that retiring cold turkey. Remember that before Sydney, he ran the Bears, and was an integral part of the birth of the Lions, right up to being in the top job for our first flags. Gotta be some residual interest there. I am sure Fagan and Noble would welcome him back as a "mentor" with open arms.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He is not that old, and I can see him more helping on a part time, consultancy basis that retiring cold turkey. Remember that before Sydney, he ran the Bears, and was an integral part of the birth of the Lions, right up to being in the top job for our first flags. Gotta be some residual interest there. I am sure Fagan and Noble would welcome him back as a "mentor" with open arms.
Now you've done it. :p

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm sorry to be morbid, but Freo's current situation is making me think about succession plans. How long do we reckon Fagan might coach for, and can you see Hodge succeeding him, or someone else, perhaps currently on our staff?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'm sorry to be morbid, but Freo's current situation is making me think about succession plans. How long do we reckon Fagan might coach for, and can you see Hodge succeeding him, or someone else, perhaps currently on our staff?
I'm not worrying about what will happen in the 2025 off season yet, I'll be too busy basking in the glory of our 4th flag in 7 seasons.

I might not even exist by then.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Sign him up for 10 years. The relevance he has brought back to our footy club has been nothing short of remarkable.

BigCat2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not remotely worried. Fagan's difference is that on top of being a good game day coach, he is a great people manager and builder of culture and relationship, so people can thrive in the environment. Even if there's something he is not capable of doing, he can rely on others to help. Even if the team isn't going well, he will still maintain that positive influence. The job will be his for a long time.

Unlike some coaches who rely more on game day tactics and results. They are more vulnerable when results don't go their way.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Even if the team isn't going well, he will still maintain that positive influence. The job will be his for a long time.
I don't mean in the sense of a sacking, I mean in the sense that he's 58 and may want to retire one day. But I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. More just wondering whether people can see Hodge succeeding him.

I don't mean in the sense of a sacking, I mean in the sense that he's 58 and may want to retire one day. But I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. More just wondering whether people can see Hodge succeeding him.
Current age of retirement is 65, right? Let's worry about it after winning five premierships in a row and he's got two years left.

Back