saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
There is a difference between deliberately not eating breakfast and eating some healthy nutritious meals later in the day (that are portion controlled) to being lazy, missing breakfast and stuffing your face full of poor food choices later in the day that are calorie dense and nutrient deficient.

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/22/health/skipping-breakfast-cardiovascular-death-study/index.html

"However, the major issue is that the subjects who regularly skipped breakfast also had the most unhealthy lifestyle habits," she said. "Specifically, these people were former smokers, heavy drinkers, physically inactive, and also had poor diet quality and low family income."

All of those factors put people at a much higher risk for cardiovascular disease. "I realize that the study attempted to control for these confounders, but I think it's hard to tease apart breakfast skipping from their unhealthy lifestyle in general," Varady said.

Some people might skip breakfast as part of an intermittent fasting routine, but the breakfast skipping in the study and breakfast skipping during intermittent fasting are two different concepts and practices, said Valter Longo, a professor of biological sciences at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles and director of the USC Longevity Institute, who was not involved in the new research.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
i have always thought michael mosley is to diet and well being what jamie oliver is to cooking. plays to populism a bit too much for me. that is not to say there is not value in their views.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I read this article on Dry Fasting, anybody tried it and what is their opinion of it?

https://siimland.com/is-dry-fasting-better-than-water-fasting/

The reason dry fasting is more effective than regular fasting is that inflammation and bacteria need water to exist. Disease and pathogens that live inside your body will die if they don’t get access to enough hydration. That’s why dry fasting allows the rejuvenating process to take place faster and be more effective.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I read this article on Dry Fasting, anybody tried it and what is their opinion of it?

The reason dry fasting is more effective than regular fasting is that inflammation and bacteria need water to exist. Disease and pathogens that live inside your body will die if they don’t get access to enough hydration. That’s why dry fasting allows the rejuvenating process to take place faster and be more effective.

Won't we all die if we don't get enough hydration?......surely you don't want to kill all bacteria, some of it is good for us.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

Fascinating reading. No showering was interesting. I'm going to do some more reading and if as possitive as the article give it a go.

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
So the writer of this article is Siim Land, an author/high-performance coach with a bachelor degree in anthropology. How reliable or scientific is all this?

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
So the writer of this article is Siim Land, an author/high-performance coach with a bachelor degree in anthropology. How reliable or scientific is all this?
He has access to the same scientific information as any doctor, dietitian, so called health coach, juced up weightlifting nutrition guru's or you and me. So its up to the reader to do further reaserch and take it from there.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood

It's pretty unreliable and based very much in this guy trying to be a know-it-all guru.

"Hi guys, I'm a high performance coach, entrepreneur, anthropologist, author, holistic health practitioner, blah blah."

I'd advise NOBODY in this thread follow that. It's ******* dumb.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Next Monday 1st July. It's the month I love to kick start the second half of the year by doing Dry-July, starting with a full 4 day fast then eliminating a couple of foods and habits that have crept in post new year.
I'm really looking forward to it, and highly recommend it for other fasters or those contemplating their first 4 day fast.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Next Monday 1st July. It's the month I love to kick start the second half of the year by doing Dry-July, starting with a full 4 day fast then eliminating a couple of foods and habits that have crept in post new year.
I'm really looking forward to it, and highly recommend it for other fasters or those contemplating their first 4 day fast.

Good luck with the fast - I never got past 48 hours. What foods and habits you looking at eliminating?

Barrysballs

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very envious, enjoy it 👍.

Barrysballs

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I haven't been doing IF. Started running for footy season been averaging 70+ k a week. I couldn't physically eat enough in a small window and lost to much weight. Back to a 12/12 split but missing that IF feeling and drive, done a 16/ 8 yesterday it really is amazing.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am trying to do this, but with gym in the evening, i end up eating at 9PM. I can't physically not eat until 1pm :(

Either way, putting off eating for a couple of hours will be a good test for me.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Been into IF lately a going for OMAD some days when I feel up to it. I'm a lifter but main goal is fat loss atm. I have a question for the science gurus re "nutrient timing" and hypertrophy:

When I got into this stuff 10 years ago, the consensus was to eat frequently, have a protein shake straight after lifting, etc. I now know this is unnecessary, but I'm a bit confused.

If the body can't store protein (and some other nutrients) and you train, breaking down muscle fibres and stimulating growth etc, but then don't eat for up to 24 hours after... isn't your body lacking the resources for muscle repair and growth? Or is it able to store these resources effectively from your previous meal?

Apologies if this has been covered extensively already, I tried the search feature without luck.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Been into IF lately a going for OMAD some days when I feel up to it. I'm a lifter but main goal is fat loss atm. I have a question for the science gurus re "nutrient timing" and hypertrophy:

When I got into this stuff 10 years ago, the consensus was to eat frequently, have a protein shake straight after lifting, etc. I now know this is unnecessary, but I'm a bit confused.

If the body can't store protein (and some other nutrients) and you train, breaking down muscle fibres and stimulating growth etc, but then don't eat for up to 24 hours after... isn't your body lacking the resources for muscle repair and growth? Or is it able to store these resources effectively from your previous meal?

Apologies if this has been covered extensively already, I tried the search feature without luck.
Your body makes 250-300 grams of protein per day thats why theirs no reason for it to be stored.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Intermittent fasting and weight loss are an excellent combo. I think nearly everyone would agree on that. I personally went from 16:8 to 18 :6 to even the occasional 24 hour fast and have seen great results.

How about intermittent fasting and bulking/maintenance? Seems a little counterintuitive, but then I know Hugh Jackman in the Wolverine diet used IF during the process and got huge.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
Intermittent fasting and weight loss are an excellent combo. I think nearly everyone would agree on that. I personally went from 16:8 to 18 :6 to even the occasional 24 hour fast and have seen great results.

How about intermittent fasting and bulking/maintenance? Seems a little counterintuitive, but then I know Hugh Jackman in the Wolverine diet used IF during the process and got huge.
I don't think it was the intermittent fasting that allowed Hugh to get huge

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
I don't think it was the intermittent fasting that allowed Hugh to get huge
Yeah it was more just an example of someone using IF in a heavy bulking cycle.

I'm not far off finishing my mini cut and at this stage I am thinking of stopping IF unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your body makes 250-300 grams of protein per day thats why theirs no reason for it to be stored.
Thanks for the response. I've never heard that before, what does the body use to create this protein? There must be some resource required?

I agree about IF for weight loss, with the caveat is that it will only be effective for people with the minimum level of discipline and nutritional knowledge.

I have made the mistake of recommending IF to people for weight loss who weren't suitable candidates. They think "great, I basically just need to skip breakfast and I'll lose weight". But after skipping breakfast they are more likely to crave a calorie dense lunch, resulting in a maccas binge.

Horses for courses, I think some people are more suited to having frequent small meals.

Back