Opinion Changes Round 23 Vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Rotham is gonna be a gun in defense one day, but we're at the wrong end of the season to be playing around with the youth.

Fact of the matter is Schofield and Duggan would be seen as better defenders than Nelson and Rotham. They'll be the expected replacements for finals. Similarly, Waterman will lose his spot to Nic if he comes good. The only shuffling I could see us doing with the team at this point of the season is Petch/ Cameron, and even then Petch seems to be preferred by the match committee. I don't think Hutch will make it back into the side after a reoccurrence of his hammy, so Masten is in.

Would love to see Cameron back in the side, especially in wet finals. Apart from that though I think any other change is going to be forced.

In : Ahchee, Duggan,
out : Hutchings, Waterman
Dughan takes Nelson's spot and Nelson to tag. Rotham should not be dropped. He needs continuity. Schofield unlucky.
Petch was good in glimpses. Needs to practice tackling.

Rotham to Hutchings wing would be interesting. Has good skills, good kick and mark player as a release from defense in transition. Could be an Embley type.

Rotham is gonna be a gun in defense one day, but we're at the wrong end of the season to be playing around with the youth.

Fact of the matter is Schofield and Duggan would be seen as better defenders than Nelson and Rotham. They'll be the expected replacements for finals. Similarly, Waterman will lose his spot to Nic if he comes good. The only shuffling I could see us doing with the team at this point of the season is Petch/ Cameron, and even then Petch seems to be preferred by the match committee. I don't think Hutch will make it back into the side after a reoccurrence of his hammy, so Masten is in.

Would love to see Cameron back in the side, especially in wet finals. Apart from that though I think any other change is going to be forced.

Agree with all of that - with the addition of the forced change for Hutchings.

The question for the MC is do they want the potential tagging option from Nelson, or the elite running from Masten.

Why? You could easily make the case for Schofield to come back in at his expense.

Bc we need more runners and he's clearly the pick of the bunch from the 2s. He also needs more games under his belt coming into finals.

I have no issue with Schofield coming back into the side, in fact, I support it. But I don't accept you can only have one or the other - they play two totally different roles.

Schoey in for rotham
Duggan to Nelson's position
Nelson/masten to hutchings position
Cameron for petch/Waterman?
Am good with this - Schoey, Dugs, Nelson/Masten. If Masten who tags, a team-tag?

* From the WCE site - McGovern admitted Richmond handled the second half wet weather better than the Eagles but refused to use the conditions as an excuse for the defeat.
“I wouldn’t say it helped them, they were playing a pretty good brand in the first half as well,” he said.
“We had moments throughout the game which cost us in the end, which we can fix.
“There was a few minor hiccups here and there, other than that I think we played really well. It is not so much about the result, it is about how we played.”
* Team seems fairly upbeat given the loss and consequences.
* Having read "5 Things We Learn't From Tigers Game" - it's so upbeat, it verges on propaganda?
(unless they know something we don't, which is usually the case)
* The Hawks game concerns me - their last statement for the year, they can take it up to us. We have so much relying on it, catastrophic if we lose! But of course the club and team know this!

Last edited:
Bc we need more runners and he's clearly the pick of the bunch from the 2s. He also needs more games under his belt coming into finals.

I have no issue with Schofield coming back into the side, in fact, I support it. But I don't accept you can only have one or the other - they play two totally different roles.
They might play different roles but how many defenders are you picking? Duggan and Schofield will both be available and have more runs on the board than Rotham. Are you picking Rotham over Sheppard or Jetta or Hurn? Throw in Barrass and McGovern and that's 7 defenders without Rotham.

If you're picking Rotham as "a runner", are you picking him to play on a wing over Masten? I'm not sure he commands that either.

The argument that he needs more games coming into finals only holds up if you're already assuming he'll be in the team come finals.

I like Rotham as a player and I think he could well play 150 games for us but he probably isn't part of our best available side right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Waterman, Hutchings

In: Ah Chee, Duggan

Rotham survives this week as Schoey is able to just slot in for a final where as it’s better to play Rotham now.

Nelson to tag from the get go.

Ah Chee to play that link between the arcs and has more flexibility as a marking midfielder than Waterman being a marking forward come semi midfielder.

Wouldn’t at all be surprised if Darling is out, he really looked hampered after half time, in which case I’d still drop Waterman and try and see if Vardy is able to get some touch pre finals. So he’s ready if required.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Worth noting that Rotham only came in because Schoey was "managed" at the eleventh hour.

We are 3-0 from the games with Schoey, Barrass and McGovern in the side this year. But it's a very small sample size and against questionable opposition (North/Carlton/Crows).

Our defence played well against North/Carlton, but imo had a poor performance v the Crows.

But there's no denying that Schoey is our best shut-down defensive option.

So, in summary: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What do people think of our 6 mids structure?, we seem pretty keen to play 8 forwards, some who push up, but still only 6 pure mids.
I reckon Hutch going down in the first quarter showed how hard it is to cover that when things go south.
It's also probably the reason MAllen hasn't got a gig, if he were to play he'd have to push out one of those 6 and that's just not happening, where as we have been flexible enough to get debut games for some other kids.
Sunday we did set up a bit differently, Watermelon played on a wing for a fair chunk of it, even from the first quarter. I don't mind this, he has the tank, but a couple of times he was caught out with his pace, you need pace to put pressure on. I feel like if Ah Chee didn't injure himself in his only game this year, he could easily be playing that roaming marking forward role, but 🍉 has pretty much secured that now.

As for this week...
Are we picking a team on form, match ups or continuity?
The Rotham selection was for weather and match ups so that spot should default back to Schoey, but on form Roth was good enough to hold his spot, but aiming for continuity and trying to lock in the same 22 for finals, you'd say Duggan comes in.
Suspect it is Duggan and Masten in for Roth & Hutch

Dont mind if Cameron plays.

Goals are a bonus but if he can lay 7+ tackles and keep the ball in our fwd half that would be awesome.
Cameron and Cripps as two tackling small forwards who can also kick a goal or two is an immense weapon.
And it's not as if Ryan and Rioli don't do pressure acts either.

I really see those four as the future small forward setup (3 on, one bench/doing a bit of midfield time) with JK (Brander future), JD and OAllen as the other three up forward.

Petrucelle's pace is somewhat wasted as a small forward. Much better to receive on the wing from Hurn/Jetta/Shep/Rotham and use the pace down the wing to half forward. It's when he does this that he breaks the game apart. Look at his goal of the year contender from early this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back