Bontempelli's hit on Haynes

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
If Haynes was struggling to breathe after it and after the game, why wouldn't you take him to the hospital? Get a report that night, ready for MRO

There are so many of these bumps that happen weekly, and the player just has a bit of wind. This was a freak accident

Feel for Haynes, but GWS medicals stuffed this up big time. If somebody is struggling to breathe, don't put them back on the field and take them to hospital straight away

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bump was fair. Injury happened, which is unfortunate.

Trouble is, MRO has set precedent that fair bumps can be a suspendable action if injury occurs. Common sense would be to review the case again.

And then change the way they operate next year, because injuries happen in a ******* contact sport. Stiff s**t.

If they want to avoid multi million dollar lawsuits they have to ensure they punish risky / dangerous behaviour where intent is to hit.

I dont think too many courts would find negligence where accidents are involved. Though you never know.

Jungle_Drums

Debutant
Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’ve never heard of a broken larynx before. Ouch. Won’t be seeing Haynes down karaoke night for a while.

I think Bont got off because he threw up his arms in a ‘whoops! Silly me!’ gesture after effecting the bump.

He was lucky , he meant to hurt him. I’m surprised Bont doesn’t get frustrated more often with the pathetic off the ball digs and scragging he has to contend with.

Finished with a lazy 27, nine contested despite the attention.
Neale gets a very hard tag week in week out, never seen him do that. Its a dog act hitting a player when he isn't balanced.

Jungle_Drums

Debutant
Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Riddle me this... Harris Andrews goes for a week when a player runs at him and he braces to protect himself. Bont goes hard at a player that is off guard and off balance after the kick, yet nothing to see here. The AFL is a joke.

Jungle_Drums

Debutant
Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Haynes was struggling to breathe after it and after the game, why wouldn't you take him to the hospital? Get a report that night, ready for MRO

There are so many of these bumps that happen weekly, and the player just has a bit of wind. This was a freak accident

Feel for Haynes, but GWS medicals stuffed this up big time. If somebody is struggling to breathe, don't put them back on the field and take them to hospital straight away
Why did MRO quote a non existent medical report. Bontemsmelli is a protected species.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Why did MRO quote a non existent medical report. Bontemsmelli is a protected species.
Your jealousy is noted.

GWS didn't provide the medical report in time. GWS had a long time to prepare the medical report.

Stolen from doggies board:
https://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-07-06/cameron-in-trouble (Ended JJ's season - no suspension)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08...-to-play-after-high-hit-on-luke-dahlh/8805020 (Kicked Dahl in the face studs out in what wasn't actually a marking contest - no suspension. Shoutout to Greene's studs on McLean on the prelim too)

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/tom-liberatore-injured-after-big-tackle-29501 (nadda)

I'll wait for your melts about GWS (no pun intended) being protected

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This was just an unfortunate outcome for Haynes and GWS not helped by the medical staff for not acting on it sooner. He still had trouble breathing after the game and they should of taken him to hospital then. The fact that they delayed things til Monday put Haynes at risk themselves. I wouldn't blame the MRO for having to keep to schedule. At the very least GWS should of informed the MRO that they're waiting on a medical update.

This was Bont's first offense as a player.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
As stated by GWS Doctors...the injury is rare and this is the first time they have seen it...Bit difficult if you don't know what to look for and symptoms show up later. Loving the defense by the Bullies faithful, but nobody else.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
End of the day, GWS stuffed this up

If all their trying to do is get The Bont suspended, then I suggest they find something better to do

Different story when Mummy is doing dangerous tackles where he can and gets off

Lions and GWS supporters majorly triggered by this. Perhaps they just don't want Bont playing them (which I can understand) when it comes to finals (if we make it)

Jungle_Drums

Debutant
Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
End of the day, GWS stuffed this up

If all their trying to do is get The Bont suspended, then I suggest they find something better to do

Different story when Mummy is doing dangerous tackles where he can and gets off

Lions and GWS supporters majorly triggered by this. Perhaps they just don't want Bont playing them (which I can understand) when it comes to finals (if we make it)

GWS stuffed it up? had less than 24 hours to diagnose a rare injury that is difficult to recognise? You simply have no idea....As for the lions fearing the Bulldogs - LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jungle_Drums

Debutant
Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This was just an unfortunate outcome for Haynes and GWS not helped by the medical staff for not acting on it sooner. He still had trouble breathing after the game and they should of taken him to hospital then. The fact that they delayed things til Monday put Haynes at risk themselves. I wouldn't blame the MRO for having to keep to schedule. At the very least GWS should of informed the MRO that they're waiting on a medical update.

This was Bont's first offense as a player.
Obviously you went to a superior med school than most: Because of the uncommon nature of this injury and low physician awareness, many laryngeal fractures go undiagnosed.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
GWS stuffed it up? had less than 24 hours to diagnose a rare injury that is difficult to recognise? You simply have no idea....As for the lions fearing the Bulldogs - LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
GWS shouldn't have sent him back on the field. Twice (just after the incident) and in the 2nd half

Think MRO findings should wait until team selection or just before their next match?

Considering this is Bont's first reportable offence/fine, would hate to imagine the damage he could do if it was intended. Scary

Jungle_Drums

Debutant
Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The 'dog ate my homework excuse' being offered by Dog's fans is pretty pathetic. Before they rush to suggest that GWS are at fault, some research on how rare these incidents are and difficultly involved in diagnosis would be worthwhile. Just avoid any of these 'experts' when requiring real medical advice!

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Bump was fair. Injury happened, which is unfortunate.

Trouble is, MRO has set precedent that fair bumps can be a suspendable action if injury occurs. Common sense would be to review the case again.

And then change the way they operate next year, because injuries happen in a ******* contact sport. Stiff s**t.

Yeah s**t happens; you see people go head hunting all the time but get off light because the victim wasn't injured, here Bont didn't even hit Haynes in the head and there was just an unfortunate injury. Injuries happen in contact sports and it doesn't need to be a suspendable incident for someone to end up injured.

Ironically I remember the Giants fans being absolutely chuffed about Mumford not even being reported when he landed on Tom Liberatores head in a tackle. Or them crying about how badly Davis was injured with bruised ribs when Redpath jumper punched him.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
The 'dog ate my homework excuse' being offered by Dog's fans is pretty pathetic. Before they rush to suggest that GWS are at fault, some research on how rare these incidents are and difficultly involved in diagnosis would be worthwhile. Just avoid any of these 'experts' when requiring real medical advice!

Mate, if he had trouble breathing for quite some time, you sent them to the hospital. Not put them back out there on the field

Haynes should be taking them to court for poor treatment. How on earth they let him play out the match, despite having trouble breathing is staggering

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Remember also that Toby Greene kicked Dahlhaus in the face and the AFL did nothing at the time. Giants fans acted like he was hard done by when journalists suggested that maybe shoving your studs into someones face is dangerous.

Jungle_Drums

Debutant
Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
GWS shouldn't have sent him back on the field. Twice (just after the incident) and in the 2nd half

Think MRO findings should wait until team selection or just before their next match?

Considering this is Bont's first reportable offence/fine, would hate to imagine the damage he could do if it was intended. Scary
What did you want them to do, give him a CT scan at half time?

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Obviously you went to a superior med school than most: Because of the uncommon nature of this injury and low physician awareness, many laryngeal fractures go undiagnosed.

It doesn't matter about what he was diagnosed with. If he still had trouble breathing for 2 quarters or so, the least they should of done was take him to get checked out. Not wait till he came into the club the next day to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back