next ten years

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
I'm interested in what everyone thinks is gonna happen in the future.

I think if tucker, hill (both) and langdon leave, its guts our midfield. You need a good midfield to play finals. This coupled with our targeting of older players means we go two ways.
first we trade in more experiance to fill the hole that left. Given our young talent is middle of the road compared to (dogs, blues, port, Brisbane, Sydney) our short term reminds me of 2003 to 2006. Long term our young talent wont be that brilliant backbone fore finals push that pav, mcpharlin, sandi, mundy, johnson and duffield were for 2013. So long term we are stuffed.
Second if we attack the draft; short term we will miss finals but hopefully build up that depth of talent that makes us formidable long term but will fyfe age out before this happens.

I'm hoping we get JLo with Sumich as Development coach and list manager and we focus on getting in the best WA talent through the draft as possible the next few years.

I think the movement of players is just going to get worse and worse with players leaving part way through front ended contracts to maximise their $$ and just targeting WA players who want to go home doesn't work if they have already acclimatised to a lifestyle elsewhere and have partners from other states. It's still worth picking up your Brayshaw's and Luke Ryan's who will give you their loyalty and best, but there's little point losing your Cerra's, Tucker's, Langdon's if it just sends you back to the drawing board and the bottom of the ladder.

I imagine Sumich would not let us look past players like Naughton, English, Ian Hill, Stack, and the like when they could be good solid players for us and a good chance to play out their careers in Perth that we can build the next generation around.

I do like the idea of Sumich helping develop our young blokes. Short term I think we keep Tucker while the Hill's and Langdon leave. If we play Tucker on a wing with a Sharp or Stephens developing on the other we have something to work with.

Getting a good Midfielder is a lot easier than getting a good KPP which we struggled with for years

I'm hoping we get JLo with Sumich as Development coach and list manager and we focus on getting in the best WA talent through the draft as possible the next few years.

I think the movement of players is just going to get worse and worse with players leaving part way through front ended contracts to maximise their $$ and just targeting WA players who want to go home doesn't work if they have already acclimatised to a lifestyle elsewhere and have partners from other states. It's still worth picking up your Brayshaw's and Luke Ryan's who will give you their loyalty and best, but there's little point losing your Cerra's, Tucker's, Langdon's if it just sends you back to the drawing board and the bottom of the ladder.

I imagine Sumich would not let us look past players like Naughton, English, Ian Hill, Stack, and the like when they could be good solid players for us and a good chance to play out their careers in Perth that we can build the next generation around.
One of the reasons the german military was so much more efficient at first contact (so first 6 months) during ww2 was because all recruits units were build out of people from the same place in contrast to usa/english units have a philosophy of next man in.

One of the reasons the german military was so much more efficient at first contact (so first 6 months) during ww2 was because all recruits units were build out of people from the same place in contrast to usa/english units have a philosophy of next man in.

There was also a culture of acquiescence from the allied nations looking to avoid another great war, giving into Hilter's demands rather than pushing back.

There wasn't a culture ready to go to war again a generation on.

If the club wants to retain members don't appoint Sumich.
what about the theory (based on one of Einstein's best quotes) that most of the members just believe what the media tell them, and with Hagdorn, Hardie, Presti, and all the ex-WCE players (Langdon, Barich) on side, the members will be spun that everything is peachy regardless of where we are on the ladder?

Well I think there is good and bad news re the next 10 years. What I don't expect is that we have any realistic show of contending in 2020/21. There will be a transition and learning curve.

This opens up another massive problem, which is that Fyfe and Walters begin to enter the end phases of their careers. This can potentially lead to requests for trades, and players such as Cerra, Darcy or Ryan can easily become targets if we lack success within that period; The cellar dwelling, self-fueling spiral of death.

Any weakness in our list management area has the capacity to be debilitating, and we simply cannot afford that situation, yet that is where we are. We need smart heads handling the BHill, Langdon, Kelly, ruck situation. How focused is Mr Bell going to be able to be for that now?

With all of that happening I struggle to see a successful outcome from any enquiry into our S&C operations.

Assuming a rookie coach such as Longmuir is our incoming, the likelihood that they bring any well credentialed assistants or players is minimal. In addition Hale and Rock are contracted, which may be alright, but is an unknown in terms of creating a cohesive coaching team.

New CEOs always make me nervous. There is usually some powerful egos at play. They want to change things and make a name for themselves. Get the appointment wrong and things can become ugly, especially in a country town like Perth where the local media are agenda driven.

So for me that is the bad news. I am still thinking what the good news might be, but as someone who supported Lyon I don't have a lot, but a refresh is always good, so I will go with that. I also think the players will adapt and enjoy a change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good thing about a new coach is that we (supporters and the club) can be a little more patient and think long term/strategically.

Ross heading into his final year would've been focused on getting as high up the ladder as possible. That may have come at a cost to the development of some of the younger players. It also means that if Hill and Langdon do leave - we can bank the draft picks and aim for 2022+. It's just a bit of a shame that we may waste the final years of Walters and Fyfe however they will play an important role in setting high standards.

We've still got a really good core of talented young players - Pearce, Ryan, Blakely, Brayshaw, Cerra, Logue, Darcy and Cox (Valente and Sturt yet to debut). And good middle aged players in Hogan, Lobb, Hamling, Wilson etc. I think we need to treat the next couple of years as development years and push for 2022 and beyond.

I'm interested in what everyone thinks is gonna happen in the future.

I think if tucker, hill (both) and langdon leave, its guts our midfield. You need a good midfield to play finals. This coupled with our targeting of older players means we go two ways.
first we trade in more experiance to fill the hole that left. Given our young talent is middle of the road compared to (dogs, blues, port, Brisbane, Sydney) our short term reminds me of 2003 to 2006. Long term our young talent wont be that brilliant backbone fore finals push that pav, mcpharlin, sandi, mundy, johnson and duffield were for 2013. So long term we are stuffed.
Second if we attack the draft; short term we will miss finals but hopefully build up that depth of talent that makes us formidable long term but will fyfe age out before this happens.
It’s going to be s**t after the fallout and rebuild, imho

The good thing about a new coach is that we (supporters and the club) can be a little more patient and think long term/strategically.

Ross heading into his final year would've been focused on getting as high up the ladder as possible. That may have come at a cost to the development of some of the younger players. It also means that if Hill and Langdon do leave - we can bank the draft picks and aim for 2022+. It's just a bit of a shame that we may waste the final years of Walters and Fyfe however they will play an important role in setting high standards.

We've still got a really good core of talented young players - Pearce, Ryan, Blakely, Brayshaw, Cerra, Logue, Darcy and Cox (Valente and Sturt yet to debut). And good middle aged players in Hogan, Lobb, Hamling, Wilson etc. I think we need to treat the next couple of years as development years and push for 2022 and beyond.
I predict we will lose Cerra Brayshaw and some others within the next couple of seasons

No way i'm siging up if Suma or Worsffold have any roles within freo next year - i'll be done
I’ve been a member for 25 years and feeling pretty ‘done’. Those pushing for Lyon to be axed in our local media were mostly from WCE and the club got sucked in to the detriment of our members and players.

I’ve been a member for 25 years and feeling pretty ‘done’. Those pushing for Lyon to be axed in our local media were mostly from WCE and the club got sucked in to the detriment of our members and players.
Towards the end, you could see Ross wanted to go again, do his own thing in 2020. He had all the answers against Geelong. That what great coaches do. Feel hard done by. There's really no point, if the club doesn't drop the medical staff/behind closed doors stuff. A complete clean out and then we can assess. But we keep Weber in the meantime, just like he stayed around even after Harvey got sacked, there's really not much to go forward on. I really hope the new CEO/Coach come in and bring their own team, refresh. Honestly cannot stand to see Weber and co. still appointed in their roles.
If we haven't made finals for 4 years, like Alcock said, then will the new coach have to make finals in 2020, or are they are in a phase in period?
What's the point? Another year or two without finals so the coach can adapt. Then by that logic Alcock thinks 5-6 years without finals is okay, as opposed to Ross keep the group together and go all out in 2020. We were 2/3 games from finals this season.
The next coach has to come in and win 8-9 to be successful. There's not a lot of time tbh. Cerra/Brayshaw in their 3rd year, Fyfe is closer to 30 then he is to 20. Same with Walters. Lose Langdon and Hill, suddenly we have to replace them with draft picks.

Who knows what 1 year can bring. After 2011, honestly predicting the AFL future is impossible. As a Freo supporter, anything can happen. Especially in 8 years (2011-2019) we fired Harvey when he had the list to push for 2012, then brought in Ross to go even better. Does that and now 2019 we sacked Ross when he had the list to push for 2020. That's not even 10 years. It's futile.

Nah all this pain means when we finally do win one its going to be all the more sweeter. Take a break for sure (can be quite refreshing) but don't jump ship.

Are we any show of a flag during Fyfe’s career?
Hate to say it but we are close to the point where trading him for assets is the smart move. Let him win a flag somewhere.

Preseason optimism can’t come soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This a crazy thread. I cant predict whats going to happen to freo tomorrow let alone 10 years.

This might sound stupid..... I actually hope freo lose this weekend vs Port there are a couple of reasons why....

1. I dont endorse tanking. If we lose, worse case scenario saints jump above us if they beat the swans and we finish 14th for the 3rd year in a row. Best case scenario, Freo beat port, North lose to demons and freo jump above north to get 12th and pick 7.

2. 9 wins for us is a strange omen. I dont know why. Theres 2 other seasons and theres a common theme here. In 2011, we got 9 wins. We were doing ok until round 16 and lost the last 7 games of the season with injuries piling up. Next season, we got ross lyon as head coach and made finals.

In 2002, we also got 9 wins. a massive improvement from 2001 with 2 wins. In 2003, we easily made finals.

Its 2019, we are on 9 wins..... You see this squad. getting the right coach, medical staff and recruiters and development coaches can do wonders with the current playing list we got.

Our team this season has shown it can play finals football.

Well I think there is good and bad news re the next 10 years. What I don't expect is that we have any realistic show of contending in 2020/21. There will be a transition and learning curve.

This opens up another massive problem, which is that Fyfe and Walters begin to enter the end phases of their careers. This can potentially lead to requests for trades, and players such as Cerra, Darcy or Ryan can easily become targets if we lack success within that period; The cellar dwelling, self-fueling spiral of death.

Any weakness in our list management area has the capacity to be debilitating, and we simply cannot afford that situation, yet that is where we are. We need smart heads handling the BHill, Langdon, Kelly, ruck situation. How focused is Mr Bell going to be able to be for that now?

With all of that happening I struggle to see a successful outcome from any enquiry into our S&C operations.

Assuming a rookie coach such as Longmuir is our incoming, the likelihood that they bring any well credentialed assistants or players is minimal. In addition Hale and Rock are contracted, which may be alright, but is an unknown in terms of creating a cohesive coaching team.

New CEOs always make me nervous. There is usually some powerful egos at play. They want to change things and make a name for themselves. Get the appointment wrong and things can become ugly, especially in a country town like Perth where the local media are agenda driven.

So for me that is the bad news. I am still thinking what the good news might be, but as someone who supported Lyon I don't have a lot, but a refresh is always good, so I will go with that. I also think the players will adapt and enjoy a change.
Next year we have to make finals. Not just to give Fyfe, Walters and Stephen hill one more eventual push for the flag, but to keep our young victorian talent.

If Sean Darcy asks for a trade to geelong next year, this will hurt us massively as we dont have any ruckman as nearly as good as him barring rory lobb. Losing Neale wasnt bad as we traded him out to get hogan.

I will say this. I will be realistic. I hope this current crop of players gives us a good 3-5 period of finals from 2020-24. Realistically I think we will make finals in 2020 and 2021, have a mini 2 year rebuild in 2022 and 2023 when Fyfe, Walters and Stephen Hill are phased out. then have a good 4-5 year run from 2024-28 with those 2016 and 2017 draftees in Logue, Darcy, cox, cerra, brayshaw, duman etc all in their primes.

Are we any show of a flag during Fyfe’s career?
Hate to say it but we are close to the point where trading him for assets is the smart move. Let him win a flag somewhere.

Preseason optimism can’t come soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fyfe turns 28 next Month. Walters turned 28 at the start of the year. both have 3-4 good years of footy left. 2 at the worst.

I can see fyfe good enough to play until he is 34 years old just like Pav and Mundy. the guy can be atheltic enough to play CHF or on a forward flank in his final years if he wants to be rotated.

Stephen Hill is 29. I see him playing 2 more seasons believe or not. I dont care if hill plays every 2nd game next year and he plays a final. We need him when he is fully fit.

We never thought of trading Pav. We never thought of trading Fyfe and why would you?

Why trade your best player on a draft pick and hope for the best? Gambles like this dont usually work out well for freo.

If anything, we should be luring players to help players like fyfe.

I think the odds of us playing finals in 2020 would be very low. To be thinking "we have to make finals" is a pretty out there kind of projection. We have entered another rebuild period, minus the leadership.

Until recently the club's priority should have been about the S&C department. Now it makes the top 4, but it is still early days. Off season hasn't started yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back