Buddy Franklin - 300 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the best ever regardless...

He is currently 7th all time for goals kicked with the players ahead of time all coming from eras were individual goalkicking tallies were MUCH higher across the board. Franklin will likely kick 1000 goals! when the absolute best of his contempories (Kennedy, Fevola, etc) will all end up a shade over 600. 300-400 more goals than the next best is a MASSIVE gap.

On top of that, he gets a lot of all the ball for a key forward, lays plenty of tackles for a key forward, is a great distributor and can do things only a couple of players ever can do.

He is an 8 x All Australian (equal #1 all time, most of any key forward) and 4 time Coleman Medallist (despite missing chunks of games most seasons and playing at CHF for plenty).

Is without doubt in the top 20 players of all time (and has a good case for top 10 IMO).

Not disparaging Buddy but his nearest contemporary would be Jack Riewoldt. Already over 600 goals, if he can stay fit I reckon he could play a few more years after Buddy retires (he is two years younger) and maybe end up between 750 and 800 goals and possibly a fourth Coleman Medal too. A lot depends on how his role changes/evolves with Lynch in the side.

Generational player and deserving of all the recognition he will get this week. From a lover of the game's sake I hope there is another player like him but because he has been a special and gifted individual.

The way the game is played now will be the last player to kick 100 in a season

Ideally would've been a stand alone celebration of Buddy and not linked to a potential farewell for McVeigh and Jack but that's the cards that have been dealt.

Next step is 1,000 goals, would he be the only left footer to kick 1,000?

Surely I am not alone here but why is he playing game 300 in Round 23 in a dead rubber against St Kilda?

If they just waited until 2020 the AFL would fixture Sydney vs Hawthorn on a Friday night in Rd 1 or something like that, or even the reverse at the MCG. Given this week means nothing it seems like a bit of an anticlimax for such a great player.

Surely I am not alone here but why is he playing game 300 in Round 23 in a dead rubber against St Kilda?

If they just waited until 2020 the AFL would fixture Sydney vs Hawthorn on a Friday night in Rd 1 or something like that, or even the reverse at the MCG. Given this week means nothing it seems like a bit of an anticlimax for such a great player.

Buddy has always hated St Kilda for obvious reasons.

Does not plan on coming back next year?

Disagree completely. I had front row seats when he killed us kicking 8 goals in a final at the MCG. Buddy's a superstar and will be remembered as one of the greats.
That game was electric

Not disparaging Buddy but his nearest contemporary would be Jack Riewoldt. Already over 600 goals, if he can stay fit I reckon he could play a few more years after Buddy retires (he is two years younger) and maybe end up between 750 and 800 goals and possibly a fourth Coleman Medal too. A lot depends on how his role changes/evolves with Lynch in the side.
I'm a big fan of Jack, great player and has really matured as a leader, he's going to end up on apretty good tally no doubt

Possibly due to retirement due to ongoing injuries and his body not being right, or due to off field indiscretions if you're into conspiracies.

Or more likely Buddy is such a competitor, and he has been in rehab for a few months now trying to get back on the field that he does not want to wait another 6 months before he can play another game.

Yes, JR is a fine player who really is a team oriented gun forward. I'm not sure 800 goals is all that likely though. He will be 31 in 2 months time and is 'only' on 615. He would need to be a genuine Coleman contender into his mid 30's to get that high which is ridiculously rare.

Regardless of whether Buddy is 200 or 300 goals better than the next best though is immaterial. Jack Riewoldt has been a gun for a long time and definitely in contention for 2nd best of his era. For Buddy to be that much clear of 2nd really emphasises how dominant he has been.

I'm a big fan of Jack, great player and has really matured as a leader, he's going to end up on apretty good tally no doubt

Riewoldt, Kennedy and Betts are in the 600 club. Eddie is a small forward and has played a lot more games than the others but still a great effort. Roughead fell just short but played a bit in defence early on and missed a year with cancer. He belongs in the same boat. Tom Hawkins is next back on 550. Jeremy Cameron is the best for goals per game with 2.6. Fevola and Lloyd (played 5 seasons in the 90s) the only overlapping players to match the same sort of output per game.

Franklin is on 940, 321 ahead of the next best current player despite barely playing this year and 200+ ahead of Nick Riewoldt and Matthew Pavlich. Goals are just one metric, but an important one.

The cricket argument for batting is usually 'how much better are you than everyone else'. 3.1 goals per game / 2.6 is 1.19, so on raw numbers Franklin is 19% better than the next best current forward over their career. Steve Smith averages 63.24, so take 19% off that and you get 53 which is pretty bloody good. That's Kohli, Lara, Tendulkar territory. There's only 4 players to play a test in 2019 that have a career average over 50 including Smith.

For a simple way of looking at things by one stat I think it reflects Franklin's standing as a key forward very well. He is the Smith to everyone else's Kohli, Williamson, Root etc.

Yes, JR is a fine player who really is a team oriented gun forward. I'm not sure 800 goals is all that likely though. He will be 31 in 2 months time and is 'only' on 615. He would need to be a genuine Coleman contender into his mid 30's to get that high which is ridiculously rare.

Regardless of whether Buddy is 200 or 300 goals better than the next best though is immaterial. Jack Riewoldt has been a gun for a long time and definitely in contention for 2nd best of his era. For Buddy to be that much clear of 2nd really emphasises how dominant he has been.

It would be a genuinely interesting discussion about who was the second best key forward of the 21st century but in terms of best key forward, well it isn't even a debate as we all know the answer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1: The SCG is unavailable due to cricket early next year.
2: He’s fit, available to play and a professional footballer. He plays.

marketing

Buddy is the only player that I have continued to love while he has torn my team a new one!
Absolute legend of the game
Best player of this century.
To watch him live in his moment is to witness a force of nature

Somebody still salty they took good old tambo it seems. Never forget
Laughable view.
In Franklin's first ever final, he kicked 7 goals to overturn a 5 goal deficit, including the matchwinner with seconds left, from 50 out on the boundary.
By his 3rd final, he had already kicked 18 goals, including 8 when double teamed by Brian Lake and Dale Morris.
One of his most famous goals came to put his side up in the final minutes of a prelim final against unbackable favourites (Collingwood in '11)
In the 2012 GF, Hawthorn were being put to the sword in the second quarter by Sydney. Franklin stepped up big time to drag his side back in to the contest and in front in a dominant 3rd quarter.
n the 2014 GF, Franklin was just about the only player to fly the flag for Sydney, kicking 4 goals 2 despite being double teamed.
He averages more goals against top 8 sides over his career and until recently, had a higher goal average in finals than the regular season.
He is also top 5 all time for goals in finals.
As I said, missing when the heat is on is a laughable view.

"Can't mark overhead"

This criticism is massively overstated. He can and does mark overhead (and often). In fact, he has the 6th most contested marks on record and averages more than Riewoldt, Kennedy and most of his rivals (obviously not all are overhead). With that said, it is the one part of his game that is not as good as the all time champions. However, this is more than offset by the fact that he is arguably the best key forward ever in "non-mark" situations (off the ground, etc.)

"Wouldn't even make the top 200 of all time"

Not even going to bother with this bit. 8 x AA, 4 x Coleman and 900+ goals reveal your opinion to be either a complete idiot or terrible troll.
Oh Christ.

Carey, Matthews and Ablett Snr are the very best I’ve seen. If Buddy was as strong in the air as Ablett or Carey, then he’d likely belong in that group. That’s actually a compliment to how good he is. I don’t see anyone coming through who looks like they’ll be nearly as good either, so we should all enjoy it while it lasts.
If buddy was as strong as Carey in the air, he'd be comfortably better then him.

There's a lot Carey couldn't do that Buddy can

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back