Bontempelli's hit on Haynes

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s not like diagnosing a broken leg which you can see. I’m sure they done some tests to see if he could breathe.

Super rare injury. I mean Liam Jones suffered the same injury last week but how were the docs supposed to pick this one up?

Patient can’t breathe and has neck pain after physical impact directly to throat.

Isn’t it immediately obvious where the problem might lie?

Sedat!

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Swings and roundabouts. Redpath copped 3 weeks for gently brushing some fluff off Phil Davis' chin, who went down as if shot. And let's not mention Kung Fu Greene and his in play deliberate kick to Dahl's bloodied head a couple of years ago that didn't even warrant a suspension.

Any anger should be directed at the GWS medical staff, who sent Haynes on for the entire 2nd half with an apparent fractured larynx. No wonder they have a seemingly endless injury list every year. Haynes should be absolutely filthy as such negligence from his own club.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jungle_Drums

Debutant
Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Super rare injury. I mean Liam Jones suffered the same injury last week but how were the docs supposed to pick this one up?

Patient can’t breathe and has neck pain after physical impact directly to throat.

Isn’t it immediately obvious where the problem might lie?
Not sure where you get he couldn’t breathe. GWS told AFL medical report would be ready a Monday night. Smells like cover up to me.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Bump was fair. Injury happened, which is unfortunate.

in what way was the bump "fair"?

I mean, I'm no medical expert but last time I looked (and every time before that) I've always been able to see that the throat is above the shoulders.

Bont approached haynes front on with his arms spread wide and then hit him with his shoulder after he kicked it. which suggests he altered his action in the process of hitting him late and high.

fair bump? don't think so.

also - we only got 5 free kicks all f##ing day and that was one of them - so even the blind and clueless umpires didn't think it was a "fair bump"

A82507F0-FE10-4AE1-93C9-A8867476ACED_zpshkgcwxku.png

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
GWS, Bont and Christian are all in the wrong here. Interesting sequence of events, but nothing that can be done now. We move on

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
So the AFL have admitted had they known the extent of the injury, Bontempelli would have been suspended. This clearly illustrates that "impact" is simply guess work by Christian and co. I've said it numerous times on this board - get rid of the idea of impact. One week automatically for a deliberate hit, a bump gone wrong, etc. Then you can add weeks based on the injury report, priors etc.

I thought the point was to get rid of unnecessary acts that can cause injury.

GWS stuffed it up? had less than 24 hours to diagnose a rare injury that is difficult to recognise? You simply have no idea....As for the lions fearing the Bulldogs - LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
So what if the injury wasn't diagnosed until Tuesday... or Wednesday... How long do you want LOLOLOLOLOL?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So the AFL have admitted had they known the extent of the injury, Bontempelli would have been suspended. This clearly illustrates that "impact" is simply guess work by Christian and co. I've said it numerous times on this board - get rid of the idea of impact. One week automatically for a deliberate hit, a bump gone wrong, etc. Then you can add weeks based on the injury report, priors etc.

If players were suspended for all late hits, Bont would have been one of at least 10 on the weekend. Clubs would struggle to field a full side

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Yes - Substitute the Bont with another player not in Brownlow contention they get a week. Or someone like a Mitch Robinson type player they get a minimum of 2 weeks.The sooner they change the Brownlow eligibility the better. Just pick a number anything from 1 to 4 weeks i could live with.

The question is, why should the league care who wins the Brownlow? The only "embarassment" in an ineligible player topping the count is for the player, surely. They've "allowed" "unfashionable" winners (Matt Priddis, Tom Mitchell) and "bad boys" (Dane Swan, Dustin Martin) to win in recent times as well, so I doubt they're trying too hard to curate the result from an image or marketing perspective.

The question is, why should the league care who wins the Brownlow? The only "embarassment" in an ineligible player topping the count is for the player, surely. They've "allowed" "unfashionable" winners (Matt Priddis, Tom Mitchell) and "bad boys" (Dane Swan, Dustin Martin) to win in recent times as well, so I doubt they're trying too hard to curate the result from an image or marketing perspective.

Fyfe was still suspended one year he got close.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Fyfe was still suspended one year he got close.

Yeah, and if he ended up winning the count, it'd just be fool to him, and "too bad, so sad" from everyone else. No shame or folly on the league's part if he breaks the rules as they're written and gets suspended along the way.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
If players were suspended for all late hits, Bont would have been one of at least 10 on the weekend. Clubs would struggle to field a full side

Late hits are fine. They should be a free kick downfield. But make sure you don't collect the head or throat - easy. Bontempelli didn't need to bump, he chose to and got a player high. If it means players learn to bump properly, then good. The tribunal still found him guilty. He and Cam Raynor were the only two cases this week involving contact to other players, so saying at least 10 players on the weekend would have been suspended is stretching it.

BTW this is not about this incident per se. Ablett should have gone for his hits earlier in the year, ditto Fyfe and I'm sure there's probably a Hawthorn one in there somewhere.

smeltitdeltit

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just did a quick google search as I'm no doctor.

"A laryngeal fracture can occur following direct trauma to the neck region and may lead to life-threatening airway obstruction. For this reason, a patient suspected of having a fractured larynx should be treated in an emergent manner."

Yet GWS let him back on in the second half? Lol, it's on them.
So it should have been severe and several weeks then.
Good point, well argued.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

This is the AFL. As a Brownlow favourite they would have found another reason to get him off

Just watched the second half of the game. Haynes ran, chased, flew for marks, contested, with no apparent impediment. He and Bont shook hands at the end and chatted briefly. Wonder if a sore throat was mentioned? Expect Haynes to play next week.

So you are more likely to get off when playing a Sunday afternoon game than a Friday or Saturday game.......more AFL genius at play here.
Yes.
But if you play on a Friday night, you might get a week less suspension from your betting escapades. Swings and roundabouts.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Just watched the second half of the game. Haynes ran, chased, flew for marks, contested, with no apparent impediment. He and Bont shook hands at the end and chatted briefly. Wonder if a sore throat was mentioned? Expect Haynes to play next week.
Which probably made it harder to diagnose.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MRO has the following information:

1. Clumsy hit that was a little high
2. Player was down for a bit but was cleared by the doctor and played out the gsme
3. No medical report to provide any further info

What penalty, if any, do you hand out ?

The issue is not necessarily the MRO decision - it's the fact, that when the MRO demonstrably get something wrong (as in the assessment of the impact) the initial penalty still stands. Why can't the tribunal reassess the case based on the latest medical evidence at hand? The diagnosis was made public on Tuesday which gives the AFL plenty of time to hand out an appropriate penalty.

Senor Ed

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Doggies

He suffered from delayed concussion of the larynx.

Back