"Sack Goodwin!"

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just listened to the sacked podcast episode with Mark Williams. Comes across pretty well I think. Was close to getting the job when we gave it to Paul Roos. Seems to have a relationship with Simon Goodwin as well. May not be the answer but some sort of senior person to oversee the coaching department seems like a great idea given our current situation. If we need to sack Goody in round 8 next year we have a caretaker as well

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just listened to the sacked podcast episode with Mark Williams. Comes across pretty well I think. Was close to getting the job when we gave it to Paul Roos. Seems to have a relationship with Simon Goodwin as well. May not be the answer but some sort of senior person to oversee the coaching department seems like a great idea given our current situation. If we need to sack Goody in round 8 next year we have a caretaker as well
Whats the point of having Goodwin if after 5 years under Roos now by himself he still needs someone to hold his hand. Only positive like you said is if we sack him they are there but we just wasted 5 years on a clown who cant coach. Hes already had his time on training wheels if he aint up to it just sack the campaigner. How bad would it actually look for Goodwin 'look mate ya not upto it we have to bring in someone above you again' ******* horrible look for him and us after re signing him for 3 more years

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Whats the point of having Goodwin if after 5 years under Roos now by himself he still needs someone to hold his hand. Only positive like you said is if we sack him they are there but we just wasted 5 years on a clown who cant coach. Hes already had his time on training wheels if he aint up to it just sack the campaigner. How bad would it actually look for Goodwin 'look mate ya not upto it we have to bring in someone above you again' ******* horrible look for him and us after re signing him for 3 more years
100%, leaving aside the fact I think Lyon would be a terrible fit, if Goodwin needs to be babysat again after 5 years at the club admit the mistake and * him off

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne

This club needs to be burnt to the ******* ground.

Let history show, the 2018 Melbourne demons were a great team, making it all the way to 5th on the ladder at the end of the home and away season, before losing a highly unlucky prelim final by 12 goals.

People will talk about that swashbuckling team for years to come. Perhaps remembered as fondly as other great teams who finished 4th- the North Melbourne kangaroos in 2014, or even Richmond in 2001.

thedank

All Australian
Mar 2, 2019
Meth City
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Perth

This club needs to be burnt to the ******* ground.

fmd, i've spent the better part of this year defending these spuds with the assumption that nobody could be content or happy with season 2018, especially after the humiliating pantsing we got here in the west.

but i was wrong

just FMD

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Right now I’d be quite happy to sack him but it’s not gonna happen. Thanks Gary

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Great article. Man makes comment about woman's attire. Five figure settlement, eh? Righto, I'm sold, hang him.
Didnt say anything about hanging him id sack Goodwin and bring Lyon straight in hed soon find out whos serious or not. We all know you cant go around saying your **** look great in that dress even if we think it especially if shes in her 20s and youre 50. Plus the AFL or clubs never cover anything up its why they put a non disclosure agreement on it and paid her out.
You can say its * all but ive got a daughter and some thirsty old campaigner commenting on her **** and ass at work would not be ok or laughed off.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Didnt say anything about hanging him id sack Goodwin and bring Lyon straight in hed soon find out whos serious or not. We all know you cant go around saying your **** look great in that dress even if we think it especially if shes in her 20s and youre 50. Plus the AFL or clubs never cover anything up its why they put a non disclosure agreement on it and paid her out.
You can say its fu** all but ive got a daughter and some thirsty old campaigner commenting on her **** and ass at work would not be ok or laughed off.

You think someone is going to get paid a five figure settlement because someone made a comment about a dress? Sounds like someone has been leaking s**t to me.

Also, bringing up a daughter, son, monkey, uncle, etc is irrelevant. Its an emotional appeal that doesn't add any weight to an argument and indicates someone can't look at a situation objectively.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
All these people who want Goodwin sacked because Melbourne had a bad season after a good one seem to convieniently forget this.

Goodwin has taken Melbourne from finals to the bottom ONCE.

Not to shoot Bambi, but Neale Daniher did a similar thing FOUR TIMES!

Here are some finishing positions of Melbourne under Neale Daniher.

1998 4th
1999 14th (of 16 teams)
2000 2nd (Grand Final appearance)
2001 14th (of 16 teams)
2002 6th
2003 14th (of 16 teams)

2006 5th
2007 14th (of 16 teams)

So, Daniher failed four times, whereas Goodwin has failed once. But I don't remember the vitriol for Daniher when he took the team to the heights one year, only to drop to the bottom of the ladder the next.

Or maybe this proves, in both cases, that maybe it isn't coaching, but the mental fragility of players, that they can perform so erratically, year after year, with little consistency.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
He'll get his chance, but surely you have to be concerned with the lack of change or acknowledgement of where the obvious issues are? At least he's finally acknowledged that the skills are not up to scratch.

A good system/gameplan is one that supports the players. When they're out of form, missing key players, or whatever else befalls a team, they can trust in the system to make them competitive, beat the teams they should be beating, etc. You fall back on the system, remember your training. The Goody gameplan is the other way around: it requires a full list and everyone playing well just to make it work.

What have we seen him trying that is different? He at least threw things around for the Richmond game. It didn't work, but I was relieved that he was apparently willing to do something different. But since then it's all been the same thing week after week. What's he doing to arrest the fall? How is he getting some confidence and momentum back into the players before the end of the season? What is the point of just continuing along the same path while Carlton, North, Saints all build some positivity and direction for next year?

"It requires a full list and everyone playing well just to make it work".

Doesn't every team require a full list? Doesn't every team play better with a full list?

I defy you to take the five best players out of any side, and see if that team still plays well. Richmond lost three in a row earlier in the year when Rance, Cotchin and Riewoldt were out.

A coach coaches best with a full list, and that is the responsibility of the fitness staff to make sure that the players are uninjured, fit, and ready to go, so that the coach can coach at his best.

A builder works best with decent tools.

Teams like Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney and Richmond can still win, even without their full list, because they have enough talent spread across the list to still eek out wins.

So you are assuming that Melbourne has a list comparable to any of those sides. Ha!

Maybe you need to blame the recruiters for drafting in players who lack skill and are mentally fragile. Start putting the blame on others at the club for their incompetence.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
All these people who want Goodwin sacked because Melbourne had a bad season after a good one seem to convieniently forget this.

Goodwin has taken Melbourne from finals to the bottom ONCE.

Not to shoot Bambi, but Neale Daniher did a similar thing FOUR TIMES!

Here are some finishing positions of Melbourne under Neale Daniher.

1998 4th
1999 14th (of 16 teams)
2000 2nd (Grand Final appearance)
2001 14th (of 16 teams)
2002 6th
2003 14th (of 16 teams)

2006 5th
2007 14th (of 16 teams)

So, Daniher failed four times, whereas Goodwin has failed once. But I don't remember the vitriol for Daniher when he took the team to the heights one year, only to drop to the bottom of the ladder the next.

Or maybe this proves, in both cases, that maybe it isn't coaching, but the mental fragility of players, that they can perform so erratically, year after year, with little consistency.
Are you trying to insinuate that members and supporters were happy with the fact that Daniher’s teams yo-yoed year on year? Because I know for a fact that isn’t the ******* case.

If you’d like to compare them though: Daniher took over a wooden spoon side and got us to a Prelim in his first year and a Grand Final in his 3rd. Goodwin was gifted a young team on the rise, missed finals in his first year and has taken us to rock bottom in his third.

Still I’m not even sure how the frustration of the Daniher years is even relevant to now.

This isn’t an overreaction to one bad year, this is fans apoplectic that there has been no attempt to correct flaws in the game plan til way too late.

Nobody has said the players are blameless either. However, they did win two finals including beating your mob convincingly.
"It requires a full list and everyone playing well just to make it work".

Doesn't every team require a full list? Doesn't every team play better with a full list?

I defy you to take the five best players out of any side, and see if that team still plays well. Richmond lost three in a row earlier in the year when Rance, Cotchin and Riewoldt were out.

A coach coaches best with a full list, and that is the responsibility of the fitness staff to make sure that the players are uninjured, fit, and ready to go, so that the coach can coach at his best.

A builder works best with decent tools.

Teams like Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney and Richmond can still win, even without their full list, because they have enough talent spread across the list to still eek out wins.

So you are assuming that Melbourne has a list comparable to any of those sides. Ha!

Maybe you need to blame the recruiters for drafting in players who lack skill and are mentally fragile. Start putting the blame on others at the club for their incompetence.
You do realise that the poster above was making the point that Goodwin’s game plan requires everything to go right and that’s a very bad thing?

There’s not a poster on this board that hasn’t been scathing on the fitness staff.

Maybe try posting again with a modicum of respect. Do some research that extends beyond insights that inform us that the AFL was a 16 team competition at one stage. Also try to refrain from the notion that because your team wins a lot that it makes you some kind of oracle. Furthermore, just because our team sucks it doesn’t mean that we’re ignorant on all matters football and need to be told what’s wrong with our club by a clueless Scats fan. Better yet, save us some time and post in the Looney Bin thread.

Last edited:

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Are you trying to insinuate that members and supporters were happy with the fact that Daniher’s teams yo-yoed year on year? Because I know for a fact that isn’t the ******* case.

If you’d like to compare them though: Daniher took over a wooden spoon side and got us to a Prelim in his first year and a Grand Final in his 3rd. Goodwin was gifted a young team on the rise, missed finals in his first year and has taken us to rock bottom in his third.

Still I’m not even sure how the frustration of the Daniher years is even relevant to now.

This isn’t an overreaction to one bad year, this is fans apoplectic that there has been no attempt to correct flaws in the game plan til way too late.

Nobody has said the players are blameless either. However, they did win two finals including beating your mob convincingly.

You do realise that the poster above was making the point that Goodwin’s game plan requires everything to go right and that’s a very bad thing?

There’s not a poster on this board that hasn’t been scathing on the fitness staff.

Maybe try posting again with a modicum of respect. Do some research that extends beyond insights that inform us that the AFL was a 16 team competition at one stage. Also try to refrain from the notion that because your team wins a lot that it makes you some kind of oracle. Furthermore, just because our team sucks it doesn’t mean that we’re ignorant on all matters football and need to be told what’s wrong with our club by a clueless Scats fan. Better yet, save us some time and post in the Looney Bin thread.
Karate by name, karate by nature

alphatool

Senior List
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Personal issues? Like the accusation of sexual assault which was investigated by both Freo + the AFL at the heart of the #metoo crisis and found he had no case to answer?

Look, I'm not huge on everything he does or says, certainly don't like his playing style, but that's just misinformed bulls**t.
Nah, not that, just an abrasive way of dealing with people who don't agree with him. I think he's right most of the time but I don't think that the club is strong enough to handle the potential distraction.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
"My team wins a lot of games, therefore I have an opinion on your team that you should listen to"
“The problem with Melbourne is that they drink their own bathwater and were also inconsistent in the 90s and early 2000s and maybe also that fans don’t care and accept mediocrity. They should try and be a bit more like a successful club like the one I support. Simples.”

Back