Analysis List management errors

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
We nailed it with a few left field selections - Dangerfield and Doedee, for example - and got sucked into believing that was the best approach.

We like left field selections now, when we should just be picking the best and most suitable player available.

Did we really nail it with Dangerfield. The risk of the go home factor was massive before we drafted him. We would have known this yet we still drafted him.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Not grabbing Sydney Stack as a rookie because we only like nice boys.
Allowing our list to go from the most dominant forward line in 2017 to one of the worst two years later.
I know there’s a lot of love for Ogilvie around here and I do share a lot of it too.. I think he’s landed some great players with the resources he’s been given.. some real gems in the rough..

But I was pretty disappointed when I listened to that podcast with him in it the other day talking about some of our recent draftees.. chayce Jones was one..

He went to great lengths to point out that the lad had great parents/great upbringing/fine young men blah, blah, blah... it came across to me as if he was pointing out that the club values a lads family upbringing/type of background they come from as much as their footy skills..

Really... these are teenagers we’re talking about here.. some are gonna be from broken homes, bad upbringings and have some rough edges.. a good coach and football department should back themselves in to help these lads mature and become men not shun them..

Had me thinking about the list... realised we haven’t really got that tatt covered junkyard dog type player with a dubious background anywhere on our list?.. not even close..

Sydney Stack was ONLY picked up because of the change in rules. Even the Richmond recruiter said that on the same podcast platform . He was virtually the last picked person. Thats how toxic he was

The same podcast platform has EVERY recruiter talk about character.

ie its not an 'Adelaide thing' - every club puts character first

But I will agree once a player gets here they are turned whitebread

Bazz_27

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LFC,
Yep... I’ve made my thoughts known on here about Sydney stack..

I mean fu** me... the kid was made out to be an absolute basket case.. when the exact opposite has proven to be the case.

Surely, knowing that the kid had talent in spades, wouldn’t someone have gone “you know, we can use a rookie pick on this lad, back ourselves and see if we can help him make changes to his life/attitude... and if it doesn’t work out we’ve only blown a rookie pick”..
Thus is a touch ironic really but this is the kind of player that could destabilise a club/ playing group. Not sure our leaders are strong enough to deal with it. We were right to make that call. I think mchenry was drafted to get the group up and about a bit. He is about as out there as we go....

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brownlow medallist, hard to argue that it wasn't the right call.

I doubt he would've left if Walsh was around - but if we got fair value in the trade, it'd still be worth it.

Yeah but the Brownlow medal is irrelevant as to whether he was a good pick for us. It would be like saying Gunston was a good pick for the afc because he played in 3 GFs.

Bazz_27

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LFC,
Too early to be tipping the bucket on Reid. Needs a few more years imo. Last 2 year's draft haven't given us a lot but we haven't given them an opportunity to either really. Not all guys are ready to destroy afl at 20 especially on limited exposure.

Hamish has enough runs on the board that we shouldn't question him. The man is a gem. The argument he looks for quite boys and favours guys from Tassie is bizarre. Of course he does, he is trying to circumvent players the go home factor. Tarryn Thomas is a gun and we were right to bid on him.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
We nailed it with a few left field selections - Dangerfield and Doedee, for example - and got sucked into believing that was the best approach.

We like left field selections now, when we should just be picking the best and most suitable player available.
Wait for the left field pick at 4!

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know there’s a lot of love for Ogilvie around here and I do share a lot of it too.. I think he’s landed some great players with the resources he’s been given.. some real gems in the rough..

But I was pretty disappointed when I listened to that podcast with him in it the other day talking about some of our recent draftees.. chayce Jones was one..

He went to great lengths to point out that the lad had great parents/great upbringing/fine young men blah, blah, blah... it came across to me as if he was pointing out that the club values a lads family upbringing/type of background they come from as much as their footy skills..

Really... these are teenagers we’re talking about here.. some are gonna be from broken homes, bad upbringings and have some rough edges.. a good coach and football department should back themselves in to help these lads mature and become men not shun them..

Had me thinking about the list... realised we haven’t really got that tatt covered junkyard dog type player with a dubious background anywhere on our list?.. not even close..
This really needs to be looked at more seriously, regarding picking a young bloke who is rough around the edges with plenty of mongrel.

Right now the bloke with the most mongrel in our AFL team is currently Fog, a 19 year old kid. All the other blokes we have rarely do the mongrel on a weekly occasion. Opposition teams are not afraid of being hurt when playing against us, if a 19 year old kid is the only mongrel they have to be concerned about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He seems to have that mastered. Or kicking helicopters for goal, or kicking under 15 metres and getting called play on.
Wouldn’t judge him quite yet. Hit a lovely 30-40 m pass at one point early in the game Saturday.

I was right behind the 10m kick. M Crouch was screaming for it, so as a kid what do you do. Crouch should never have been calling for it that close.

The smother was as a result of him trying to move the ball quickly - at least he was trying to create.

I’m not totally sold on him - but it’s too early

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
so as it stands now.
Definite
Otten - retired
Douglas - retired

Rumored
Jenkins - Geelong
Greenwood - Gold Coast
Betts - ??
Keath - Western Bulldogs

Still to happen but we expect something to??
Jacobs - retired / 1 year deal or leave for longer deal elsewhere

The quality family criteria is interesting, Maybe if we went the broken home route these kids could establish their new life in SA and wouldn't be so quick to rush home?

Last edited:
He seems to have that mastered. Or kicking helicopters for goal, or kicking under 15 metres and getting called play on.

Hey he is a raw piece of clay being molded into this coaching panel's playing style.
No need to iron.. out bad traits like taking the game on or Kicking to long options.

mr.sheen

Debutant
Oct 24, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Re: good families debate.

You only need to look at this forum to see how conservative people are— no tattoos! No long hair! Cut off that top knot! Atkins has blonde hair now omg!!
No characters, no passion.
(It’s actually a nice little microcosm of the inherent cultural conservatism of Adelaide the city but that’s another rant for another time)

The crowbots cliche is true and isn’t only applicable to the club.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He has barely hit a target in his AFL games so far and his shots on goal are miles off. Not suggesting he wont be a player but it is worrying at this stage. Doesn't help we pigeon hole him as a forward when he is clearly a mid.
Fair comment

OzSparrow

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manly, Glenelg, Liverpool FC
Interesting to now see the Jenkins PR spin train starting up by the man himself.

We should NEVER have done that deal and we should have taken the Brissy offer.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
We’ve had some interesting list decision choices and when you add them together it’s damming reading:

Henderson - delisted, lose him for nothing, Mackay preferred
Recruitment of Hampton and Menzel
Thommo- retained for additional year, wasted
Lyons- pushed out, receive pick in the 40s
Gibbs- wouldn’t do the deal and then we did for the cost we called irresponsible the year before
Long term deals to older players - Betts, Jenkins, Tex, Sloane, Lynch, Gibbs
Otten- retained for year too long
Passing and going short on the list- missed out on players

Now I’m not saying I got all these right at the time, but that’s not the point. We have highly paid experts to make the right call.

But collectively that’s an ordinary effort

While our recruiting/drafting has been pretty good (thanks Matt, thanks Hamish), our list management and player retention has been so bad it’s ******* embarrassing.

We repeated the Thompson mistake with both Douglas and Otten. It’s almost unbelievable.

Trained monkeys could have seen those ones coming.

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
The 2017 trade period might be the worst of all time

We were a forward half pressure and intercept team

Then we traded our sole elite forward pressure
And our intercept king

And spent the proceeds on a slow ball magnet midfielder who duplicated our existing slow ball magnet midfielders

And then in the draft we picked a key forward and an injury prone medium defender

With zero forward pressure on the list we’ve seen the result ever since

Compare to West Coast who in 2017 were slow and old
- Priddis and Mitchell retired
- started playing Liam Ryan who was pick 26
- started playing Willie Rioli who was pick 52 in 2016

...suddenly with a couple of young players closing down space, and two slow old guys subtracted from the midfield, their whole team became quick and scary to play against.
Added Petrucelle and Jetta also....both of whom have some serious wheels. This is the sort of blueprint we need to follow. They'd been flogged by 8 goals by Hawthorn in 2015 (almost exactly the same scoreline as us in 2017), but haven't just said - "oh, our team was so close, so we'll stick to the same team for years to come" - instead they recognised where they came up short and did something about it. They also didn't blame the players, they fixed their lack of run, and added the necessary flexibility to the side across the park and now have another flag to show for it - and may well repeat it this year!

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
We nailed it with a few left field selections - Dangerfield and Doedee
I fully agree with those 2, but it did really alarm me when he stayed back a year in Victoria. Just seems so strange a kid putting his dream off for a year.

Sent out alarm bells immediately, they would have known too.

Not that anyone would regret the pick at all obviously....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back