Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think the description fringe best 22 is that unreasonable. It’s not a knock on Ellis either it’s testament to how good we are now because he was once well up higher.
Think his omission from the finals last year is evidence of him being in that 15-25 range and he has to play damn well to stay in and he has been.
No different for K-Mac and the like and it’s a great thing.
Agreed... Guys like Caddy/KMac/Short can also be considered fringe 22 and all in roughly the same position. Reckon BEllis is currently top of that pecking order though.

Which creates a bit of a conundrum.

My current preference would be for him to stay, but I can't deny that if he does choose to leave (for which I would bare him no ill will) it has some upside for the team, in so much as he is replaceable from within the existing squad, would free up a decent amount of salary cap and could net us a handy draft pick (especially if there is a bidding war between North and Carlton)

On POT-LX1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Turner and Naish are young and have shown some good signs. Naish disposal looked pretty good to me when he played Afl this year. Another preseason and I’d say naish will be ready to take Brando spot.

Yep, the big squeeze is a comin.......

This place will be unbearable when the inevitable slide out of finals happens, hopefully a 3peat first
Unbearable?
I know what you are saying but having been through decades of utter tripe and a lot of time on here when we were just awful is never ever far from the mind and why I often say to my daughter or younger friends to really soak this up and enjoy every game.
To be honest whilst the footy is great it’s now whilst we are in this period that I find this place more unbearable than when we were poor.

Turner and Naish are young and have shown some good signs. Naish disposal looked pretty good to me when he played Afl this year. Another preseason and I’d say naish will be ready to take Brando spot.
Naish has an elite kick, but right now he is the most outside player at the club. Needs to get a lot bigger and tougher and certainly won't be replacing Ellis as a defensive winger (if there is such a thing). I think Stack will be a great 'defensive winger' and would love to see him start in that position next year. Massive upgrade on Ellis... apart from his running ability.

Naish has an elite kick, but right now he is the most outside player at the club. Needs to get a lot bigger and tougher and certainly won't be replacing Ellis as a defensive winger (if there is such a thing). I think Stack will be a great 'defensive winger' and would love to see him start in that position next year. Massive upgrade on Ellis... apart from his running ability.

He might be outside, but he also absorbs a tackle and dishes, or at least that is how he is being coached and developed. I think this converstion will be very different Round 23 next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nahhh canna see either Naish or Stack doing a winger's job!
Naish is a boy still! Stacky too valuable an impact at HBF...
Well considering Stack is playing forward pocket, he can't be that valuable at HB. Besides a gun winger is a valuable asset and one we haven't had in years... decades even.
And on Naish, he is getting talked about as a Liston Trophy roughy, so he is coming along nicely.

He might be outside, but he also absorbs a tackle and dishes, or at least that is how he is being coached and developed. I think this converstion will be very different Round 23 next season.
I think Naish will be on the cusp very much round 1. It wasn't a criticism, just a fact that because of his lack of size he is not quite AFL size yet so he needs to be outside, but another preseason in the gym will make a big difference. Similar to RCD, he will be 193cm and 85 odd kg's next year, and ready to go.

We could have five superstars coming through or five duds.
We could be savaged by injury or have minimal.
Who knows but people are a bit too keen to discard a reliable, experienced player who is coming into his prime years.
Pretty much out of anyone’s hands bit it sounds like it will probably happen.
It’s going to keep happening and we had better get used to it, part of the territory I guess.
Personally I’m thrilled for the likes Lloyd and Conca and never miss a doggies game on TV.

Who knows but people are a bit too keen to discard a reliable, experienced player who is coming into his prime years.

Some might be keen, but they would be in the vast, vast minority. Most recognise though that the Club's Salary Cap might be unable to fit his desired contract, and so he would be forced to decide between another Club's large contract or the Tiger's lesser contract. I doubt you will find anyone of sound mind that would dispute he is experienced and is either in his prime or as you suggest coming into his prime (which assumes you think he might even get better). We will all know in about 6 weeks or less!

The call of naish replacing Ellis next year is at least a year too soon, though I expect great things from naish..so I’m not anti naish, I think he’s got a great future. Can see Ellis role changing as he ages but I think he is in prime 2019/20 could be even better next year.

Pretty much out of anyone’s hands bit it sounds like it will probably happen.
It’s going to keep happening and we had better get used to it, part of the territory I guess.
Personally I’m thrilled for the likes Lloyd and Conca and never miss a doggies game on TV.

I'm the same, less so Conca though. Doggies have been a kind of 2nd team since way back when Wallace coached them. They have always been entertaining to watch. Having a nephew there a while just elevated my real liking for the Doggies. Lloyd being there helps also and I think they have been helped a little by his forward craft and nous.

Nahhh canna see either Naish or Stack doing a winger's job!
Naish is a boy still! Stacky too valuable an impact at HBF...
Stack midfield or wing. Egg the forgotten man off the HBF.
Next year these guys will be pushing to fit into our side from Sunday :Egg Stack CCJ Balta Naish and Pickett . Of course Cotchin and Rance were both out also and they walk straight in.
Moore and KMac can’t even get gigs.

People on here don’t have any say in it as it’s opinion based on the strength the club is in. Didn’t we add to our list with getting Lynch? We’re in a financial squeeze atm and the future of the RFC comes before any individual. It’s unfortunate, but it’s happening and even with lesser quality players such as Conca and Lloyd. I’m also happy for Miles as he was too good for VFL . I think Moore and Menadue will depart for more opportunities.
The club haven’t discarded Ellis as they offered him a contract and it may mean that the shoe is on the other foot as Ellis has put talks on hold. This is the right thing to do by him as you don’t get these opportunities in life too often.
It’s called financial negotiating and not discarding , but these have to all be weighed up against the future of the RFC being stronger and bolder.
It’s basic accounting simplified to what are the benefits in losing a player v his loss and it’s not only monetary related. I would love to keep Ellis until our bambino’s matured a bit more, but it maybe financially impossible or viable due to the high markets demand set by other clubs.
The bottom line is nobody is discarding him as it’s out of everyone’s hand at the club bc he’s put negotiations on hold in waiting to test the market.

Last edited:
People on here don’t have any say in it as it’s opinion based on the strength the club is in. Didn’t we add to our list with getting Lynch? We’re in a financial squeeze atm and the future of the RFC comes before any individual. It’s unfortunate, but it’s happening and even with lesser quality players such as Conca and Lloyd. I’m also happy for Miles as he was too good for VFL . I think Moore and Menadue will depart for more opportunities.
The club haven’t discarded Ellis as they offered him a contract and it may mean that the shoe is on the other foot as Ellis has put talks on hold. This is the right thing to do by him as you don’t get these opportunities in life too often.
It’s called financial negotiating and not discarding , but these have to all be weighed up against the future of the RFC being stronger and bolder.
It’s basic accounting simplified to what are the benefits in losing a player v his loss and it’s not only monetary related. I would love to keep Ellis until our bambino’s matured a bit more, but it maybe financially impossible or viable due to the high markets demand set by other clubs.
The bottom line is nobody is discarding him as it’s out of everyone’s hand at the club bc he’s put negotiations on hold in waiting to test the market.
I am a little bit discarding him. I think some of our bambino's might come on sooner than later. Add Bolton to potential wingman as well. Happy to keep him.... as backup (couldn't resist).

Tell you something else too about Ellis it’s to his own credit that he finds himself in this position anyway.
Think back 12 months ago and he was out of favor, out of the team and didn’t even finish top 20 in the B&F, now he has himself back in, will not be finishing anywhere outside top 20 and has himself in a position where he has options.
So it’s not a Brandon Ellis bashing exercise, not from my end anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back