Roast Gillon Mclachlan - Get rid of this tool, please

Remove this Banner Ad

For not paying tax purposes only.
But aren't they reinvesting the money back in to grassroots? There's a reason auskick costs $100 a year and dancing costs thousands. It's not like the profits are lining the pockets of the shareholders. I understand that the business savvy operators want to make as financially sound a product as possible, but I'm not sold on the motives that some people are putting up on here.

But aren't they reinvesting the money back in to grassroots? There's a reason auskick costs $100 a year and dancing costs thousands. It's not like the profits are lining the pockets of the shareholders. I understand that the business savvy operators want to make as financially sound a product as possible, but I'm not sold on the motives that some people are putting up on here.

Its probably as much money going to grassroots as there is money donated actually going to the charities. They line their own pockets/needs first and the grassroots get the shiny silver coins at the end.

The AFL reserve about 20,000 odd themselves to sell as corporate seats.
Actually it is far worse than that. As few as 16000 may be allocated to competing club members, with potentially none at all given to the competing clubs to distribute.

The rest go to corporate sponsors, up to 30000 may be allocated, MCC and AFL members (up to 54000 allocated) and between 0 and 7000 distributed between all 18 clubs.

Its a full on joke. Even club members don't have a realistic chance to get a seat.

We should return to a grass roots competition where the players are amateurs (so they'll need jobs outside of their clubs).
Be funny if the guy that does your tax also plays fullback for Essendon on the weekend.
Players will change but the clubs won't and going to the footy will be immensly cheaper.

Last edited:
No they are not. Of the 131 million dollars of free tax payer funding committed in 2019, the vast majority is servicing AFL clubs.

Country clubs report that it costs about 4 times more to run the club under the AFL banner, as opposed to running it themselves. Yes, that's right, they pay for the privelege of playing the sport that enables the AFL to exist. Go figure.

Of the 6.7 billion dollars of AFL total revenue raised last year, only 225 million was allocated to grassroots footy. Whilst they generated around 16 million from club affiliation payments.

I mean they should be ashamed of that, but no one other than every single grassroot club outside of Melbourne seems to care.

We should return to a grass roots competition where the players are amateurs (so they'll need jobs outside of their clubs).
Be funny if the guy that does your tax also plays fullback for Essendon on the weekend.
Players will change but the clubs won't and going to the footy will be immensly cheaper.
At least I will know he is playing for the club and not the money.

Get rid of GWS and GC plus the two least supported Melbourne clubs and pare back the AFL playerbase by 160 odd, raising the overall spread of talent and we don't have to put up with garbage football like when GC plays.

Like what motives? A fair and transparent, truly national competition, whose only purpose is to facilitate and Foster the game for players and supporters from the ground up?

Yep, devious motivations... :rolleyes:

Get rid of GWS and GC plus the two least supported Melbourne clubs and pare back the AFL playerbase by 160 odd, raising the overall spread of talent and we don't have to put up with garbage football like when GC plays.
No thanks. GWS and GCS would thrive without the plethora of Melbourne clubs leeching the national competition.

No thanks. GWS and GCS would thrive without the plethora of Melbourne clubs leeching the national competition.
No they wouldn't, they'd crash and burn without AFL assistance and you know it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What tool would best describe Gil?
I don't know what they are called, but those cheap screwdrivers that have wratchet handles and socket ends. Look fancy, but completely useless for anything more challenging than unscrewing the battery plate on your laptop.

Geelong supporters really are s**t scared of possibly playing Richmond at the G in the finals aren’t they?
I think they're unhappy about it because it's your home ground and they'll finish above you, I guess if the rolls were reversed you'd be happy about it....

You said what Gillon said. It's always been a Melbourne centric corporate money spinner?

Not sure if your intention is to defend his position, but if you say more people are watching from home, then surely there is no requirement to corrupt the fixture by giving home ground advantage to clubs that don't deserve it?
I am not defending anything, just pointing out what is. How do you mean home ground advantages to undeserving clubs? Can you elaborate?

No they wouldn't, they'd crash and burn without AFL assistance and you know it
How? They have been bled dry after developing their best youth by primarily Melbourne clubs. And we know the AFL has granted priority picks and financial assistance to some of those Melbourne clubs to help them poach that footy IP (Carlton being the main offender, but looking at Melbourne, too).

If they don't have clubs able to tank, beg, borrow and steal their best youth they won't have half the problem retaining players. It's a no brainer.

Gill the Dill is a Polo loving, Au pair using, chardonnay sipping, social climbing, brown nosing, boys club enabling buffoon who is only interested in looking in the mirror and basking in his own self assessed magnificence.

Wow .. and all this time I thought it was just me who thought this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back