Roast Gillon Mclachlan - Get rid of this tool, please

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Won't somebody think of the children?! It's simple supply vs demand in this instance

Gil is an idiot but we can't ignore basic economics. Of course something more popular will cost more; that's why Ed Sheeran can charge more than his cover act

No s**t Sherlock. They always talk about it being the peoples game but then they want to squeeze as much money as they can out of everyone. That my whole point. Go back to the good old days when you could rock up and get a seat. As I said, still have reserved seats but if they aren't sold then people can sit in them.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
No s**t Sherlock. They always talk about it being the peoples game but then they want to squeeze as much money as they can out of everyone. That my whole point. Go back to the good old days when you could rock up and get a seat. As I said, still have reserved seats but if they aren't sold then people can sit in them.
I agree you should be able to sit wherever if there game has no one at the game but you complained "a reserved ticket might cost you twice as much for a blockbuster'.

Obviously it'll cost more.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree you should be able to sit wherever if there game has no one at the game but you complained "a reserved ticket might cost you twice as much for a blockbuster'.

Obviously it'll cost more.

I understand the economics about it but they choose and have chosen to make them more expensive for big ticketed games. Greed, its all it comes down to. People keep paying it so they wont change their stance. The revenue increases and the people getting richer are the players/coaches/staff and most of all AFL commission etc

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I really want to disengage with the AFL completely.

It sucks that I'm such a sucker for footy
Well the thing is that you would not have to disengage for long to create change. A month would do it. Stay away from footy for a month and at the beginning of the season, so you can re engage when the footy gets better. The problem of course is getting everybody to do it at the same time, amassing the troops for a common cause is the hardest to do. If we could do it we could change anything we wanted.......but we will start with the AFL, yeah?

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well the thing is that you would not have to disengage for long to create change. A month would do it. Stay away from footy for a month and at the beginning of the season, so you can re engage when the footy gets better. The problem of course is getting everybody to do it at the same time, amassing the troops for a common cause is the hardest to do. If we could do it we could change anything we wanted.......but we will start with the AFL, yeah?
This is what I've never understood about beer prices here. If people got together on FB/twitter/reddit/whatever and said "no one buy a beer until prices go back to a reasonable price" they'd have no choice. No one does it, lines are 10 deep all game and they're up over $10 & they just complain. It's insane but you can't herd idiots

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
West coast vs Essendon match at Perth stadium couple few months ago.

3 days before the game I go online to get two tickets. Two options were $67 to sit up the very top of stand in a pocket or $110 on the centre wing lower level.

Took option two and paid the price.

Footy. The people’s game.
It's $40 to stand at AO (including the ridiculous ticketek charges). If I go and want a beer or two it's up to $60. Just for a footy game and standing - imagine doing that 11 times a year!

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
This is what I've never understood about beer prices here. If people got together on FB/twitter/reddit/whatever and said "no one buy a beer until prices go back to a reasonable price" they'd have no choice. No one does it, lines are 10 deep all game and they're up over $10 & they just complain. It's insane but you can't herd idiots
Yep. Just like lambs to the slaughter we wait in line for fear of missing out. We do not realise just how powerful we are as a collective.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Yep goes for anything they do, we keep turning up and forking over the dollars.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's $40 to stand at AO (including the ridiculous ticketek charges). If I go and want a beer or two it's up to $60. Just for a footy game and standing - imagine doing that 11 times a year!
Buy a kids ticket online and hope you don't get stung at the gate. If you do, walk to another gate and buy a new kids ticket on the way (on phone). Won't get caught twice and still saves $20...

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
St Kilda get as much money as us hey?
Wouldn’t even be close to getting the same amount is just pr bullshit from gill trying as usual to cover up the true amount the expansion is costing no way gws a club that only has 30,000 members and averages only 12,000 to home games is being operated of the a similar budget as st kilda 😂

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

I actually just clicked concession and got both for $80 each. As long as it scans green in you go.

So for my once a year game on the wing in prime spot I don’t mind paying.

But if you wanted to go half a dozen times a year it would be expensive.

Hence why folks buy memberships 💁‍♂️

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The game has been a commercially focused product of the industry long before he took over, pressure applied from media outlets to gain rights and exclusive coverage exists because of the age we live in. The reason attendances are low is because for not that much money you can have access to every single game on the network. It’s not that people aren’t watching, they’re watching at home.

The GF is a corporate revenue driver. Always has been really. The best thing to do is allocate seating in a three way split; commercial, and by each club. You have to have supporters getting those tickets however, otherwise they can be allocated for commercial purposes. Essentially come GF day the fan should have equal representation.
All clubs get tickets already & most sell them off, its a money grab.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Gill the Dill is a Polo loving, Au pair using, chardonnay sipping, social climbing, brown nosing, boys club enabling buffoon who is only interested in looking in the mirror and basking in his own self assessed magnificence.

Seconded, but with "sex scandal covering"...

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
Nah, you are just another illiterate who can't read. Stfu if you can't contribute something useful, this thread isn't about Geelong or Richmond at all.

You made about 3 actual points:

1) Finals being played at the G - you mentioned this one twice
2) GC priority pick
3) Not treating the fans well - which you related back to the finals being at the G

You also grizzled about the level of discontent he's caused outside of Victoria, yet you want to him kill off Vic clubs. What better way to look after the fans than by killing the club they've supported their entire lives?

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
What I found funny is that after saying the game is for the fans and supporters, only 36,000 tickets are available for the Grand Final. That is ridiculous.
That perfectly illustrates how rotten the AFL is and how flawed their priorities are. It would be such an easy thing to fix.

There are people who will invest decades of their lives and spend tens of thousands of dollars on their chosen club. The whole point of that is hoping to one day see a flag, there's no reason, other than AFL headquarters abject greed and contempt for ordinary supporters, why such a small number of tickets should be available.

It's why the AFL and state government legislation about scalpers rings very hollow indeed- the AFL scalps its own product on a huge scale and at margins which are directly responsible for desperate people heading to Gumtree or Viagogo. The only difference is Kevin_58 from Prahrain probably won't charge you $1500 and force you to eat a plate of scrambled eggs before handing over the tickets he's scalping.

The first Victorian politician of any persuasion who legislated for a hard 75% allocation of tickets to the grand final to be sold at reasonable prices to ordinary fans would get overwhelming support.

MVille Swan

Senior List
Aug 13, 2016
Inner West
AFL Club
Sydney
Wouldn’t even be close to getting the same amount is just pr bulls**t from gill trying as usual to cover up the true amount the expansion is costing no way gws a club that only has 30,000 members and averages only 12,000 to home games is being operated of the a similar budget as st kilda 😂

GWS corporate sponsorship income is the seventh highest in the league. So they don't require as much AFL support per member as the
likes of St Kilda. They benefit from being in Sydney where a lot more major companies have their headquarters than in Melbourne.
Also they are one of only two AFL teams in Sydney. So the money any smaller Sydney companies want to spend sponsoring a Sydney team
is only split between two teams. The Swans corporate sponsorship income is also very high, as they benefit from being sponsored by
very large companies like QBE, Volkswagen & Qatar Airways. Being in Sydney certainly helps both clubs get sponsorship.

Last edited:

MVille Swan

Senior List
Aug 13, 2016
Inner West
AFL Club
Sydney
Actually it is far worse than that. As few as 16000 may be allocated to competing club members, with potentially none at all given to the competing clubs to distribute.

The rest go to corporate sponsors, up to 30000 may be allocated, MCC and AFL members (up to 54000 allocated) and between 0 and 7000 distributed between all 18 clubs.

Its a full on joke. Even club members don't have a realistic chance to get a seat.

So this entire argument for continuing to play the GF at the MCG till the 27th century "because it's the only ground big enough" rests on sixty plus thousand people who couldn't give a flying f who was playing, let alone who won being able to tell their mates they went to, you know, something at the MCG.
Brilliant.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
GWS corporate sponsorship income is the seventh highest in the league. So they don't require as much AFL support per member as the
likes of St Kilda. They benefit from being in Sydney where a lot more major companies have their headquarters than in Melbourne.
Also they are one of only two AFL teams in Sydney. So the money any smaller Sydney companies want to spend sponsoring a Sydney team
is only split between two teams. The Swans corporate sponsorship income is also very high, as they benefit from being sponsored by
very large companies like QBE, Volkswagen & Qatar Airways. Being in Sydney certainly helps both clubs get sponsorship.
Yeah I understand clubs sponsorship deals vary a lot from club to club the reason I find this hard to believe from gill is because reports gws are not even breaking even on there home games due to how small the crowds have been and the suns apparently have one of the worst stadium deals in the league at Metricon!

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
The problem isn't Gil. He's got the AFL Commission and 18 clubs to please. Their view of AFL is not our view - they want to maximise viewers, increase market share, maximise TV revenue and sponsors, rather than foster the sport and the community around it. Whoever replaces him will be doing the same.

Back