Autopsy Were the Brisbane v Geelong and Richmond v West Coast games the best two games of the season thus far?

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Tigers v Eagles was better to watch but doesn’t mean they are better overall, it’s just we are really quite boring these days, not the lions fault, we will drag the other 2 into a boring scrap also.

If we are on defensively I think we can win it.
It’s disappointing this is our style now, Geelong’s attacking style from the Blight era made it easy to support us and through to the Thompson era.

Lucky we are top 2, I may have tuned out.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Simple question.

I feel like they were, but I might be forgetting some real thrillers. Glad that matches that were actually hyped lived up to it, in any case.

(if I were to pick one that was better, I'd go the Richmond/West Coast one, but I do think they were both crackers)

Easily Geelong

Does a game have to be close to be considered great?

I do think that both games were two of the better games I've seen this season, but the most exhilarating and enjoyable game (and yes there is some bias involved) was the North/Port game. Some of North's goals, the ball movement and the domination of our two big forwards was a little reminiscent of our footy in the mid 90's. Of course the general incompetence of our opponents played a part in it, which was also a little reminiscent of our battles in 90's. :)

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Does a game have to be close to be considered great?

I do think that both games were two of the better games I've seen this season, but the most exhilarating and enjoyable game (and yes there is some bias involved) was the North/Port game. Some of North's goals, the ball movement and the domination of our two big forwards was a little reminiscent of our footy in the mid 90's. Of course the general incompetence of our opponents played a part in it, which was also a little reminiscent of our battles in 90's. :)

For neutrals, we mostly want to see a close fought, competitive spectacle, but I did enjoy North thrashing Port.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think it's lazy to say that the Lions/Cats game was worse because of skill errors.

It certainly was the more defensive minded game, the pressure from both teams was high, both teams restricting the run and spread game. The final quarter it opened up a bit more with the corridor being used more often. Certainly wasn't slow-paced either.

The first half between Eagles/Tigers was more free-flowing, offensive minded. Second half, mostly due to the weather, slowed down and became a grind. There were plenty of skill errors but the weather is likely why.

Both games were an arm wrestle that could have gone either way, with the home team getting it done in the final minutes. Not much more you could ask for over both games. WC/Rich slightly better for me, less stress as well.

Agreed and think you could also say the final 10 minutes or so when the Lions said f it and opened the game up was the most exciting footy of the season thus far

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the second Hawthorn v Geelong game was better than both. As everyo e expected Geelong to thump Hawthorn... yet Clarkson does what Clarkson does and Hawthorn got the chocolates. What a win!
When we (inevitably) go on to win the flag, Chris Scott can personally thank Clarko for showing him how to play football.

Mission Accomplished.

When we (inevitably) go on to win the flag, Chris Scott can personally thank Clarko for showing him how to play football.

Mission Accomplished.

You'd hope you would win the flag after the start you've had. It'd be the biggest egg on face moment for a football club in history.
And Geelong's last realistic chance with Kelly looking likely to head West and Selwood/Dangerfield/Ablett being another year older and closer to the end.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You'd hope you would win the flag after the start you've had. It'd be the biggest egg on face moment for a football club in history.
And Geelong's last realistic chance with Kelly looking likely to head West and Selwood/Dangerfield/Ablett being another year older and closer to the end.
Sorry, is this the bay?

Unless you can show me proof you had the cats going at least 9-3 before the bye, you can't shift the goalposts and declare anything other than a premiership a failure of a season. We just happened to play 9 teams who won't feature in finals in the first 12 weeks.

Sorry, is this the bay?

Unless you can show me proof you had the cats going at least 9-3 before the bye, you can't shift the goalposts and declare anything other than a premiership a failure of a season. We just happened to play 9 teams who won't feature in finals in the first 12 weeks.

Pardon my French but if you've been in 1st spot on the ladder for the brunt of the season you're expected to be premiership favourites. Anything less than a grand final appearance is a failure on Chris Scott, the rest of the coaching panel and the players themselves.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Pardon my French but if you've been in 1st spot on the ladder for the brunt of the season you're expected to be premiership favourites. Anything less than a grand final appearance is a failure on Chris Scott, the rest of the coaching panel and the players themselves.
Teams to have won the flag from 1st:
2004: Port Adelaide
2007: Geelong
2010: Collingwood

Gee whizz, it'd surely buck the trend if we finished 1st and didn't win the flag.

Purrfect pussy

AFLPA MVP
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
What French?

Who’s season is more of a failure? The team 3rd favourites for the flag and likely minor premiers, or the oldest team in the league that won’t even play finals?

Enjoy your September!

What French?

Who’s season is more of a failure? The team 3rd favourites for the flag and likely minor premiers, or the oldest team in the league that won’t even play finals?

Enjoy your September!

Geelong's more than Hawthorn's.
Hawthorn were expected to finish 12th-18th, and once Tom Mitchell went down our season was kaput :D

Purrfect pussy

AFLPA MVP
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong's more than Hawthorn's.
Hawthorn were expected to finish 12th-18th, and once Tom Mitchell went down our season was kaput :D
Geelong were also predicted to miss the 8 by many at the start of the season. I love how you say ours even though we can actually still win the flag.

Can spin it however you want to make yourself feel better but your season is more of a failure and you know it.

FYI I do think you guys will respond next year if coniglio/Patton rumours are true.

Purrfect pussy

AFLPA MVP
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
My point is you've had the Willy Wonka golden ticket this year and if you fail to win the premiership it's a calamity of a fail.
Your trolling is simply getting worse and worse. You just hate the fact the cats are actually a shot at winning a flag while your mobs main focus is already trade week

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I actually thought the Pies 1 point win in Perth against West Coast about a month ago was right up there as a contest.

Was an absolute belter. Shootout football early and then we managed to shut it down and secure a come from behind, 1 point win against the odds. Loved it.

The three biggest tests in football right now are WC away, Brisbane away and Richmond at the G (probably along with - for a non-Victorian side, having Collingwood travel to play you).

Other than us, Port beat WC in Perth, nobody has beaten Brisbane at the GABBA and only Geelong have beaten Richmond at the G. We've pulled off all three this year which has me reasonably confident we can pass some stern tests in September.

It's going to be a great finals series.

Back