General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t really know about 3-5 years. As Sylvia Saint posted, you can basically rebuild within that time.

There are obviously limitations to arbitrarily placing players in age, experience and role categories. That said I’d argue that we would like more players in the 24-28 years old with 100 games bracket.

As it stands the list is broken down as:
24-28: 16, 34.0%
29+:5, 10.7%

Games experience
0-50: 26
51-100: 11
100+: 10

That’s not to say: ooooh we have so many in the 19-23 age bracket & 0-50 games just wait 3 years and voila. For example, Billy Stretch is 22 years old with 46 games experience and nobody would be surprised if he was delisted. In short, young and not up to it is the same as old and not up to it. There are also outliers: only having 35 games experience means far less to 27 year old vandenBerg who is 188cm 93kgs than 31 games experience means for 22 year old Weideman. Also, not all improvement is linear, I still have faith in Viney getting back to his best however he is supposed to be in his prime now whereas he had far more impact as 22-23 year old in the 51-100 games bracket.

For further context here is a breakdown of age and games experience:
19-23 & 0-50: 18
24-28 & 0-50: 8

19-23 & 51-100: 8
24-28 & 51-100: 3

24-28 & 100+: 5
29+ & 100+: 5

24-28 & 100 games is where I think most players will enter their prime. The five who fit that criteria on the list are: Gawn, May, Melksham, T McDonald and Viney. The likes of Brayshaw, Lever, O McDonald, Oliver, Petracca & Salem will join them in the next 2 seasons, injury permitting.

All that said, none of this takes into account intangibles such as morale, confidence, leadership, hunger, work ethic, game plan and the improvement of other clubs. However, doing this exercise has helped me understand that overall the list is still somewhat immature. That doesn’t excuse 17th with 5-17 or mean that this isn’t a wasted year but it also doesn’t mean we’re f’ed and it’s time to rebuild again.
That's insanely bad that we have 8 blokes who are over 24 who havent played 50 games yet

That's insanely bad that we have 8 blokes who are over 24 who havent played 50 games yet
yep I agree. I see it as one of the main problems with our list. we need a second wave of talented kids to come through in the next few years and push those guys out of the squad before we can expect any real success.

we picked up too many mature aged players that don't really have much scope for improvement. need to push them out with kids who could have more upside in the long run.

To provide further context:
Player nameAgeGames experience
Hannan2541
Keilty242
Kennedy-Harris2438
Preuss2414
Maynard272
T Smith2813
J Wagner2540
vandenBerg2735

Vanders and Hannan would’ve probably not been in this category but for injury. Preuss is a developing ruckman. Maynard has already retired. T Smith may keep a spot due to a lack of KPF depth but he is about to enter rarified air as a 29+ 0-50 gamer. The rest are just about done I would say.

Overall it probably speaks to us filling up the back end of the list with Cat B and mature state league players. I guess 3 years with no first round picks could do that to a club?

However, the likes of Hore, Lockhart, J Smith & Walker will cross into this category in the next 12 months. If I get some more time I’ll have a look at Richmond, West Coast, Geelong and Collingwood to see how our age/experience stacks up with the best.

Last edited:
Here is a simple stat that sums up our midfield IMO

Oliver, Brayshaw and Viney have take 42 bounces combined for their whole career, Jones 19 in the last 5 years

Jayden Hunt took 43 in 2017.. he's taken 8 since.
We have completely crippled the freedom of this side.

Steele Sidebottom has 35 in the last 2 years

Cripps has 42 in his career alone

Adam Saad has had 40 this year

Our mids are useless inside stat padders.

Nah the issue is that we have kept a bunch of nothing players around for far too long.
Here are the Age/Games Experience breakdowns for West Coast:

19-23 & 0-50: 20
19-23 & 51-100: 3

24-28 & 0-50: 4
24-28 & 51-100: 3
24-28 & 100+: 8

29+ & 0-50: 1
29+ & 100: 7

So, there are only 4 in the 24-28 & 0-50 game category and Keegan Brooksby who is 4th/5th ruck option who is 29 & has played 14 games.

The other players are:
Brandon Ah Chee 25 & 36
Fraser McInnes 26 & 14
Willie Rioli 24 & 36
Josh Smith 25 & 34

In summary, Rioli will leave the category soon enough and is an established gun small forward. Brandon Ah Chee and Josh Smith are senior bodies recruited from other clubs that provide reasonable depth. Fraser McInness is a utility that is there as a potential 4th or 5th ruck / KPP depth option. West Coast don’t appear to have nearly as many list cloggers which is part of the reason they are massively ahead of us.

so apparently we are presenting to the commission next week for some sort of hand out, Surely couldn't be asking for a priority pick could we?

fu** I wish I barracked for a club I respected.

Doubt it, we've proven priority picks won't help. Instead, I believe we're just straight up asking for Cripps or Bontempelli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so apparently we are presenting to the commission next week for some sort of hand out, Surely couldn't be asking for a priority pick could we?

It will probably be us presenting why we need to retain pick 2, we aren't asking for a hand out but rather that they don't compensate GC with a 1st round PP.

To be fair we really need someone like Anderson, we have had 1 good year in the past 10, we aren't asking for help but probably pleading our case as the team that has the most to lose if GC recieve a PP.

Doubt it, we've proven priority picks won't help. Instead, I believe we're just straight up asking for Cripps or Bontempelli.
more inside mids sounds good.

maybe we need a million dollars to pay Roos to come back and fix us again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back