Free Agency Brandon Ellis [Signs for Gold Coast, Richmond receive #39 compensation]

Ok so I have some mail. Ellis meet with Carlton recently and a deal was tabled. 550k for the first 2 years and 500k the 2 after that.

2.1million over 4 years and the opportunity to step in a leadership role down the track. Ellis has virtually accepted and won’t be at Richmond next year.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Ok so I have some mail. Ellis meet with Carlton recently and a deal was tabled. 550k for the first 2 years and 500k the 2 after that.

2.1million over 4 years and the opportunity to step in a leadership role down the track. Ellis has virtually accepted and won’t be at Richmond next year.

Seems like pretty big overs to me...but I guess you have to overpay to lure players.

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton
To get guys like Lang, Kennedy, Lobbe, Palmer etc you had to pay them significant overs. Unlike them, Ellis is a much better player than all of those guys and a lock for your 22 for the next 4 years.
lobbe contract was half being payed by port lol, and no palmer would've been very cheap as well considering what we gave up to get him...

Ellis is an above average winger and premiership player in career (or close to) best form. $500K is a very good get for a player of this calibre. He is the tigers best winger by a mile and will walk into the Blues a top 10 player.

Thought that was down to it being a salary dump?

Yes, he was a salary dump to bring Marchbank in a little cheaper than we otherwise may have been able to.

With both him and Lobbe there was probably also an element of having to pay someone to meet the TPP requirements.

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
The problem with Bigfooty is you don't know if you are chatting with informed adults or school children still asking the teacher how big the margin needs to be and what colour pen they are allowed to use.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
LOL. You can’t seriously justify the contracts of Lobbe and Palmer. 9 games between them. Low bench if so.
You mean the salary dumps we took on to reach 95% of our cap which we successfully did for 3 straight years that now leaves us with extra millions for the next few years? Allowing us to afford someone like Coniglio (who may or may not come).

I’d do those salary dumps again every day of the week. Helped us reach our TPP without overpaying any of our kids.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
You mean the salary dumps we took on to reach 95% of our cap which we successfully did for 3 straight years that now leaves us with extra millions for the next few years? Allowing us to afford someone like Coniglio (who may or may not come).

I’d do those salary dumps again every day of the week. Helped us reach our TPP without overpaying any of our kids.
Hold up.
I put those players up as comparisons to what Ellis is reportedly being offered by the Blues.

And claiming paying big for Lobbe will help you get Coniglio is laughable, even for you.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Hold up.
I put those players up as comparisons to what Ellis is reportedly being offered by the Blues.

And claiming paying big for Lobbe will help you get Coniglio is laughable, even for you.
We didn’t sign Palmer and Lobbe up to any contracts though? We inherited them and knicked them off as quick as possible - which is what a salary dump is. Lobbe had half his contract being paid by Port anyway and is on peanuts now. I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make?

From all reports our salary cap couldn’t be healthier and all our key players are signed up long term. So I find it laughable you’re trying to pick holes in a plan that has been executed pretty well.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
We didn’t sign Palmer and Lobbe up to any contracts though? We inherited them and knicked them off as quick as possible - which is what a salary dump is. Lobbe had half his contract being paid by Port anyway and is on peanuts now. I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make?

From all reports our salary cap couldn’t be healthier and all our key players are signed up long term. So I find it laughable you’re trying to pick holes in a plan that has been executed pretty well.
Heh.
My point has always been that Ellis will be a handier pick up for the Blues compared to some of the other spuds that SOS has given big contracts to.

Not that hard to understand, but for some it seems it is.

It’s not about picking holes in SOS plan. The thread is about Brandon Ellis.

But hearing you justify Lobbe and Palmers recruitment as some long term grand master plan is hilarious.

Last edited:

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Heh.
My point has always been that Ellis will be a handier pick up for the Blues compared to some of the other spuds that SOS has given big contracts to.

Not that hard to understand, but for some it seems it is.

Tell me again how Palmer and Lobbes recruitment is helping Carlton land Coniglio. Delusional.
Who has SOS offered big contracts to? He inherited contracts and took them on as salary dumps.

Ok I’ll explain again because you don’t understand.

When we started the rebuild we cleared out all our top end talent leaving a large amount of room in the salary cap. If we were to reach 95% (minimum) of the cap it would’ve meant heavily overpaying our young players which probably isn’t the best idea. To get around this we took on large contracts GWS needed to get off their books like Rhys Palmer and others. By not overpaying our young players long term we had probably 3-4 large contracts topping us up to 95% that would cease at the end of each year. By doing this we’ve managed to bank 5% of the cap for 3 years now (you can pay up to 105%), I could be wrong here but the Salary cap is $12.45m, so we’ve got 3 years worth of 5% ($1.8m) + an extra $1.8m if we want to spent up to 105%.

TL;DR by taking on salary dumps we didn’t overpay our players long-term allowing us to bank 5% each year.

Hopefully this helped and you can wrap your head around this. Pot Carlton for something else, not their list management thus far. If you listened to flog Malthouses podcast recently he explained when he got to the club we were exceeding the cap. So SOS has come into a list rated worse than fitzroys and exceeding the cap. Not a bad effort to turn it around.

On Ellis, $500k isn’t a huge salary these days nor will it be with the impending cap increase either. But is probably a bit overs.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Who has SOS offered big contracts to? He inherited contracts and took them on as salary dumps.

Ok I’ll explain again because you don’t understand.

When we started the rebuild we cleared out all our top end talent leaving a large amount of room in the salary cap. If we were to reach 95% (minimum) of the cap it would’ve meant heavily overpaying our young players which probably isn’t the best idea. To get around this we took on large contracts GWS needed to get off their books like Rhys Palmer and others. By not overpaying our young players long term we had probably 3-4 large contracts topping us up to 95% that would cease at the end of each year. By doing this we’ve managed to bank 5% of the cap for 3 years now (you can pay up to 105%), I could be wrong here but the Salary cap is $12.45m, so we’ve got 3 years worth of 5% ($1.8m) + an extra $1.8m if we want to spent up to 105%.

TL;DR by taking on salary dumps we didn’t overpay our players long-term allowing us to bank 5% each year.

Hopefully this helped and you can wrap your head around this. Pot Carlton for something else, not their list management thus far. If you listened to flog Malthouses podcast recently he explained when he got to the club we were exceeding the cap. So SOS has come into a list rated worse than fitzroys and exceeding the cap. Not a bad effort to turn it around.

On Ellis, $500k isn’t a huge salary these days nor will it be with the impending cap increase either. But is probably a bit overs.
In summary, Ellis better value for the Blues than spuds Lobbe and Palmer.

Which is the point I’ve been making before you derailed this thread with all your Carlton list strategy crap.

Via Martin Gleeson at The Age

Carlton are also interested in the skilful Martin while they pursue several other players, with GWS midfielder Stephen Coniglio the priority while they are also keen on Sydney small forward Tom Papley and have discussed a significant contract offer for the Swan. They have also shown interest in Richmond premiership flanker Brandon Ellis.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hmmmm seems like with cognilio signing a big deal, carlton is now after the next big thing in ellis and amon.

Back