Unsolved Taman Shud Case - The Somerton Man

Remove this Banner Ad

Gordon Strapps was sitting a few feet away from the man, his description is first hand ... you, on the other hand are basing your argument by exhibiting a trouser advertisement over 70 years old ... remembering that Strapps was of the opinion that the striped trousers may have been part of a suit.
My research over the past ten years have convinced me that the two witnesses whose depositions were not taken seriously were Strapps and Moss ... both men were low on the social and professional scale at the time.
I have another question for you BlueE ... were any matches found on the body?
1/4 full Bryant and May matches. Not sure why you're asking unless pointing out Melbourne Bryant and May factory closed down in 1947 (not to say they weren't available still in shops so curious what you're getting out there) and these matches could have come from the English factory?

The legs were sunburned right up to the crutch, but he hadn't been burned by the sun for some months or the previous summer.

Or he's come from the Northern Hemisphere where there summer had finished a couple of months ago, with his box of English matches. He also makes comment that he looked European.

John Dwyer Post Mortum examiner.

Has anyone got a picture of Second Lieutenant US Army, Office of Strategic Services - Detachment 101, Harold Lincoln Berg, allegedly MIA in Burma during 1944, for comparison purposes?

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
1/4 full Bryant and May matches. Not sure why you're asking unless pointing out Melbourne Bryant and May factory closed down in 1947 (not to say they weren't available still in shops so curious what you're getting out there) and these matches could have come from the English factory?

The legs were sunburned right up to the crutch, but he hadn't been burned by the sun for some months or the previous summer.

Or he's come from the Northern Hemisphere where there summer had finished a couple of months ago, with his box of English matches. He also makes comment that he looked European.

View attachment 731530

View attachment 731531

View attachment 731532
John Dwyer Post Mortum examiner.
Moss didn’t’ find any matches on the body. ... his deposition confirms this. Feltus also mentions some additional underwear was placed with his possessions ... surely you remember that?
You have read the book? It is required reading.

In addition ... I have photos of members of the Ballet Russes troupe frolicking on Bungan Beach in the late thirties ... the men are wearing swimming costumes and shirts, which could explain why the Somerton Man was tanned to the crutch, if indeed he was prone to the same habit.

Moss didn’t’ find any matches on the body. ... his deposition confirms this. Feltus also mentions some additional underwear was placed with his possessions ... surely you remember that?
You have read the book? It is required reading.
Didn't say in the Inquest they were found on the body. I'm trying to keep to the larger picture and certain there was a cover up. If you think the matches were part of that, fine.

What does he say about the police photo that doesn't match the three dimensional bust, hair samples and physical description?

What did he say about the police investigation into the kidnapping and murder of the infant Mangnoson and mentally of his father only two weeks before the Inquest and subsequent attacks and threats on his wife to keep quiet?

Two year old Clive was found in a sack in sand hills 20 km north of Somerton beach after someone dreamed where he was and led police to the location! His father Keith unconscious and suffering from exposure and sever mental suffering that left him in Mental Hospitals for most of his life. Thought to be connected to Keith recognising the identity of SM

In addition ... I have photos of members of the Ballet Russes troupe frolicking on Bungan Beach in the late thirties ... the men are wearing swimming costumes and shirts, which could explain why the Somerton Man was tanned to the crutch, if indeed he was prone to the same habit.
Quite possibly and I think the content of the suitcase found matched the implements mused to make ballet flats. I also think there is a ballet connection and he could have visited in 1939 with Ballet Russe. It's also a good cover vocation for spies with many different nationalities and travel of western countries involved.

The deeply tanned legs were unusual enough to be discussed in some detail and suggest with how long ago (a few months) they thought the "sunburn" occurred, that he was from the Northern Hemisphere.

Has anyone got a picture of Second Lieutenant US Army, Office of Strategic Services - Detachment 101, Harold Lincoln Berg, allegedly MIA in Burma during 1944, for comparison purposes?

It would be very interesting if a police using the latest technology produced a identikit using the 3D bust, real hair samples and physical description to produce an up to date image of what SM might have looked like. They could also produce a lifelike full body image as the physical description of the body is quite detailed.

Along with the dental records and unusual ear description, this could be compared with possible suspects or relatives may now come forward if it was distributed widely enough.

Sorry can't help with Harold Berg.

Didn't say in the Inquest they were found on the body. I'm trying to keep to the larger picture and certain there was a cover up. If you think the matches were part of that, fine.

What does he say about the police photo that doesn't match the three dimensional bust, hair samples and physical description?

What did he say about the police investigation into the kidnapping and murder of the infant Mangnoson and mentally of his father only two weeks before the Inquest and subsequent attacks and threats on his wife to keep quiet?

Two year old Clive was found in a sack in sand hills 20 km north of Somerton beach after someone dreamed where he was and led police to the location! His father Keith unconscious and suffering from exposure and sever mental suffering that left him in Mental Hospitals for most of his life. Thought to be connected to Keith recognising the identity of SM
DS Leane DID SAY in his deposition that matches were found on the body ... and to be clear, I’m not supporting the proposition of a police coverup.
And given I’ve asked you twice as to whether you have read Feltus, without a result, I’m beginning to wonder whether it’s worth my time to continue the discussion .... with respect.

It would be very interesting if a police using the latest technology produced a identikit using the 3D bust, real hair samples and physical description to produce an up to date image of what SM might have looked like. They could also produce a lifelike full body image as the physical description of the body is quite detailed.

Along with the dental records and unusual ear description, this could be compared with possible suspects or relatives may now come forward if it was distributed widely enough.

Sorry can't help with Harold Berg.
Harold Lincoln Berg might be too young to be SM by ~ 5 years, but he'd be a perfect candidate for OSS to create a false narrative around, give him a false identity and put him in deep cover. He has no known biological family, his adoptive parents were dead. His adoptive brother had already lost contact. He would've been taught foreign languages in his youth with his adoptive parents. He might've even picked up their accents and they probably were fluent in Russian, Finnish, Norse and Swede. He had some college. He previously worked in media and publishing, but in a small city where most people that knew him wouldn't run into him elsewhere.
He was "disappeared" in 1944, but by all accounts, he excelled within the OSS and had been promoted to 2nd Lt. And Burma a place where one could check up upon his MIA status. And his body has never been found.

Last edited:
Harold Lincoln Berg might be too young to be SM by ~ 5 years, but he'd be a perfect candidate for OSS to create a false narrative around, give him a false identity and put him in deep cover. He has no known biological family, his adoptive parents were dead. His adoptive brother had already lost contact. He would've been taught foreign languages in his youth with his adoptive parents. He might've even picked up their accents and they probably were fluent in Russian, Finnish, Norse and Swede. He had some college. He previously worked in media and publishing, but in a small city where most people that knew him wouldn't run into him elsewhere.
He was "disappeared" in 1944, but by all accounts, he excelled within the OSS and had been promoted to 2nd Lt. And Burma a place where one could check up upon his MIA status. And his body has never been found.

Stalin called back thousands of illegals (inserted agents) after WW2 ... many were imprisoned, tortured then killed - as matter of fact I'm reading an account of Olag Gordievsky's life as a double agent - he recounts how the KGB tortured one unfortunate by cremating him alive. A man could spend a lifetime trying to chase down the HB Bergs .... I don't think we will ever find out who the Somerton man was, I'm much more interested in the how why and when the case was abandoned by the South Australian police.

Because this (below) is what they had and to me, a rank armchair detective - it indicates an upper hand was in charge.

'Someone higher than the police.' Quote Kate Thomson.

A slip of paper was found on the body.
The slip of paper was matched with the book it was torn from.
The book it was torn from had a telephone number written on the back.
The telephone number unearthed a Person of Interest.
The PoI lived two hundred yards away from where the body was found.
The body appeared not to have died where it was found.
The PoI was interviewed at her home.
She was cooperative.
She was taken for another interview and to view the bust of the dead man,
where she was almost overcome,
.. and was no longer cooperative.
~~
This is the narrative that convinced the South Australian Police there was nothing further to pursue in regard to the Somerton Man case. (?)

Last edited:
Stalin called back thousands of illegals (inserted agents) after WW2 ... many were imprisoned, tortured then killed - as matter of fact I'm reading an account of Olag Gordievsky's life as a double agent - he recounts how the KGB tortured one unfortunate by cremating him alive. A man could spend a lifetime trying to chase down the HB Bergs .... I don't think we will ever find out who the Somerton man was, I'm much more interested in the how why and when the case was abandoned by the South Australian police.

Because this (below) is what they had and to me, a rank armchair detective - it indicates an upper hand was in charge.

'Someone higher than the police.' Quote Kate Thomson.

A slip of paper was found on the body.
The slip of paper was matched with the book it was torn from.
The book it was torn from had a telephone number written on the back.
The telephone number unearthed a Person of Interest.
The PoI lived two hundred yards away from where the body was found.
The body appeared not to have died where it was found.
The PoI was interviewed at her home.
She was cooperative.
She was taken for another interview and to view the bust of the dead man,
where she was almost overcome,
.. and was no longer cooperative.
~~
This is the narrative that convinced the South Australian Police there was nothing further to pursue in regard to the Somerton Man case. (?)

Doesn't make sense.
Even if there was an official reason to write it off, like a D Notice, it'd be noted that it was closed due to a D notice.

Doesn't make sense.
Even if there was an official reason to write it off, like a D Notice, it'd be noted that it was closed due to a D notice.

A D notice only restricts newspaper editors from publishing, it doesn’t stop a police investigation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think that the Rubyiat is itself, a cipher key, but could it be a membership pass?

There were thousands of Rubaiyats around at the time, every home had one.

Quite possibly and I think the content of the suitcase found matched the implements mused to make ballet flats. I also think there is a ballet connection and he could have visited in 1939 with Ballet Russe. It's also a good cover vocation for spies with many different nationalities and travel of western countries involved.

The deeply tanned legs were unusual enough to be discussed in some detail and suggest with how long ago (a few months) they thought the "sunburn" occurred, that he was from the Northern Hemisphere.
BlueE, do you think a ballet dancer, given the times and the known parsimony of their companies, might carry his own slipper last with his luggage ? He had just about everything else needed to build or repair one.

Everyone has a deck of cards, but a Lady showing the Queen of Spades apparently is a message to those who know what it means. Maybe the Rubyiat had a similar usage to a group of people that recognised it under certain circumstances as a message, or invitation?

Everyone has a deck of cards, but a Lady showing the Queen of Spades apparently is a message to those who know what it means. Maybe the Rubyiat had a similar usage to a group of people that recognised it under certain circumstances as a message, or invitation?

True words .. like a man showing Kensitas in an Army Club pack.

DS Leane DID SAY in his deposition that matches were found on the body ... and to be clear, I’m not supporting the proposition of a police coverup.
And given I’ve asked you twice as to whether you have read Feltus, without a result, I’m beginning to wonder whether it’s worth my time to continue the discussion .... with respect.
I did answer for the one post I've been able to so far that I preferred to find the original sources or first hand accounts where possible. I'd love to get a copy and read if I can.

Making cryptic comments about the matches or trousers is hard for me to figure out what your meaning is and I don't mean to disrespect you or your research.

Still not sure what your point is with the matches. They were there as reported by Leane but not reported by the first cop on the scene. Could easily be a mistake by him not adding it to his statement when Leane did. Not sure if you're saying they could have been added by Leane? They were likely British as the Melbourne match factory had closed down a year or two before. SM had a lighter in his suitcase.

The trousers he was wearing when found were brown and the double breasted suit described as brown and grey, although just looks brown as well. There are colour pictures on the Littlemore ABC documentary that I'll post. ABC does a drawing based on the clothes they saw that SM was found in, including the jumper he had on as well as the shiny shoes. While the suit coat was described as partially fitted for the person by a tailor and could have only been made in America, the trousers he was found in were standard Australian crusader cloth found in any shop.

I believe that someone higher up did know who SM's identity was and one of the biggest police failings was showing the photograph that looked nothing like the bust and gingery blonde hair of SM. It's interesting as well that ASIO was formed only months later in March 2019 and I believe according to the ABC doco that Det-Sgt Leane went to work for them soon after.

What was found on SM

Clothes he was wearing when discovered

Double breasted suit coat fabric

I did answer for the one post I've been able to so far that I preferred to find the original sources or first hand accounts where possible. I'd love to get a copy and read if I can.

Making cryptic comments about the matches or trousers is hard for me to figure out what your meaning is and I don't mean to disrespect you or your research.

Still not sure what your point is with the matches. They were there as reported by Leane but not reported by the first cop on the scene. Could easily be a mistake by him not adding it to his statement when Leane did. Not sure if you're saying they could have been added by Leane? They were likely British as the Melbourne match factory had closed down a year or two before. SM had a lighter in his suitcase.

The trousers he was wearing when found were brown and the double breasted suit described as brown and grey, although just looks brown as well. There are colour pictures on the Littlemore ABC documentary that I'll post. ABC does a drawing based on the clothes they saw that SM was found in, including the jumper he had on as well as the shiny shoes. While the suit coat was described as partially fitted for the person by a tailor and could have only been made in America, the trousers he was found in were standard Australian crusader cloth found in any shop.

I believe that someone higher up did know who SM's identity was and one of the biggest police failings was showing the photograph that looked nothing like the bust and gingery blonde hair of SM. It's interesting as well that ASIO was formed only months later in March 2019 and I believe according to the ABC doco that Det-Sgt Leane went to work for them soon after.

View attachment 732005
What was found on SM

View attachment 732006
Clothes he was wearing when discovered

View attachment 732007
Double breasted suit coat fabric
My point with the matches is that the evidence was contaminated, something Feltus alluded to in his book without being specific. And no disrespect taken ..

Not according the Adelaide Police interviewed by Stuart Littlemore. They had no idea what Tamam Shud meant until told by a journalist.

There is quite a bit of detail at the Inquest about finding an identical copy in an Adelaide bookshop, but not sure how when all three Rubyiats, Boxall's 7th Methuan edition when only 5 editions printed, SM's Whitcome and Tomes edition and George Marshall's may all be only copies.

BlueE, do you think a ballet dancer, given the times and the known parsimony of their companies, might carry his own slipper last with his luggage ? He had just about everything else needed to build or repair one.
Not sure. If it was 1939 and the Ballet was in Adelaide, I'd suspect Otis who was touring and appearing in publicity and social pages and one dance event with them. It was reported that the Ballet Russe were on a budget and it was common for dancers to make their new dancing slippers.

However in 1948, no one was touring and don't know if there would be a great need to practice. No need to make new dance slippers.

It's possible, but I wonder if this suitcase was left behind from 1939 with the implements that were being used then. Someone attached with Ballett Russe and spying then had come back so the suitcase was put in the train lockers to be found?

Most likely explanation is that the implements were used for something else, so I don't know.

Not sure. If it was 1939 and the Ballet was in Adelaide, I'd suspect Otis who was touring and appearing in publicity and social pages and one dance event with them. It was reported that the Ballet Russe were on a budget and it was common for dancers to make their new dancing slippers.

However in 1948, no one was touring and don't know if there would be a great need to practice. No need to make new dance slippers.

It's possible, but I wonder if this suitcase was left behind from 1939 with the implements that were being used then. Someone attached with Ballett Russe and spying then had come back so the suitcase was put in the train lockers to be found?

Most likely explanation is that the implements were used for something else, so I don't know.
Good on you bluey ... one day we'll get this sorted.

My point with the matches is that the evidence was contaminated, something Feltus alluded to in his book without being specific. And no disrespect taken ..
I agree but there is major evidence tampering if you think like me that the photograph was of a different person! I hadn't realised that Det-Sgt Leane got a promotion to ASIO (mentioned in the doco) so maybe a reward for keeping the pesky pubic off the scent?

Alf Boxall was very unhappy to have been mentioned by Jessica and having to explain how she gave him a copy of the Rubaiyat. Asked about verse 70 which was copied on the inside cover which was about redemption. Then angry when Littlemore started to ask him about being in Army Intelligence :oops:

SL. "Mr Boxall, you had been working in an Intelligence unit before you met her. Did you talk about that at all?"

AB. “No.”

SL."Was it not done to speak about those things?”

AB. "Well it was not done to speak about any army affairs."

SL. "So she couldn’t have known about your involvement with Army Intelligence?"

Long pause……

AB. "Not unless someone else told her!"

SL. "Because you see what I’m getting at. There is a theory isn’t there about this whole affair that the man on the beach was a spy … of some kind?"

AB. "Umm …It’s a … Cough …Quite a melodramatic thesis isn’t it?"

Good on you bluey ... one day we'll get this sorted.
Unlike you I think there is a very good chance he can be identified!:D

With new advances in DNA with Rachel Egan I think they can find the answer if they can be directed where to look.

I also think someone higher up does know and could someone perhaps apply to get any information the government or ASIO know about him released.

If it is true the government knows his identity but after 70 years if still keeping it secret, then it must be a big ass secret, possibly big enough to have brought down a government (I'm guessing USA) if known?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back