Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Gawn > Whitfield with my final trade

View attachment 729632

Hey mate, I see you're ranked like 443 in Supercoach, and while you have awesome depth in mid/fwd/ruck you seem to be missing some top scoring players and still don't have a full backline.

How'd you rank so high?

Was is just bye planning, have you traded out guys like Neale, Whitfield, Hurn, Williams etc.?

Just looking for some pointers on how to plan better as while I'm ranked in the 2000s and pretty happy about it, my bye rounds saw me score 1,300 one week!
But my teams is just about full of all the top scoring players and so I'm wondering if I shouldn't stress so much about getting in all the best players and just try to use the byes to my benefit.

Sherman41

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2006
Ballarat
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ve still got 2 trades will just trade to a 102,000 rookie and then upgrade someone to someone more expensive. Ha

Maybe Ziebell/billing toMarshall or josh Kennedy to josh Kelly.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey mate, I see you're ranked like 443 in Supercoach, and while you have awesome depth in mid/fwd/ruck you seem to be missing some top scoring players and still don't have a full backline.

How'd you rank so high?

Was is just bye planning, have you traded out guys like Neale, Whitfield, Hurn, Williams etc.?

Just looking for some pointers on how to plan better as while I'm ranked in the 2000s and pretty happy about it, my bye rounds saw me score 1,300 one week!
But my teams is just about full of all the top scoring players and so I'm wondering if I shouldn't stress so much about getting in all the best players and just try to use the byes to my benefit.

Did you know that I'm the reigning BF SC Bye Rounds Champion? :D Averaged 2027 over the 3 MBR's. :p

In all seriousness though, it's mostly due to the MPM strategy that I usually roll with for my starting team. The last 2 seasons I've also started with 330k in the bank which has helped with early upgrading and not having to burn early trades cashing out rookies too early to finance early upgrades.

I also look for value when upgrading and avoid paying top dollar for premo's who have already had their "hot streak". If you can nail your rookies, mid-pricers and under valued premo's with your starting team you should be comfortably sitting inside the top 1-2k pre-byes because you have less rookies on-field which is a good launchpad for when you do make your run during the byes. Less rookies is also beneficial during the MBR's as that's about the time they start hitting the rookie wall. I usually more than halve my ranking by the end of the MBRs. The part I haven't nailed yet is trading in the right players post-byes. Players that are at the BEGINNING of their hot streak, not players with the highest season average who've already had their hot streaks. Eg - Neale.

The other thing that isn't mentioned often is hanging on to a few bench rookies with the best JS. They don't have to be the best scoring rookies either, just ones that are in their sides best 22 and play every week. I kept Gibbons all year for that reason. Answerth is another. Ideally i would have kept Duursma as well. I haven't had any of Hurn, Whitfield, Neale, Bont this year. Traded out Williams early when he got injured. Only traded in Boak post byes. He's one I wish I'd started with. I also started Brayshaw over Sloane, so the system isn't completely idiot proof. I did hang on to a couple of my mid-pricers Brodie Smith & Brad Crouch all season. While not being SP's both have been solid role players for me.

I'm not saying my system is the best one, but it works for me and I'm more comfortable front running with a mostly MPM set up & making my run during the byes than the traditional GnR format where even though you end up with a gun team eventually, you're often too far back to make a serious run as most teams already have most of the same players post byes and making up ground can be tough.

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Did you know that I'm the reigning BF SC Bye Rounds Champion? :D Averaged 2027 over the 3 MBR's. :p

In all seriousness though, it's mostly due to the MPM strategy that I usually roll with for my starting team. The last 2 seasons I've also started with 330k in the bank which has helped with early upgrading and not having to burn early trades cashing out rookies too early to finance early upgrades.

I also look for value when upgrading and avoid paying top dollar for premo's who have already had their "hot streak". If you can nail your rookies, mid-pricers and under valued premo's with your starting team you should be comfortably sitting inside the top 1-2k pre-byes because you have less rookies on-field which is a good launchpad for when you do make your run during the byes. Less rookies is also beneficial during the MBR's as that's about the time they start hitting the rookie wall. I usually more than halve my ranking by the end of the MBRs. The part I haven't nailed yet is trading in the right players post-byes. Players that are at the BEGINNING of their hot streak, not players with the highest season average who've already had their hot streaks. Eg - Neale.

The other thing that isn't mentioned often is hanging on to a few bench rookies with the best JS. They don't have to be the best scoring rookies either, just ones that are in their sides best 22 and play every week. I kept Gibbons all year for that reason. Answerth is another. Ideally i would have kept Duursma as well. I haven't had any of Hurn, Whitfield, Neale, Bont this year. Traded out Williams early when he got injured. Only traded in Boak post byes. He's one I wish I'd started with. I also started Brayshaw over Sloane, so the system isn't completely idiot proof. I did hang on to a couple of my mid-pricers Brodie Smith & Brad Crouch all season. While not being SP's both have been solid role players for me.

I'm not saying my system is the best one, but it works for me and I'm more comfortable front running with a mostly MPM set up & making my run during the byes than the traditional GnR format where even though you end up with a gun team eventually, you're often too far back to make a serious run as most teams already have most of the same players post byes and making up ground can be tough.
Thanks mate, very interesting to see a MPM strategy work out so well.

As I only really care about League I always go GnR as I want to be scoring 2,500 minimum over the finals and just hope that I score enough throughout the year to make the top 8.
So far so good this year, as a bonus my team has actually gone pretty well overall too.
I think the fact that this year hasn't seen a lot of injuries has helped, as I'm not forced to play too many rookies each week.

I'm always tempted to try a MPM team, as it would increase my chances of making finals in my league, but might see me lose in finals.

shaunfern

Rookie
Apr 6, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
My match up & team below.

The safe route would just be to downgrade a rookie & bring in Kelly for Sloane.

Thinking about Martin also. Any other suggestions

Attachments

• 029B3B41-7E57-44BB-A641-1ABD22D3AA3F.png
    029B3B41-7E57-44BB-A641-1ABD22D3AA3F.png
    420.9 KB · Views: 123
  • D2E6C394-32F4-4F1C-80B7-27B6E69B3155.png
    D2E6C394-32F4-4F1C-80B7-27B6E69B3155.png
    889.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 5B8FE870-F559-4486-830A-7982585DA5AD.png
    5B8FE870-F559-4486-830A-7982585DA5AD.png
    709.2 KB · Views: 105

Phoenix_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Really don't know what to do with my last trade anymore...
Sloane is probably the player in the worst form, but he's not worth enough to be able to trade him to anyone guaranteed to score significantly better.
Might just hold it for a late out... and if there's no late outs, I might just hold it.

I can add it to next year's 30, right guys? :p

DGroover

Senior List
Jan 31, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ok so no carnage and 1 trade left, Robbie grays current scoring worries me, anyone the same price or cheaper I should get in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 730875View attachment 730876

Gawn>Goldy the obvious one if he’s out.

Any ideas if he plays?

I've got 2 pods compared to your side (Bont and Trelor vs your Merrett and JPK). What's your rank?
Maybe Sloane to a more in-form mid? It's tough at this stage with form and players matchup being more important, also with the risk the player you trade out scoring more than the one you bring in, good luck!

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
Ok so no carnage and 1 trade left, Robbie grays current scoring worries me, anyone the same price or cheaper I should get in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad has had some nice form since returning although against WCE is a slight worry. Playing plenty of mid time though, so will have his chance to put together a decent score!

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've got 2 pods compared to your side (Bont and Trelor vs your Merrett and JPK). What's your rank?
Maybe Sloane to a more in-form mid? It's tough at this stage with form and players matchup being more important, also with the risk the player you trade out scoring more than the one you bring in, good luck!
Amazing to think we’re so close. I’m around 2700 at the moment after peaking at 970 in round 10.

What about yourself?

GRUFFY

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
DRINKING CLUB OF AUSTRALIA MATE
Two trades $32,600 cash and in two grand finals.

Options for outs
1. Sloane and Brewley
2. Laird and Brewley
3. Neale and Brewley
4. Chol and Brewley

Questions who goes out and how comes in?
Is Brewley related to Drunkley ?

big_bazza

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2005
Tas
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
sydney swans
Well somethings are meant to be and it looks like SmugKentGreene being out means that all the stars have aligned to bring the big Bud in, could go absolutely massive in a game that means nothing apart from farewelling a few club greats and the big mans milestone. Id imagine all swans players will be looking to give Bud the ball as much as they can, much like Roughy for the hawks last week.

Until Greene was out the plan for my last trade was to get rid of Sheed or Rocky for any mid i wanted, was looking like J.Lyons as a juicy pod, or i could go the sensible but un sexy option of bringing in Marshall for Greene.

Good luck to those lucky enough to be in the big dance this week, i made my main GF but got knocked out of the tragics 2 last week :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back