Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Got an email from TPG (my current adsl provider) today telling me nbn is nearly here (mid-November is the plan).

Who here already has nbn? Any horror stories? I’ve heard not great stuff from around the traps. Streaming is crucial to me...

Got mine installed last week. Ours is Fibre to the Curb (FTTC), which the technician said is the newest and most stable NBN connection. It’s been good so far, I wouldn’t say I’ve noticed a faster speed during the day, than when I was on Optus Cable, but they do say there’s no speed decrease during the evening on the NBN and that is what it’s more about.

The only real “horror” story is we assumed we assumed it was our choice where it all goes but ours was connected on a street facing wall in one of the main bedrooms. So we have the NBN box, Optus router connected to it and the main landline telephone connected to it too as that has to go on the NBN box (our bundle is broadband and phone).

Our NBN tech said the Optus technician (there will be two techs doing the work on seperate days) could come and move the NBN box elsewhere but that’s not the case at all. In fact not even NBN will be willing to come back and move the box to a more suitable location and you couldn’t do it yourself either. So prepare yourself that the connection could go in an unsuitable location.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
We had one of the worst areas in Perth for internet but we got NBN a few months ago and it’s been a god send. Roughly 40mbps which is amazing considering we were only getting 1/2.
Only issue I find is that it drops out every now and then. Not sure if that’s Telstra doing maintenance or not though.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Got an email from TPG (my current adsl provider) today telling me nbn is nearly here (mid-November is the plan).

Who here already has nbn? Any horror stories? I’ve heard not great stuff from around the traps. Streaming is crucial to me...
Had it at mum and dad's with Optus.

Old suburb, but it ran very well.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
In Darwin mate, enjoying the beautiful weather and time with family.

Have genuinely thought about moving there chef, at least for the winter months. The cold weather here in Melbourne really gets me.

Have a few friends who have relocated there, and sometimes on Friday evenings they fly to Bali for the weekend (1 hour 20 flight apparently). Amazing.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Have genuinely thought about moving there chef, at least for the winter months. The cold weather here in Melbourne really gets me.

Have a few friends who have relocated there, and sometimes on Friday evenings they fly to Bali for the weekend (1 hour 20 flight apparently). Amazing.
I'd do a wet season up here before deciding to move, they are disgusting. You live in your sweat and nothing dries.

My daughters living up here atm, so we come up pretty regularly. Its a very relaxed place, really just a big old country town.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
I'd do a wet season up here before deciding to move, they are disgusting. You live in your sweat and nothing dries.

My daughters living up here atm, so we come up pretty regularly. Its a very relaxed place, really just a big old country town.

Shenanigans on Mitchell Street...where the floor is sticky one step, and slippery the next...

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know this might sound a bit of a weird thing to ask, but it’s always bothered me, but how do you cope with all those spiders and snakes down there? I have a real hatred of big spiders, and I’ve just had to deal with one of the campaigners five minutes ago. Of course a big spider here is nothing compared to the *ers you get. I know it sounds pussified and totally irrational, probably should see a shrink

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I know this might sound a bit of a weird thing to ask, but it’s always bothered me, but how do you cope with all those spiders and snakes down there? I have a real hatred of big spiders, and I’ve just had to deal with one of the campaigners five minutes ago. Of course a big spider here is nothing compared to the f***ers you get. I know it sounds pussified and totally irrational, probably should see a shrink

You know, they don’t actually walk down suburban streets with people? :p

I have never seen a snake in my life. I once saw a massive spider in my house one night, next second the damn thing crawled back into an air vent never to be seen again. I have seen some smaller spiders but that’s like any house.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I know this might sound a bit of a weird thing to ask, but it’s always bothered me, but how do you cope with all those spiders and snakes down there? I have a real hatred of big spiders, and I’ve just had to deal with one of the campaigners five minutes ago. Of course a big spider here is nothing compared to the f***ers you get. I know it sounds pussified and totally irrational, probably should see a shrink
You can kill the spiders easily, and you don't really see snakes in the city.

When I was a kid we used to trap snakes with a forked stick and pick them up by the tail. No reason why, just something to do.

Didn't really matter what type of snake it was, we didn't have a clue if they were safe or not.

Wouldn't dream of doing it now.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees

Looks good, didn’t even know they had finished filming let alone having the film almost ready. I don’t have Netflix but this will be a reason to get it.

I think this is one of those myths about Australia that is perpetuated elsewhere. In the major cities, this is hardly a problem. Of course regional areas and the outback, different story.

But personally I’ve never encountered a snake here. In fact I’ve seen more snakes in India than anywhere else, sometimes cobras when stepping off a train to stretch your legs. Supposedly we’re told to stay perfectly still if you see one, I gotta say though I’ve never run so fast in my life. Would’ve given Carl Lewis a run for his money :D

As for spiders, aside from the odd huntsman here and there, it’s not a big issue. The daddy long legs do their thing and take care of the other flies/bugs etc. I don’t kill them, they’re pretty harmless and just going about their business. Some large spiders I struggle with, I find a way to trap them in a container or something and let them outside.

I will say though; the scariest part about spiders is when you see a huge one. And then come back to the room later and it’s no longer there.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
We get Tiger and King Brown snakes where i live. Have killed a few in my time being a farm/country boy, a shovel does the trick(last one was in my pool). My brother nearly died getting bit when he was 6.

Red back and white tail spiders are common too, happy to kill them but huntsman and daddy long legs get caught and released.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm

Just leave them be. Hardly a real issue in built up areas. Kangaroos stopping traffic on the other hand...

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
I do some work in disability and there was a gentleman who one night, had been blind drunk and passed out in a park. He got bitten by a snake and it poisoned him whilst he was sleeping. He obviously can’t function like he used to and needs support now but I remember thinking that ill make sure I never sleep in a park!

Last edited:
I came within about 2 ft of standing on a brown snake.

Thankfully it hissed and my mate and I bolted away as fast we could screaming like little girls.

I grew up in Ararat in Victoria, walking home from school one day on the dirt track off the road I decided to walk on the grass. Nearly stepped on one having a snooze in the sun, managed to do a jump over & absolutely legged it home.

Being a ******* idiot, I went back there about 10 minutes later & whilst it would have crawled off into the bush, there was a nice 30cm or so round spot on the grass that was a different shade so it was baking there for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back