Recommitted Stephen Coniglio [re-signs with GWS for 7 more years]

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lots of ifs maybes with no actual comment from the AFL except to say they are willing to talk about an Ambassador role even if he stays at the Hawks.

And AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said this week the league would be willing to "sit down and talk'' to Franklin about an ambassadorial role even if he stayed with the Hawks.
Yeah right. And no role happened hey.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
So how do contracts actually work in the AFL in regards to end dates? Is Cogniglio out of contract from the moment his last game is over or do contracts have a universal end date?

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Considering the deal he got at the Swans there was no need.

Interesting in that 2nd article Eddie is blowing up over ambassador roles when Pendles, as late as mid last year, was on the biggest payment.
No “need” to appear to give him money based on being an ambassador because he had enough money?

I think your use of the word “need” is clear demonstration of my point - the money was tied to him making a club decision and the proposed ambassador payment was a rouse

The tokenistic afterthought “aw we would if he stayed at Hawthorn too” was very cynical

Do you honestly think the AFL would have given money to get Buddy to stay at Hawthorn and not grow the game in Sydney

C’mon mate

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
No “need” to appear to give him money based on being an ambassador because he had enough money?

I think your use of the word “need” is clear demonstration of my point - the money was tied to him making a club decision and the proposed ambassador payment was a rouse

The tokenistic afterthought “aw we would if he stayed at Hawthorn too” was very cynical

Do you honestly think the AFL would have given money to get Buddy to stay at Hawthorn and not grow the game in Sydney

C’mon mate
Why not? Biggest ambassador role in the AFL is Pendles in Vic.

So you only have tinfoil hat theories?

They def didn't want him at the Swans after their last trade effort. So could see that as them being pissed that he didn't go to the Giants or stay a Hawk.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why not? Biggest ambassador role in the AFL is Pendles in Vic.

So you only have tinfoil hat theories?

They def didn't want him at the Swans after their last trade effort. So could see that as them being pi**ed that he didn't go to the Giants or stay a Hawk.
They were mega pissed he didn’t go to the Giants. Christ - it was start up club and they wanted a star like Gary to GC. No bigger name than Buddy.

How is this even slightly tin foil hat? Where were you when this was happening? In a cave?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
They were mega pi**ed he didn’t go to the Giants. Christ - it was start up club and they wanted a star like Gary to GC. No bigger name than Buddy.

How is this even slightly tin foil hat? Where were you when this was happening? In a cave?
As i said I have no doubt they wanted him at the Giants over the Swans

I also have no doubt there would of been no issue had he stayed at the Hawks.

The problem was Swans came in and slammed both.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As i said I have no doubt they wanted him at the Giants over the Swans

I also have no doubt there would of been no issue had he stayed at the Hawks.

The problem was Swans came in and slammed both.
Not so sure I agree. Swans above Hawthorn helps the game for them way more. Anyway. We agree to disagree :)

I also think the game needs to be grown in the South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Cogs ambassador role?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Not so sure I agree. Swans above Hawthorn helps the game for them way more. Anyway. We agree to disagree :)

I also think the game needs to be grown in the South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Cogs ambassador role?
Haha I'm sure they would discuss it after he signed.

I've said elsewhere I'm all for us getting some helping hand considering the 3rd party opportunities available to players and clubs in traditional heartlands.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Haha I'm sure they would discuss it after he signed.

I've said elsewhere I'm all for us getting some helping hand considering the 3rd party opportunities available to players and clubs in traditional heartlands.

Actually laughed out loud at this, you still think you should be given a helping hand?

You have featured in finals the last few years.

When will it be enough exactly? How many flags do you think you deserve before teams are treated somewhat the same.

Integrity is the last concern of Gil and the AFL.

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
I lived in Sydney for multiple years and it’s a dive, you have a pocket of nice areas to live and that’s it.

People also doubting the most successful club of the last 50 years (by some stretch), with the goat and Wrighty is quite inept. Whether we get Cogs or not, we are a few players away from competing again and that’s all that matters.

FWIW - we caught the rabbit 18 months ago, it’s going to be delicious to see the Carlton ITK’s scurrying.

Couldn't agree with you more re: Sydney living. The nice areas can be very nice, but mixed in with them is some absolutely delapidated shite.

Their transport infrastructure outside of the main centres is mostly just buses, so non-existent. And then all of the surrounding suburbs are terrible as well.

Take a walk between Bondi and Coogee and you'll see some stunning properties along the water. Step one block away from the water and it's a cluster* of heavily outdated apartment blocks.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Couldn't agree with you more re: Sydney living. The nice areas can be very nice, but mixed in with them is some absolutely delapidated s**t.

Their transport infrastructure outside of the main centres is mostly just buses, so non-existent. And then all of the surrounding suburbs are terrible as well.

Take a walk between Bondi and Coogee and you'll see some stunning properties along the water. Step one block away from the water and it's a clusterfu** of heavily outdated apartment blocks.
Buses can be good (the express ones).

But word is Cogs is more a tram person

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Actually laughed out loud at this, you still think you should be given a helping hand?

You have featured in finals the last few years.

When will it be enough exactly? How many flags do you think you deserve before teams are treated somewhat the same.

Integrity is the last concern of Gil and the AFL.

I'm sure you did. Because you forget the inherent financial benefits associated with being based in Melbourne compared to other regions.

Only advantages allowed are for the Victorians yeah?

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Hypothetically, if Coniglio nominates Hawthorn and then the Giants match the bid - would Hawthorn not have shot themselves in the foot by taking on Patton as a salary cap dump, given that would likely be the reason GWS can match in the first place?
I'm not exactly sure how this works so anyone who does feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but free agency opens a week before the trade period and Patton is contracted for next year, so he will still be on the Giants books as of free agency opening.

I assume that the Giants would have to have the ability to match a bid with his salary included.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I'm not exactly sure how this works so anyone who does feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but free agency opens a week before the trade period and Patton is contracted for next year, so he will still be on the Giants books as of free agency opening.

I assume that the Giants would have to have the ability to match a bid with his salary included.
I think you are right here.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Right. Like everyone else I have no idea of how the Giants salary cap looks but assume it's tight if they're offloading Patton for that reason.

I'm thinking if an agreement has already been struck for Patton with the trade simply being a formality, GWS can commit to matching a contract for Coniglio knowing they'll have the cap space opened up as soon as the trade goes through.

I could be wrong but I don't think it would matter whether they have the cap space at the time of the bid being matched, provided they get it under by the time the final lists are lodged/payments are made.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I could be wrong but I don't think it would matter whether they have the cap space at the time of the bid being matched, provided they get it under by the time the final lists are lodged.

Definitely would need clarification from the AFL on this one
Big difference depending on what "date" they would use for the cap.

Hell did anyone know the matching rules until it was posted a couple of days ago regarding the total amount rather than year by year?

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Right. Like everyone else I have no idea of how the Giants salary cap looks but assume it's tight if they're offloading Patton for that reason.

I'm thinking if an agreement has already been struck for Patton with the trade simply being a formality, GWS can commit to matching a contract for Coniglio knowing they'll have the space once trade week starts.

I could be wrong but I don't think it would matter whether they have the cap space at the time of the bid being matched, provided they get it under by the time the final lists are lodged.
I don't think they are so much trading Patton because of necessity. I jsut think it is smart list managment to move on a guy coming off his 3rd knee reco who ways over 100kg when you have a very talented list that you need to keep together. I doubt they want to lose Patton but if it is him or Cameron, Patton or himmelberg i know who i would be picking.

You could be right on the matching part but theoretically couldn't most clubs just match all offers in free agency? It is almost never to try and get a player to stay and just about getting the best compensation. It would seem like a massively flawed system but it is the AFL so i wouldn't be surprised.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Definitely would need clarification from the AFL on this one
Big difference depending on what "date" they would use for the cap.

Hell did anyone know the matching rules until it was posted a couple of days ago regarding the total amount rather than year by year?
I've always thought that clubs can do what they like when signing individual contracts, but if they overcommit then they take on the risk that if they can't re-adjust the books (by making trades or re-negotiating salaries) they might not be able to squeeze themselves under the cap. Penalties for going over the cap would surely be based only on actual payments, not what could happen into the future.

Anyway, it's purely a hypothetical without knowing the details of the Giants cap or the Patton deal.

Back