List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that has been consistent is our injuries every year, I wish that got some people sacked too.

It's not just the injuries. It is the fade-outs in the last couple of months of the season as well. The S&C guys have to have part of the blam for that.

The only players that seem to be happy about Ross leaving are the slackers i.e. Kersten . The ones that give great effort are not so pleased. TBH he is more popular with the players than i was led to believe by the Hardies and Hagdorns of this world.

I like Lyon

He was Sacked because his performance is incosistent.

Of course the wins have relevance buts that's all you mention, when in reality your only as good as the difference between your best and worst.

Such is the nature of a young list. If we were consistent with the standard Lyon has shown our side being capable to be against the strong sides, we would be in the top four right now challenging for a flag. Is that really in-line with your expectations you had with the profile of our list and the injuries we had?

I really do wonder if those on this board supportive of the decision are genuine when they also say they will be patient with the new coach. There's a significant discrepancy between the expectations of a young rebuilding team and the given reality of a young rebuilding team.

Last edited:
Why is there a secret society pulling the strings at the club? As much as I agree with Lyon's sacking it bothers me that the Harbour Masters are acting like the Illuminati.
Are we?! *en hell, you miss one cash bar sundowner... :huh:

giphy.gif

We don’t actually know why Lyon was sacked.

Well that’s not quite true: we know he was sacked because the Board had decided he wouldn’t coach beyond 2020 and so decided not to waste next year on a lame duck coach.

But we don’t know why the Board thought he wouldn’t coach beyond 2020.

As fans we care about game performance and so we tend to think it is due to what we see on the field. But perhaps that was only a part (a minor part?) of the decision.

to be honest, i think we slashed and burned too early. what they should have done was focus on getting the S and C right first, bringing in whichever assistant they’re hoping to take the reigns to work under Ross next year, then plan for a smooth transition in 2021, irrespective of results. that wouldn’t have been “treading water” as if we were winning the pressure will ease a little and the bandwagoners would come back. (See early this year.)

i think the board is being disingenuous by saying the members “deserve more” and that we are bleeding members because our results are mediocre when there is every chance that things will get worse before they get better now on-field. As it is, they have made it more difficult from the get-go for the new coach to win over the playing group leaders who have been sold the same plan and had full faith in it.

I do feel that there’s a ring of truth to what is being said about the club wanting to sack Ross now because it would even be harder to sack him in a winning year. Even then, if we were short of a flag which was promised at the beginning of his renewal, they could have justified not renewing his contract and still keeping on with a switch to another coach. Ross was aware that it was unlikely that the board would renew him after next year, but I suspect probably would have given it his all to get a good result on-field for us next year, if only for pride and for the players.

i suspect the fact that there has been so much movement across the AFL in terms of senior coaches has forced their hand a little bit, as perhaps they were worried that they would miss the boat on finding a suitable replacement.

agree 100%.

I feel like the board wanted to get rid of Ross because they were worried he would smash it next year.

Peter "white ant" Bell obviously deeply involved in this kind of political play which had nothing to do with football and everything to do with power.

Gerard Whatley on SEN said on commentary that it had an air of the board “taking its club back” and that it “did not want to be Ross Lyon’s Fremantle anymore.”

I’m confused because while I do understand that it’s not right to have one man holding that much sway and power, at the moment we seem to be putting the future and direction of the club into Bell’s hands.

We don’t actually know why Lyon was sacked.

Well that’s not quite true: we know he was sacked because the Board had decided he wouldn’t coach beyond 2020 and so decided not to waste next year on a lame duck coach.

But we don’t know why the Board thought he wouldn’t coach beyond 2020.

As fans we care about game performance and so we tend to think it is due to what we see on the field. But perhaps that was only a part (a minor part?) of the decision.

This.

Ultimately the board didn't want him to be the head coach of the football club beyond 2020 for a multitude of reasons, but once a board comes to that decision there is only one thing to do. IMO it should come down to "Do we believe this person is going to deliver the highest success possible?" That answer can be yes or no regardless of finals/lack of. There are currently a couple of clubs inside the top 8 that should be asking the same.

Finals, it really isn't that much of an achievement to make.

Interesting stats from an AFL.com article by Travis King. Not sure if already posted and discussed but it does highlight exactly what many are saying is the issue. It is somewhat alarming to think players skills drop off when coming to Dockers. Of course, this may happen at other clubs too but it does highlight the issue at the Dockers and unless the skills improve it will be hit and miss when we win and lose.

Some of the excerpts.

"Lyon's outfit could get the ball forward (ranked sixth for inside 50s) but currently sits bottom three for scoring for the fourth year in a row.
Some of the foot skills have been appalling, and it's no shock Fremantle is 18th for kicking efficiency this season.
The club is also 17th for kick rating – the expectation of a kick graded against the outcome – and has the second-worst shot at goal accuracy.

"Across the competition, there are 606 players who have had at least 10 kicks this season, including 35 Dockers.
How many would you expect rank in the top 100 for kick rating?
There is only one.
Who?
Stephen Hill, coming in at 70th overall (+4.9%) from just 16 kicks in three games. "

"Hill's younger brother Bradley would be a deserving All Australian this year, and is generally regarded as an elite ball user.
But his kicking has gone backwards since crossing from Hawthorn.
After peaking at 70.9% kick efficiency four years ago, Hill is down to 59.6% this year. "

"Ex-Giants superboot Nathan Wilson carried a toe injury but his efficiency this season is the worst in his career, dipping below 70 per cent for the first time.
Ed Langdon, who appears set to leave and might be joined out the exit by the Hill brothers, is an excellent character and hard worker.
But he has one major flaw in his game – turning the ball over by foot."

"West Coast's clinical efficiency brutally exposes the Dockers' shortcomings.
Any observer who has watched both teams train would notice how the reigning premiers practise skill while Lyon preached structure.
The Eagles drill ball movement repetitively, picking through zone defences by hand and foot, finding targets in a crowded forward line and exiting defence."

DOCKER SHOCKERS
Kick efficiency
- 18th (60.8%)
Kick rating - 17th (-2.9%)
Shot at goal accuracy - 17th (43.5%)
Scores per inside 50 - 16th (39.7%)
Ball retention per kick inside 50 – 10th (46.4%)

Falling memberships are inevitable for the Fremantle football club at the new stadium. Anyone can just buy a ticket on the day and rock up. That can’t happen for the mob down the road.
In the early days of the Eagles, memberships were low until the WACA capacity was finally filled. Then it skyrocketed. Same with Freo at Subiaco.
When it becomes difficult to buy a cheap ticket in the bleachers, then sit wherever you want, only then will memberships rise again.
Blaming Lyon for the membership drop off was ingenuous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True that but if they don't appoint what Fyfe considers to be the right person from his demeanor he was warning the club he would be even more unhappy.
I wouldn't remotely blame him for wanting to jump ship if the clubs direction wasn't satisfactory to him. He only gets 1 go at it and that go only has 4-5 years left.

True that but if they don't appoint what Fyfe considers to be the right person from his demeanor he was warning the club he would be even more unhappy.

Shocked, captain wants the club to make the right choice on new coach. He was never going to be happy about the decision which is why he wasn't consulted. Knowing how professional he is he will get around the new coach the second he walks in the door.

Interesting stats from an AFL.com article by Travis King. Not sure if already posted and discussed but it does highlight exactly what many are saying is the issue. It is somewhat alarming to think players skills drop off when coming to Dockers. Of course, this may happen at other clubs too but it does highlight the issue at the Dockers and unless the skills improve it will be hit and miss when we win and lose.

Some of the excerpts.

"Lyon's outfit could get the ball forward (ranked sixth for inside 50s) but currently sits bottom three for scoring for the fourth year in a row.
Some of the foot skills have been appalling, and it's no shock Fremantle is 18th for kicking efficiency this season.
The club is also 17th for kick rating – the expectation of a kick graded against the outcome – and has the second-worst shot at goal accuracy.

"Across the competition, there are 606 players who have had at least 10 kicks this season, including 35 Dockers.
How many would you expect rank in the top 100 for kick rating?
There is only one.
Who?
Stephen Hill, coming in at 70th overall (+4.9%) from just 16 kicks in three games. "

"Hill's younger brother Bradley would be a deserving All Australian this year, and is generally regarded as an elite ball user.
But his kicking has gone backwards since crossing from Hawthorn.
After peaking at 70.9% kick efficiency four years ago, Hill is down to 59.6% this year. "

"Ex-Giants superboot Nathan Wilson carried a toe injury but his efficiency this season is the worst in his career, dipping below 70 per cent for the first time.
Ed Langdon, who appears set to leave and might be joined out the exit by the Hill brothers, is an excellent character and hard worker.
But he has one major flaw in his game – turning the ball over by foot."

"West Coast's clinical efficiency brutally exposes the Dockers' shortcomings.
Any observer who has watched both teams train would notice how the reigning premiers practise skill while Lyon preached structure.
The Eagles drill ball movement repetitively, picking through zone defences by hand and foot, finding targets in a crowded forward line and exiting defence."

DOCKER SHOCKERS
Kick efficiency
- 18th (60.8%)
Kick rating - 17th (-2.9%)
Shot at goal accuracy - 17th (43.5%)
Scores per inside 50 - 16th (39.7%)
Ball retention per kick inside 50 – 10th (46.4%)

those numbers are putrid

Back