Review GC v GWS. It's finally over. - Rd 23

Remove this Banner Ad

What would it have achieved mate ?.
This years has been a complete disaster just imagine if it ended with Rankine doing an ACL.

Not playing him is probably the only thing our club has got right this year IMO
How about a little bit of hope and excitement for the members. Because we have got sweet FA of it this year.

How about a little bit of hope and excitement for the members. Because we have got sweet FA of it this year.
Most have checked out for the year mate.
Let him debut next year alongside Rowell and Anderson and light up Metricon and watch the people rush back through the turnstiles

Would've been good to let Rankine get a taste of AFL football for no better reason than to let him know what it's like, so he knows exactly what he's aspiring to over pre-season.

There seems like a weird disconnect with the match committee, honestly. I get the impression that not even Dew has much of a say on what the match committee decides.

Young Jaeger O'Meara will testify that the NEAFL is not necessarily a safer option to run around in.
I'm of the belief that "Audi" had a genetic knee condition before he ever got to us. Someone correct me if I'm off on that.

I think there's a bit of revisionist history going on because if I wanted to go back to the first 5 rounds and see how up and about this board was for the future and how stoked we all were to defy the "worst list in afl history" and "won't win a game all year" tags by round 2 it might halt some of the knee-jerk.

Time is going to heal all wounds, We'll get him 100% cherry in the pre-season and coupled with the new draftees and whoever else we bring on will stoke the fire for Round 1 2020.

No one will remember this game by Christmas (Unless Bods' prophecy comes true in which case we'll be singing well into the new year)

We've got a special kid here, Let's not blow our load at the first opportunity, The wait will be worth it.

Believe in Dewidisim.

Rankine played 2 NEAFL games in 6 months. No way he's ready for AFL. Reason prevailed over emotion. I am just happy to see him play and don't really care if it's 2 hours earlier. I will watch NEAFL game with interest, for me there are plenty of players to follow - Rankine, Corbett, Wright, Ace, Davies, Budarick, Fletcher, Joyce brothers, GWS O'Halloran, Bonnar, Hately, Caldwell.

Last edited:
It's odd, I'm not sure why they'd even float it as a possibility in the media unless they were sure. It's a small thing I guess, but it's deflating.

I can't imagine why he's not listed as a token emergency either. GHS doesn't offer more.
Not surprised at all. The people running this club have no understanding or empathy with supporters who have stuck around and stayed loyal for a shocking season overall. Not only would it have provided a ray of sunshine and hope, even expectation as to what this kid could deliver - it also adds to the ceremony around Rischa's retirement and celebration. Out goes the old and in comes the new sort of thing. I'll still be there but have no confidence in the club to get things right. I'll even go to the NEAFL where I hope to see a good match and watch Rankine and the other boys do their thing. Above all else, supporters need to show up in numbers and farewell one of our most loyal and probably a few others yet to be named.

This years has been a complete disaster just imagine if it ended with Rankine doing an ACL.

Let him run out next year with Rowell and Anderson next to him making their debuts
If nothing else (forget the fans) it would have been a great show of thanks for his early extension and commitment to the club, unlike two others I could name!

Obviously two opposite views on playing Rankine.

I have a question to people wanting Rankine to play just for a bit of fun.
I bet Dew would love to have Rankine playing but it is reasonable to assume that it came down to performance/medical teams recommendation who again I assume know Rankine's body the best. If they say he is not ready for AFL game and you are in Dew/Haines/Evans position would you override their recommendation to please fans?

If anything the decision indicates that the club is in good shape, with procedures in place and does not make emotional, shortsighted decisions. But that's just me.

What by mismanaging another young player and potential shortening his career by playing him when he’s very clearly not ready ?
I'll see if he's ready when I watch him in NEAFL tomorrow, where he is just as likely (if not more so) to get injured. I'd love to hear whether he was keen to play?

Obviously two opposite views on playing Rankine.

I have a question to people wanting Rankine to play just for a bit of fun.
I bet Dew would love to have Rankine playing but it is reasonable to assume that it came down to performance/medical teams recommendation who again I assume know Rankine's body the best. If they say he is not ready for AFL game and you are in Dew/Haines/Evans position would you override their recommendation to please fans?

If anything the decision indicates that the club is in good shape, with procedures in place and does not make emotional, shortsighted decisions. But that's just me.
We are merely supporters. The club obviously has final say in these matters. I don't have to agree with everything they do though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll see if he's ready when I watch him in NEAFL tomorrow, where he is just as likely (if not more so) to get injured. I'd love to hear whether he was keen to play?
Yes, he wanted to play. It was mentioned here. I believe somebody talked to him.

Not surprised at all. The people running this club have no understanding or empathy with supporters who have stuck around and stayed loyal for a shocking season overall. Not only would it have provided a ray of sunshine and hope, even expectation as to what this kid could deliver - it also adds to the ceremony around Rischa's retirement and celebration. Out goes the old and in comes the new sort of thing. I'll still be there but have no confidence in the club to get things right. I'll even go to the NEAFL where I hope to see a good match and watch Rankine and the other boys do their thing. Above all else, supporters need to show up in numbers and farewell one of our most loyal and probably a few others yet to be named.
To be honest I don't think 'giving supporters sunshine and hope' should even be on the list of things a professional sports team considers.

He's a kid thats played two games in a whole season, only one of which was in the last month. what does promoting him say to the other guys on the fringe. your Youngs/GHS/Scheer etc. - its cool guys don't worry about playing NEAFL to demonstrate your form just hire a PR person. maybe do some extra media so that the club will be forced to play you to give the supporters hope. Seems like a good way to torpedo all that culture we've been working on to me.

a professional sports club should in my opinion put the best team it can field on the ground every single week. the young upcomers will get into the side when they can displace someone through performance. not draft pick number.

Given how much GWS will dominate us in the 1s I doubt Rankine would have seen much of it just sitting in the forward pocket. He missed big chunks of time last week in the 2s so would have blown up pretty quick this week.

Match committee isn't just Dew. It's medical team, some senior players might get input etc. I can understand the call to not play him.

It’s easily the right call not to play him, he has played 2 NEAFL matches on limited minutes this year, as well as the pre season games. Does not have the runs in his legs to step up and play AFL against a good team. Let him play NEAFL, hopefully play well then set him up for a big offseason. Then he can roll in Rnd 1 next year and rip games apart. He is the absolute best talent we have on our list and if we ruin him early I’d be filthy at the club forever. He has resigned and seems to be in with us for the long haul. Let’s give him time

I'm of the belief that "Audi" had a genetic knee condition before he ever got to us. Someone correct me if I'm off on that.

I think there's a bit of revisionist history going on because if I wanted to go back to the first 5 rounds and see how up and about this board was for the future and how stoked we all were to defy the "worst list in afl history" and "won't win a game all year" tags by round 2 it might halt some of the knee-jerk.

Time is going to heal all wounds, We'll get him 100% cherry in the pre-season and coupled with the new draftees and whoever else we bring on will stoke the fire for Round 1 2020.

No one will remember this game by Christmas (Unless Bods' prophecy comes true in which case we'll be singing well into the new year)

We've got a special kid here, Let's not blow our load at the first opportunity, The wait will be worth it.

Believe in Dewidisim.
Yes JOM has had knee problems since he was a 15 yr old

Let him run out next year with Rowell and Anderson next to him making their debuts
He can do his ACL playing for the reserves just as easy as the first team.

He’s still playing this weekend, just at what level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back