Most popular afl club Roy Morgan Poll

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, and I haven't been to a Storm game in 8 years. I do take notice of their results and I might sit down and watch maybe one of their games a year though.

I'm sure sponsors take note of these figures when factoring in potential reach.
Sydney having massive national/multinationals like QBE, Citi, Volkswagon and Qatar Airways is no accident. They have eyeballs.
If Sydney were an AFL city with their potential reach and success on the field over 15 years they would by now have over 100,000 members. They would also sell out the SCG like the Eagles do at Optus.

They would also sell out the SCG like the Eagles do at Optus.

IF that an attempt to downplay the result of this survey, how often is the Docklands &/or the G sold out, applying your logic as it is.

When you look at the survey results it wasnt club members, seated club members.

IF that an attempt to downplay the result of this survey, how often is the Docklands &/or the G sold out, applying your logic as it is.

When you look at the survey results it wasnt club members, seated club members.
Sydney crowds are on par with the middle to lower supported clubs in Melbourne. Even less than that during their lean years of the early 90's. They also play at a smaller venue. If Sydney really had 1.1 million genuine fans they should be up there with the big Vic clubs, Crows and the Eagles in all statistics which measure a clubs supporter base.

Sydney crowds are on par with the middle to lower supported clubs in Melbourne. Even less than that during their lean years of the early 90's. They also play at a smaller venue. If Sydney really had 1.1 million genuine fans they should be up there with the big Vic clubs, Crows and the Eagles in all statistics which measure a clubs supporter base.

No one is suggesting these people are genuine fans whatever the definition of that is in a national comp. Its sure not anything remotely associated with bums on seats or stadium capacity.

Yep, its supports those of us that think membership numbers are a hollow measurement, its membership dollars that are real.
I kind of agree with you there. Membership dollars is another measure and West Coast are the biggest. I have no bias towards the Crows or Eagles but if there was a poll and West Coast and Adelaide came up with figures of 1.1 million fans I would think yep that makes sense.

Yep, its supports those of us that think membership numbers are a hollow measurement, its membership dollars that are real.

At least membership numbers involve the payment of money (as defined by the AFL). That's many levels above a survey, and social media likes, etc.

Certainly, the latter provides pointers to the potential market.

Essendon has declined and lost the top spot Victorian club since leaving the MCG as their home ground.

It was the most monumentously stupid thing to do to a great and powerful club.

Essendon has declined and lost the top spot Victorian club since leaving the MCG as their home ground.

I agree to some extent Essendon were pioneers in the 90's with their marketing of the club when they moved to the MCG. Heaps of teenagers started following the Bombers too. But not as stupid as Carlton (John Elliot) decision to spend millions of dollars on building the legends stand at a suburban ground. Then charging fans an extra 10 dollars to sit there. It allianated most of our supporter base for the most part of 20 years and we lost our clear status as the second biggest club in Victoria.

I agree to some extent Essendon were pioneers in the 90's with their marketing of the club when they moved to the MCG. Heaps of teenagers started following the Bombers too. But not as stupid as Carlton (John Elliot) decision to spend millions of dollars on building the legends stand at a suburban ground. Then charging fans an extra 10 dollars to sit there. It allianated most of our supporter base for the most part of 20 years and we lost our clear status as the second biggest club in Victoria.

Jack got an MBA before it was a ‘thing’

Obviously he bombed on customer engagement

Two reasons for this but the main reason is on field performance or lack their of for Essendon since 2001 and playing at marvel.

The opposite has occurred with Collingwood much better on field success plus playing at the mcg has help Collingwood grew their supporter base.

Since Roy Morgan starting with their polls since 2001 Essendon where the biggest Victorian club from 2001 to 2008 peaking at 873,000 in 2001 coming off their 2000 premiership win and their lowest was in 2016 when their support dropped to 550,000 in their wooden spoon year

Collingwood on the other hand peaked in 2011 after their premiership with 913,000 supporters with their lowest being 622,000 in 2001! Collingwood have been the most popular Victorian club since 2009!! Both Collingwood and Essendon were both equal 1st in 2008 with 722,000 followers Australia wide.

Collingwood and Essendon are also first and second on social media in the afl!! Collingwood have 708,000 social media followers and Essendon have 660,000!!

If Collingwood and Essendon are very interchangeable because their supporterbase numbers have always been very close but also due to their huge following’s and nation profile both clubs have always found it easy to gain new supporter’s when both clubs are going well on field

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since 1990 the big 4 would of been in this order!

1990-92 - 1. Collingwood, 2. Carlton, 3. Essendon. 4 Richmond

1993-1995 - 1. Collingwood, Essendon, 3. Carlton, 4. Richmond

1996-2001 - 1. Essendon, 2. Collingwood, 3. Carlton 4. Richmond

2002 - 2016 1. Collingwood, 2. Essendon, 3. Carlton and 4. Richmond

2017 - now 1. Collingwood, 2. Essendon, 3. Richmond and 4. Carlton

I do agree that for how successful Carlton were from 1993-2001 playing at princess park stopped their growth. The blues have always been a big club but with Melbourne’s population growth people people would more like choose to barrack for Essendon then Carlton due to the mcg factor!. This is the main reason why Collingwood has regained its status as the biggest Victorian club from Essendon in the early 2000’s because of Collingwood’s resurgence as an on field power club but also playing at the mcg! Easier to get tickets unlike marvel!

The reason why Sydney are first every year because they are now an established club in a city with 6 million people. Also swans world easily have 100-150,000 fans in Victoria with south Melbourne. Be interesting and o guess we will get more of an idea on Sunday how many old Fitzroy fans support Brisbane. I remember playing Brisbane in 2003 1st v 2nd at the mcg in front of 61,000 and their were 10-15,000 Brisbane fans at the game (99% were Fitzroy fans. Wearing Fitzroy scarfs and the Fitzroy jumper helped that the lions were wearing the old heritage Fitzroy jumper that day too)

I agree with most of what you've said playing at Princes Park not only stopped our growth it allianated most of our supporter base.

We made a cameo appearance in the years of 2008 to 2012 and we were back to the second most supported club (Vic) TV ratings, surveys, crowds etc..But what I have seen recently is allot of the dormant supporter base are coming back along with the kids.

I know the club is working hard to reingage the Carlton supporter base. According to the club and the AFL data shows us as having the second largest supporter base (Vic) Australia wide with Essendon marginally behind us.

There was a poll Australia wide at the end of 1995 (long time ago yes) that had us as having 1 million supporters. The club still claim this but the AFL say it's less than that now and so do I.

I agree with most of what you've said playing at Princes Park not only stopped our growth it allianated most of our supporter base.

We made a cameo appearance in the years of 2008 to 2012 and we were back to the second most supported club (Vic) TV ratings, surveys, crowds etc..But what I have seen recently is allot of the dormant supporter base are coming back along with the kids.

I know the club is working hard to reingage the Carlton supporter base. According to the club and the AFL data shows us as having the second largest supporter base (Vic) Australia wide with Essendon marginally behind us.

There was a poll Australia wide at the end of 1995 (long time ago yes) that had us as having 1 million supporters. The club still claim this but the AFL say it's less than that now and so do I.

Hmmm I don’t think you have more supporters then Essendon tho. In Victoria Carlton would be the 4th biggest but around Australia the blues would be behind Collingwood and Essendon and just in front of Richmond

Do you have evidence from the club or the afl which states Carlton are the 2nd biggest Victorian club?

Imo Collingwood and Essendon are clearly no.1 and no.2!!!

Richmond are Carlton are very close no.3 and no.4 in Victoria!! Tho Carlton would have more supporters overall due to their huge support in the other states which Richmond don’t have (tho they like to claim they are the biggest but in reality they are not)!!

Look at total social media followers of the big 5 and it looks like this;

Collingwood- 709,000
Essendon- 660,000
Hawthorn- 608,000 (due to having the most supporters in the afl under 20)
Richmond - 585,000
Carlton- 560,000

Look at total social media followers of the big 5 and it looks like this;

Collingwood- 709,000
Essendon- 660,000
Hawthorn- 608,000 (due to having the most supporters in the afl under 20)
Richmond - 585,000
Carlton- 560,000

Was just going to pull you up on that!

Although Hawthorn’s is actually 638,000 (336,000 on Facebook, 177,000 on Instagram, 95,300 on twitter)

Anyway SM and Roy Morgan (heck throw in SuperCoach and Dreamteam) are all pretty meaningless when it comes to rusted on, active support.

In terms of club size historically bums on seats and to a lesser extent club membership are the only categories that matter

Perhaps it could be time for another spreadsheet

Just on Hawthorn (my team and I’m a little biased) but the Hawks won’t be a big 5 club until they get out of Tasmania

And with Caroline Wilson’s article today, where Hawthorn themselves admit that they would probably generate more revenue from playing 11 games in Melbourne, hopefully that won’t be too far away

Last edited:
Do you have evidence from the club or the afl which states Carlton are the 2nd biggest Victorian club?

Imo Collingwood and Essendon are clearly no.1 and no.2!!!

Richmond are Carlton are very close no.3 and no.4 in Victoria!! Tho Carlton would have more supporters overall due to their huge support in the other states which Richmond don’t have (tho they like to claim they are the biggest but in reality they are not)!!
Several times its been stated at our annual AGM and that we struggle to convert them into members.

Along with that when we are winning we are the second most watched team on TV, Number one in online streaming, second in attendances and second overall attendances of all time.

AFL has said it before Essendon have around 7 to 800,000 fans but claim to have a million. AFL data suggests the Blues have 750,000 to 850,000 with 637,000 over 18. Carlton have claimed to have a million.

In Victoria Essendon just edge out Carlton and Richmond who are almost the same. Australia wide Carlton have more percentage wise than Essendon, Richmond and Hawthorn. Yes the Hawks are up there with Richmond and Essendon Australia wide.

Carlton is not clear second anymore as per social media apart from Youtube.
IMO in Vic
1. Collingwood clear 1
2. Carlton based on AFL data, tv ratings, streaming, Youtube, historical attendance records and media.
2. Essendon social media
2.Richmond members and current crowds
2. Hawthorn 1or 2 in membership over the last 15 years massive young support. Also due to their success along with Carlton in the 70's 80's 90's on TV Australia wide.

Carlton,Essendon,Richmond, and Hawthorn can claim to be second depending on your opinion. My opinion it's the Blues but not a clear second anymore as per pre 1993.

If every team played the same teams twice and every team the venue was the same for the away teams with all games on at the same time slot and same weather we’d be have the best crowd aggregate. Essendon second and Collingwood third

If every team played the same teams twice and every team the venue was the same for the away teams with all games on at the same time slot and same weather we’d be have the best crowd aggregate. Essendon second and Collingwood third

And if I wasn't a bald fat * I'd have a shot with Scarlett Johansson

When did this board become about the alternative facts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back