Coach North Melbourne Football Department Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

iSmack

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
NMFC needs to build a strong relationship with the San Antonio Spurs.

To be specific, spend some time with the outgoing GM of the Spurs, R.C Bufford.

He has single handedly transformed that organisation.

He is a trade genius and sees things that people don't see.

The Spurs have received a single #1 draft pick in 1997, with the majority of picks since been in the 30's and 40's mark and have won 6 NBA titles during that period.

We have so much to learn.....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

NMFC needs to build a strong relationship with the San Antonio Spurs.

To be specific, spend some time with the outgoing GM of the Spurs, R.C Bufford.

He has single handedly transformed that organisation.

He is a trade genius and sees things that people don't see.

The Spurs have received a single #1 draft pick in 1997, with the majority of picks since been in the 30's and 40's mark and have won 6 NBA titles during that period.

We have so much to learn.....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
But we're Utah Jazz fans...or at least we were under Scotts. It'll be interesting to see if any altitude training is done this preseason.

But we're Utah Jazz fans...or at least we were under Scotts. It'll be interesting to see if any altitude training is done this preseason.
There was a post a few days ago about no Utah.

TBH I'd love to see them do the brutal military $hit they did prior to 2007.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Golden State, SF 49ers
Richo for all his shortcomings is a gun assistant coach.

Was known in the industry as being the real yang to Ken Hinkley in Port's run a few years ago.

Was the only bloke that was able to bring him into line and really the only opinion Ken really listened too, they struggled for a period until they were able to get Voss into a similar position.

I think he's absolutely perfect for Shaw, especially as he's got the senior coach experience as well, he can morph from senior assistant to senior coach in terms of an advisory support role.

It's kind of similar to the NFL, not all the best offensive/defensive co-ordinators make the best head coaches for a variety of reasons, but they still remain the best offensive or defensive co-ordinator when they return to that role, as it plays to their main tactical/development/interpersonal strengths.
Agree with all this. I thought he was a great appointment at the time for the Saints after his time at Port and previous clubs.

Would be a massive get and Shaw was at Pies when Richo had a stint their as an assistant.

Last edited:

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Richo is a decent coach (tactically), he just had to coach a s**t club with delusional expectations, and way too many Jacks.
He has a huge football brain dude, their list is complete shite, I have nfi why they sacked him.. ah well, would be stoked to have that quality advising Shaw. He is a coach that can shift game plans in a ten minute break to change swing and momentum.. get him in NMFC!

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our department are amateurish even by AFL standard. High performance, drafting, match day simulation all severely under-performing. We struggle a lot in foreign conditions due to poor scouting and opposition ground simulation. Player development lacks imagination. No clear direction for high performance.

There was a post a few days ago about no Utah.

TBH I'd love to see them do the brutal military $hit they did prior to 2007.

These snowflakes can't take a spray from a coach, they aren't going to survive a brutal military camp.

I've said before, but I'd like us to incorporate pre-season endurance training with skill development, don't care how often a player can land a pass on the training track, being able to do it when fatigued is a different ball game. You can incorporate pressure by the way you structure the camp, have a mix of mids, forwards and defenders in a number of groups and they compete against each other, you score things like hitting targets, kicking goals, spoiling marks, etc mixed with endurance training and the pressure of competition will simulate pressure, teams that are near the bottom have to run further the next phase, or have to run for longer so they will get direct feedback that not executing will result in more pain. Succeeding is rewarded with less pain. Will be a lot of pressure on guys hitting targets knowing that if they * up not only are they going to have do more running but they are going to force it on their group members as well.

We need to sweat it out of this group thinking they can roll up one week and not show up the following week, it is only going to happen if they are conditioned to succeed.

It pissed me off hearing Ziebell say there is always next week, there isn't always next week, after round 23 there is no next week because we didn't rock up to half the season. There isn't going to be a next week or next season for Thompson after round 23, these guys have to realise there is only now and time is precious and limited.

It pi**ed me off hearing Ziebell say there is always next week, there isn't always next week, after round 23 there is no next week because we didn't rock up to half the season. There isn't going to be a next week or next season for Thompson after round 23, these guys have to realise there is only now and time is precious and limited.

Yep.

We aren't playing finals Jack. Next week doesn't count for s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harvey is in charge of player development for North Melbourne’s first and second-year players and declared his intentions to move into the AFL coaching realm following the end of the 2019 season.

Wow, I never actually knew what Boomer's official role was in the club. It's interesting to see that Boomer is developing our new recruits, because we now have rising star nominations out the arse.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wow, I never actually knew what Boomer's official role was in the club. It's interesting to see that Boomer is developing our new recruits, because we now have rising star nominations out the arse.

Makes sense.

Harvey has always been heralded especially in his latter stage of his career as someone whos had the greatest preparation for a game and season above anyone else.

He's definitely got the ability to coach players, especially the younger blokes. Deserves an official role in the club.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
well north they did chase him

Not sure if it's related but whether you like him or not, there is something unsettling about seeing Cameron Joyce still involved at the club.

If the recruiting manger or senior coach are no longer deemed best fit, they're finished up immediately. Why do we have someone in the same situation still lingering on at the club?

Note - this is not a commentary on whether Cameron is a good or bad operator. But it's unusual to have someone openly being wound up in a position - not through circumstance or retrenchment - meander on for months. In this instance it would be a strange look even in a non-football environment.

Not sure if it's related but whether you like him or not, there is something unsettling about seeing Cameron Joyce still involved at the club.

If the recruiting manger or senior coach are no longer deemed best fit, they're finished up immediately. Why do we have someone in the same situation still lingering on at the club?

Note - this is not a commentary on whether Cameron is a good or bad operator. But it's unusual to have someone openly being wound up in a position - not through circumstance or retrenchment - meander on for months. In this instance it would be a strange look even in a non-football environment.
Could it be because Brady is hand tied atm?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Could it be because Brady is hand tied atm?

I did realise that GR but you'd think someone who knows they've been ruled out of their own job isn't going to be the most helpful presence to have involved in strategic decisions or dealing with candidates. Would imagine there's enough competent people at the club to cover the key duties in the interim.

If we had secured Simpson for 2020 and announced Scott wouldn't be renewed but he would coach the year out it would've been considered ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back