Past #45: Red Óg Murphy - RIP - Murphy has passed away in Dublin aged 21 (April 2022)

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pull home to lreland must be big. Shame. Best of lrish luck to him. Hopefully we can watch Red in an All lreland final one day turning it on.

I'm still disappointed we never got polymath Eric Wallace a game.
Wallace had a great attitude and iirc still showed some public support for us well after we passed ways, was sad to see him go.

As for Red, best of luck to him and I just hope he doesn't have any regrets. Can't be easy moving a continent away from your family at that age if you hadn't been planning on doing it for some time. Personally just glad that the AFL recognises this and other risk factors so gives clubs some free hits via the cat-b rookie system.

Nov 29, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rockets, Astros, Capitals
Wallace had a great attitude and iirc still showed some public support for us well after we passed ways, was sad to see him go.

As for Red, best of luck to him and I just hope he doesn't have any regrets. Can't be easy moving a continent away from your family at that age if you hadn't been planning on doing it for some time. Personally just glad that the AFL recognises this and other risk factors so gives clubs some free hits via the cat-b rookie system.

He’s still a regular on social media commenting on North related stuff.

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why can we not develop any of the Irish kids. This kid was supposed to be a top junior back in Ireland. It's really disappointing as they add a point of difference with their run and carry, something we could do with.

You would need to question the club as to our poor development with these irish kids.

Didn’t know we had much of a history with the Irish...?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
It's a bit of a free roll isn't it?

To an extent but you're still paying them and devoting resources.

If they're not making the grade like most of the US players that's one thing. But the Irish seem to have a high bail out factor thats more what I was referring to.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You would think the Irish would enjoy Australia. That lovely accent isn't going to get them any 'tang back in their country.

He might have better employment & sporting options back home that he doesn't believe he will find here.

The kids got a lot of raw talent, but he's still a long way off it, and no guarantee of getting there.

arden station

Cancelled
May 3, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To an extent but you're still paying them and devoting resources.

If they're not making the grade like most of the US players that's one thing. But the Irish seem to have a high bail out factor thats more what I was referring to.
That's the thing - exactly how much time do our coaches and other staff spend trying to teach these guys what is a new game? Probably way more time than they plan to and way more than on other players - and with a very low chance of success.

Bowski

Club Legend
May 14, 2007
Shenanigan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtic
I hope we persist with the internationals, the development can only get better and it's encouraging to see the club is trying all avenues to unearth a senior player.

Why can we not develop any of the Irish kids. This kid was supposed to be a top junior back in Ireland. It's really disappointing as they add a point of difference with their run and carry, something we could do with.

You would need to question the club as to our poor development with these irish kids.
I know he’s a rookie but surely striving for 2 years is the least they could muster before quitting

Back