Game Day Richmond v Brisbane Lions Round 23 - 15:20 AEST, Aug 25, 2019 (No umpiring complaints during game)

Remove this Banner Ad

:drunk:

You're either on the juice or at an all time high right now thinking your club is invincible. It'd explain that comparison.
That’s not true. That’s what you think. I’m pretty grounded and reasonable.

You’re the one comparing two different types of defenders. Might as well say McGovern is better than Hurn while you’re at it with the strange comparisons.

You’re the one comparing two different types of defenders. Might as well say McGovern is better than Hurn while you’re at it with the strange comparisons.

He's still salty from last weekened. I'd ignore him, he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

:drunk:

You're either on the juice or at an all time high right now thinking your club is invincible. It'd explain that comparison.

I mean, you COULD look at their stats maybe?

They are pretty damn even. Darcy is ahead on kicks, goals(Lol), tackles, Inside 50s, Assists, metres gained and in other areas he isnt far behind Grimes.

Not at all. Andrews and Grimes are very much comparable.

My opinion has been Grimes is the best defender in the game and I've held that opinion for a while. People are now starting to see his true worth without Rance and he's going from strength to strength to strength.

It's a credit to him that his thrived with so much responsibility after losing arguably the best defender of the 'defensive 50 area' I've seen.

I mean, you COULD look at their stats maybe?

They are pretty damn even. Darcy is ahead on kicks, goals(Lol), tackles, Inside 50s, Assists, metres gained and in other areas he isnt far behind Grimes.
You're really using stats to compare 'defenders'

Seriously mate, go focus on dreamteam.

The fact you blokes consider Gardiner as an equal to Grimes shows just how much this year has gone to your heads.

Not at all. Andrews and Grimes are very much comparable.

My opinion has been Grimes is the best defender in the game and I've held that opinion for a while. People are now starting to see his true worth without Rance and he's going from strength to strength to strength.

It's a credit to him that his thrived with so much responsibility after losing arguably the best defender of the 'defensive 50 area' I've seen.
I agree that he is a very, very good player. But their roles are not the same. Harris gets given numerous and hugely important roles throughout a match. Without taking credit away from his great year, you know exactly what you’ll see from Grimes each match. He’ll never stand out in multiple categories in one game like Andrews can with his 1%ers and intercept marking (all the whilst keeping his opponent to very little impact). It’s a silly comparison. From purely a positional point of view, Gardiner and Grimes is a much more reasonable comparison. They play the exact same role for their team.

You're really using stats to compare 'defenders'

Seriously mate, go focus on dreamteam.

The fact you blokes consider Gardiner as an equal to Grimes shows just how much this year has gone to your heads.
The same was being said last year, too. Was it any less valid then?

What else would you use to compare defenders?
SC points?
If you really think Gardiner is equal to Grimes then I'll just shake my head and walk away. You won't get many people who agree with you.

One gets media attention and the other one doesn't.

Put them up stat by stat and maybe you can take the blinkers off.
Start a poll on the polls board and then we'll talk blinkers.

Gardiner wouldn't sit in the top dozen tall defenders in the games. Grimes will be AA this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you really think Gardiner is equal to Grimes then I'll just shake my head and walk away. You won't get many people who agree with you.

Man, in that case when Darcy is Grimes age hes going to be the best defender in the league. 5 years age difference, very similar stats, both play as bloody good defenders.

But if you really want to stress that Darcy is so far behind Grimes it isnt funny, then you should probably change to supporting Richmond.

Man, in that case when Darcy is Grimes age hes going to be the best defender in the league. 5 years age difference, very similar stats, both play as bloody good defenders.

But if you really want to stress that Darcy is so far behind Grimes it isnt funny, then you should probably change to supporting Richmond.
Put away the stats book. Andrews is fantastic and right up there, Darcy Gardiner isn't on the same level as Grimes.

Grimes and Gardiner is a closer comparison. One plays for a Victorian team, the other does the exact same thing each week and gets no credit because he’s not from a Victorian team.

Andrews is a different type of defender so it’s difficult to compare the two.

Mate ease up on your Vic complex. GRIMES like Gardiner? Wow. Never knew Gardiner has been either 1st or 2nd best defender in your side for 5 years while performing to an elite standard in finals and being super in you GF

Why would I start a poll when you're the one disputing the similarities?

Are you actually 12 years old?
There are no similarities. And If I'm 12, you're much younger. Using the word salty is a prime example.

Take the Lions glasses off guys. Gardiner is a rock solid defender but he isn't on the same level as Grimes. Grimes is arguably the most effective defender in the competition right now.

If we use the most relevant stats for a key defender (one percenters, intercepts, contested marks) Grimes has Gardiner covered in all of them.

Despite all the other factors, this is still Richmond in 5th vs Brisbane in 1st. Those confidently predicting Richmond by 10+ goals are being just as presumptuous as those Crows supporters who were tipping us by 10+ goals in the '17 granny.
ali vs foreman picccssss.jpg

Brisbane are way too good to get smashed by 50+ points in my opinion. It could happen of course if we’re talking possibilities, but I think it’s likely for it to either end up a close game or a classic Richmond “thumping” at the MCG - a 20-30 point win.

I’m going with a closer Richmond win between 12-18 points because we usually don’t have games with sub 12 point margins this year (Port at AO and West Coast last week the exceptions). We’ve also become a fairly reliable team in the H&A season when something important is on the line like a top 4 spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back