Coach North Melbourne Football Department Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I did realise that GR but you'd think someone who knows they've been ruled out of their own job isn't going to be the most helpful presence to have involved in strategic decisions or dealing with candidates. Would imagine there's enough competent people at the club to cover the key duties in the interim.

If we had secured Simpson for 2020 and announced Scott wouldn't be renewed but he would coach the year out it would've been considered ridiculous.
I think it was TAO who mentioned somewhere that he is just sitting in the chair and Brady and Rhyce are doing all the work behind the scenes. I'm fine with it. We still needed someone there to fill the spot.

Not sure if it's related but whether you like him or not, there is something unsettling about seeing Cameron Joyce still involved at the club.

If the recruiting manger or senior coach are no longer deemed best fit, they're finished up immediately. Why do we have someone in the same situation still lingering on at the club?

Note - this is not a commentary on whether Cameron is a good or bad operator. But it's unusual to have someone openly being wound up in a position - not through circumstance or retrenchment - meander on for months. In this instance it would be a strange look even in a non-football environment.

Totally agree! I see no benefit of Joyce still being at the club unless no one else is capable which would be a very poor situation if true. Or possibly due to Carl Dinenna not spending much time at the club no one else to conduct interviews etc?

I think it was TAO who mentioned somewhere that he is just sitting in the chair and Brady and Rhyce are doing all the work behind the scenes. I'm fine with it. We still needed someone there to fill the spot.

Respect your take GR. I see it slightly differently on this one.

Couldn't really give a toss about Alan Richardson but if Joyce was the one liaising with him in the "pursuit" it would give off some confusing signals imo.

Another big fish missed.
Not really his a loser wasn't much of a player and a 💩coach so it's appropriate that he joins a loser club as with 💩 Losers stick together😁
Maybe there can teech him how they have 1 good year and 💩 10 years and lay down and cheat the system

Respect your take GR. I see it slightly differently on this one.

Couldn't really give a toss about Alan Richardson but if Joyce was the one liaising with him in the "pursuit" it would give off some confusing signals imo.

I think Joyce is looking after the Penske file. Turning up to work but with nothing to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must disagree with Rhyce’s comments regarding the Coleman Medal. I’d like to watch someone in a Blue and White jumper win something of significance thank you very much. AFLX is the closest I’ve gotten to seeing Polec and Higgins win a team award also lol.

well north they did chase him
Why do you guys think this is happening. Is it that we are not prepared or in a position to part with the dollars, or maybe just media hype in that every time we show any interest in anyone it gets played up to sell papers or is our brand an issue making us 'on the nose' to potential players and in this case a coach ?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why do you guys think this is happening. Is it that we are not prepared or in a position to part with the dollars, or maybe just media hype in that every time we show any interest in anyone it gets played up to sell papers or is our brand an issue making us 'on the nose' to potential players and in this case a coach ?

More often that not, North's interest is incredibly overstated, likely by either:
  1. Journalists trying to sell a story
  2. Player agents trying to get their player's current club to offer a higher contract
North Melbourne doesn't have a problem drawing players, coaches or personnel. Dal Santo, Higgins, Polec, Waite, etc. are examples of big name players that were sought after by other clubs, that landed at North.

Even though Martin and Gaff rejected us, people don't appreciate how bold going after them was in the first place. They were superstars, coming off of superstar seasons, whose teams had just won Grand Finals. Any club would have been knocked back, but at least we asked instead of sitting on our hands and shuffle mid range picks like some clubs are happy to do year after year in the trade period.

I don't find it embarrassing to be knocked back by players, one bit. If anything, it's refreshing that North Melbourne are happy to openly say: "Hey, we reckon you're really good at footy and fit a need we have, here's what we think that's worth to us."

You can't win if you don't play.

Fair call. So is the notion of not being a 'destination club' just media hype or is it a reflection of how far we are perceived to be from being a finals contender ?
More often that not, North's interest is incredibly overstated, likely by either:
  1. Journalists trying to sell a story
  2. Player agents trying to get their player's current club to offer a higher contract
North Melbourne doesn't have a problem drawing players, coaches or personnel. Dal Santo, Higgins, Polec, Waite, etc. are examples of big name players that were sought after by other clubs, that landed at North.

Even though Martin and Gaff rejected us, people don't appreciate how bold going after them was in the first place. They were superstars, coming off of superstar seasons, whose teams had just won Grand Finals. Any club would have been knocked back, but at least we asked instead of sitting on our hands and shuffle mid range picks like some clubs are happy to do year after year in the trade period.

I don't find it embarrassing to be knocked back by players, one bit. If anything, it's refreshing that North Melbourne are happy to openly say: "Hey, we reckon you're really good at footy and fit a need we have, here's what we think that's worth to us."

You can't win if you don't play.

Let's hope Friday of next week are giving their marching orders Tudor Moore Loader Crocker we can't carry people like this any more.
The good guy policy must stop now otherwise we will continue to flounder ffs we haven't won a flag now for 2 decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please take this with a grain of salt...but I was at a party tonight with some footy heads...

One of them runs a restaurant , where a lot of AFL, players and coaches attend and he hears abit. My mate tells me, that Bolton will be Rhyce’s mentor

He reckons it’s a sure thing, I don’t know what to make of it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not really his a loser wasn't much of a player and a 💩coach so it's appropriate that he joins a loser club as with 💩 Losers stick together😁
Maybe there can teech him how they have 1 good year and 💩 10 years and lay down and cheat the system

Didn't even know Richardson had signed with someone else. You've just described at least half a dozen clubs there, but I'll take a stab at Melbourne. Couldn't care less to be honest.

Please take this with a grain of salt...but I was at a party tonight with some footy heads...

One of them runs a restaurant , where a lot of AFL, players and coaches attend and he hears abit. My mate tells me, that Bolton will be Rhyce’s mentor

I had actually thought about Bolton when he was sacked, that he could be a good assistant. Was highly regarded at Hawthorn, and assistant may just be his level. Coaching Carlton ruins everyone's reputation, but he could still be a positive influence with the correct role.

I didn't think it would happen, so didn't give it too much thought, and it probably won't, but if it did, I wouldn't be against it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't hate it. His record at Carlton wasn't great, but I reckon there was a lot more at play at that s**t club than Bolton's coaching. There's been rumours for years that the players didn't respect him from the get go. I think he has value at AFL level. Not sure that he's suitable as a mentor, but sign him up as an assistant.

I love Crocker and co., but guys like him are common denominators for eras of us doing absolutely stuff all. Clean the coaching ranks.

There are some footy folk who question why you need a mentor. If you aren't good enough to be senior coach why are you appointed. I have some sympathy for that position but I think it depends how you define the role. Bolton could be a good get. Had a crack at Richardson.

There are some footy folk who question why you need a mentor. If you aren't good enough to be senior coach why are you appointed. I have some sympathy for that position but I think it depends how you define the role. Bolton could be a good get. Had a crack at Richardson.
Bolton wouldn’t be a mentor, would he - more like Ratten has been, an ex senior coach who rings something extra to the job of being an assistant coach.

Apart from Roos, I’m struggling to think of who would be a good mentor. The game moves so quickly and recent flag winning coaches are still in their jobs. Maybe Ross Lyon, given how long he has done the job and how close he was to a premiership a few times, although the personality fit with Shaw seems less likely.

Bolton wouldn’t be a mentor, would he - more like Ratten has been, an ex senior coach who rings something extra to the job of being an assistant coach.

Apart from Roos, I’m struggling to think of who would be a good mentor. The game moves so quickly and recent flag winning coaches are still in their jobs. Maybe Ross Lyon, given how long he has done the job and how close he was to a premiership a few times, although the personality fit with Shaw seems less likely.
I am all for the idea but some footy folk who I think are smarter than me think its a vote of doubt in the coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back