Universal Love IT WAS FUN NOT HAVING A LID IN 2019 - BUT GWS AND RICHMOND NAILED THE 2020 LID BACK ON

Is the Lid now “OFFICIALLY” off?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that we're even talking about a premiership lid shows how far above expectations Brisbane have risen.

Sounds cliche, but all we have to do is keep on winning so we can blow this lid off as well.

Remember that Billy Puller guy who had the inside scoop on the discord inside the den. How all the players had drank their own bath water and hated Fagan? Where are all the naysayers now?
Billy Puller ah? Not sure if he can post inside scoops from the inside. Can anyone who's been inside confirm if one has access to the internet from the inside?

In the HIGHLY UNLIKELY event that we lose against Richmond on Sunday, supporters should not attempt to bring LIDS into this thread. Those wishing to purchase lids for personal use are advised to visit the Essendon, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Geelong, Fremantle, Collingwood, GWS or Melbourne Boards, where there are thriving secondary Lid markets. Lids can also be sourced at all other clubs, with the exception of Brisbane, West Coast and Richmond.

There is a LID EXCLUSION ZONE operating in this thread. In the event of a loss to Richmond, members are encouraged to see this as part of Coach Fagan’s (Peace Be Upon Him) SECRET MASTER PLAN to lull opponents into a false sense of security. We all remember Brisbane last employing this tactic in 2003 when they lost their first final against Collingwood, only to devastate them in the Grand Final.
Coach Fagan (Hallowed Be His Name) is a student of history and all should be comfortable with their LIDS OFF status in the event of a loss. As our oldest and most revered battle anthem puts it ...
“PREMIERS WE’LL BE THIS YEAR!”

We are, as a nation, intrinsically risk adverse. Australia would much rather support the underdog than barrack for the front runner. We also don't like to make bold predictions on what we might achieve because we don't want to be left with egg on our faces or called a big mouth surrounded by people telling us, "I told you so". For me - I believe in the powers of positive thinking - if you say it enough and set the expectations then you can achieve it. I've gone into this season believing, even just a little bit that we can play finals and even a smaller bit we can go all the way. It's a long season, we are just 10% of the way on the journey yet and can see why people say it's too early to tell. The intangible in all sports and competitions is the belief of those competing, all too often the favourite is beaten but a team or individual that just believes more it's their time. This team has the physical capability and the depth to withstand the season so why not? why not go all the way, if the team and the club believe its possible and the supporters talk that way why can we create an environment of support that creates the intangible element of belief. My lid is off because I want to celebrate each win like it means more than any in the last 10 years, I want to support every win like its a step in the journey and the more steps we take the bigger the celebration. frankly I'm sick of hold back and waiting for the ultimate failure, I'm going to enjoy every win this season like we are on the road to glory.
Clarkythelion is an inspiration! He posted this after our first two wins! We need to get around the boys and get around blokes like Clarky! The packed GABBA last weekend was the FIRST BIG STEP for us. We need to cram the MCG on Sunday with as many of us as we can muster. FITZROY SUPPORTERS TO ARMS! TO ARMS! OUR TEAM IS IN TOWN AND WE ARE ON OUR VICTORY DRIVE! LIKE THE VALIANT ROYS OF 1944! LIKE THE BRAVE LIONS OF 2001, 2002, 2003! WE NEED YOU ALL AT THE MCG! COME AND FEEL THE NOISE! WE’LL GET WILD, WILD, WILD!

Clarkythelion is an inspiration! He posted this after our first two wins! We need to get around the boys and get around blokes like Clarky! The packed GABBA last weekend was the FIRST BIG STEP for us. We need to cram the MCG on Sunday with as many of us as we can muster. FITZROY SUPPORTERS TO ARMS! TO ARMS! OUR TEAM IS IN TOWN AND WE ARE ON OUR VICTORY DRIVE! LIKE THE VALIANT ROYS OF 1944! LIKE THE BRAVE LIONS OF 2001, 2002, 2003! WE NEED YOU ALL AT THE MCG! COME AND FEEL THE NOISE! WE’LL GET WILD, WILD, WILD!
Thank you, I did book hotel in Melbourne for the grand final after the Bulldogs game. Yep I might end with egg on my face but if we go all the way, and why not, I'll be there with my now adult children who were too young last time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you, I did book hotel in Melbourne for the grand final after the Bulldogs game. Yep I might end with egg on my face but if we go all the way, and why not, I'll be there with my now adult children who were too young last time.
YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND! I am going to be in Edinburgh on Grand Final Day, but that’s a good thing because between 2001 - 2004 the only Grand Final I actually attended was 2004. The other three I was watching on TV in Warrnambool. The further away I am the better and Scotland is quite a way away.

Hawks do more than the right thing by us and now Top 2 is a lock.

Free hit tomorrow for the Minor Premiership.

The lid is now in an alternative universe.

Technical quibble unworthy of the Lid thread but it is not a lock ... if the Tigers beat us by something over 60 points then they go to second on percentage and we slip to third which is the lowest we can go no matter the scoreline. A win is, of course, first place!

Technical quibble unworthy of the Lid thread but it is not a lock ... if the Tigers beat us by something over 60 points then they go to second on percentage and we slip to third which is the lowest we can go no matter the scoreline. A win is, of course, first place!

Ok . yeah there is that

Just can't see us collapsing like that though.

Richmond probably putting the lid back on us being a genuine premiership chance

Richmond supporters no doubt self congratulating on being masters of the universe .

First game away from the MCG for 7 weeks coming up on Saturday week fellas!

We will be well rested and at home at the Gabba where we have never lost a final.

See you there Tiges.

Richmond supporters no doubt self congratulating on being masters of the universe .

First game away from the MCG for 7 weeks coming up on Saturday week fellas!

We will be well rested and at home at the Gabba where we have never lost a final.

See you there Tiges.

Yep. I think that this is definitely something to consider. I went to the Richmond game at the MCG and for mine, the PREMIERSHIP LID IS EVEN FURTHER OFF. We had about 14 players who were off their best efforts and Richmond still couldn't beat us by more than 5 goals. We are going to SMASH THEM! I put this in the Unofficial Preview, but it needs to be in here, because this is why my lid is off after a game that we lost.

Why we will beat Richmond - Players who will lift and make the difference

McCarthy
- had a very quiet game in Round 23. Expecting him to get among it this week
Gardiner - had a nightmare first quarter, before getting on top of Riewoldt. Expecting Darcy to be fired up.
Cameron - Plenty to prove this week after the Umpires let Grimes get away with absolute murder last game. A bag is looming.
Berry - A quiet game. Was second to a few too many contests.
Christensen - Most likely comes in for Cox and hopefully comes in firing. The alternative would be to select Mathieson for Cox.
Lyons - after a massive game and a match winning final quarter against Geelong, Lyons was quiet in the last game.
Martin - Got beaten last match. It wont happen twice in a row.
Rayner - Showed glimpses against Richmond and was hard at it. If ever there was time for a "breakout" game, it is this week.
Rich - Another star player who appeared rushed at times and under the pump in the final home and away game..
Adams - Got carved up by Riewoldt in the first quarter, but in his defence, his opponent was getting perfect delivery out of the middle. Expect a different assignment this week.
McStay - Had a shocker against Richmond last game, even by his standards. Needs to lead, hold a mark inside 50 and kick straight. Could be dropped, but if not, has to get back to his best in terms of applying forward pressure. He only had 1 tackle for the game and that is not enough given his alleged 'role.'
Hipwood - Tried his guts out against Richmond last time and I am expecting him to be fired up and to get reward on the scoreboard.
Answerth - Got brushed aside too much against Richmond last game. Needs to stick his tackles.
Bailey - We need him to improve his run out of defense and like Answerth, his tackling.

Factor this in and then add stellar games from Andrews, Zorko, Neale, Robinson, McCluggage, Hodge, Witherden and McInerney and there is NO LID!

I like the inclusion of Mathieson for Cox because he has a bigger body and provides more GRUNT than Christensen, but if he does bet the nod, Bundy would be very stiff. I would also consider dropping McStay for Walker, but then I have a psychological addiction to posting stuff like that.

LIONS BY 32 Points

Last edited:
Back