2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

What makes you think we even want Peel to win this week? Have you crunched the numbers? Tanking anyone?

AFL reserves comp will be the death knell of the WAFL. It's a strong competition and could be a very good gateway for our AFL team if our recruiters took more notice or prioritised taking payers who may have had one of two years apprenticeship for a WAFL team.

All that being said Freo can do much more to support the Peel team than providing a coach. Are our development coaches going to Peel training's? If not we need to get Peel seniors WAFL players to Cockburn once a week for their normal night training with all our coaches. Make all our facilities including GPS on game day, recovery, weights (as long as Webber stays away) video analysis and development coaches available for Peel.

While our players may have restrictions on an extra training session with the peel players there should be no reason why our coaches can't be there at least once a week drilling our plays, skills and systems and our fantastic facilities can't be made available.
How is it a death knell? WAFL already is poor, given Subiaco have dominated for 5 years now. WAFL really had their knell once West Coast entered VFL/AFL. Double blow when Freo entered in 1995.

West Perth nearly went bankrupt, East Freo struggling for development. Perth also hanging on some seasons. East Perth having to rebuild due to West Coast pulling out of alignment altogether. If anything AFL reserves allows WA talent spread across the state league.

It’s that training restrictions and coaches not being at Peel, for example, that it’s better off having the reserves comp. Not really fair having Freo and West Coast field 10-15 AFL listed players and dilute the comp.

How is it a death knell?
An AFL reserves league will take perhaps 60 current players in the WAFL out into a closer to full time paying role with the AFL. Assuming the reserves play immediately before the league sides (and that it doesn't get in the way of scheduling an evening game after a day game at the same ground), what happens to the WA reserves player who is playing in Melbourne on Friday night? He has to fly over Thursday with the squad. Missing work. So we need to pay these guys enough that they don't need an outside full time job.

Meanwhile the WAFL is lamenting the loss of their big bodied inside mids to supplement the teenagers and early twenties AFL listed players. I expect that if we were paying our reserves players $75,000 a year that might be enough to focus full time on football, an attractive prospect for existing 2nd league players.

So I do think that it is eventually where the AFL will go, but it will be very expensive for the AFL.

An AFL reserves league will take perhaps 60 current players in the WAFL out into a closer to full time paying role with the AFL. Assuming the reserves play immediately before the league sides (and that it doesn't get in the way of scheduling an evening game after a day game at the same ground), what happens to the WA reserves player who is playing in Melbourne on Friday night? He has to fly over Thursday with the squad. Missing work. So we need to pay these guys enough that they don't need an outside full time job.

Meanwhile the WAFL is lamenting the loss of their big bodied inside mids to supplement the teenagers and early twenties AFL listed players. I expect that if we were paying our reserves players $75,000 a year that might be enough to focus full time on football, an attractive prospect for existing 2nd league players.

So I do think that it is eventually where the AFL will go, but it will be very expensive for the AFL.

If they could get a decent broadcasting deal for it should make up the costs. WAFL tv deal is pretty bad but AFL branding for a reserves comp could be a pretty decent draw card for broadcasters.

If they could get a decent broadcasting deal for it should make up the costs. WAFL tv deal is pretty bad but AFL branding for a reserves comp could be a pretty decent draw card for broadcasters.
DO you think there is a market for 207 more games of football? (198 season + 9 finals)

DO you think there is a market for 207 more games of football? (198 season + 9 finals)

Possible, I imagine if they did do a reserves comp it would be with conferences and a different finals format.

These days sports is probably the only thing network tv has over streaming services. So more of it is always nice.

How is it a death knell? WAFL already is poor, given Subiaco have dominated for 5 years now. WAFL really had their knell once West Coast entered VFL/AFL. Double blow when Freo entered in 1995.

West Perth nearly went bankrupt, East Freo struggling for development. Perth also hanging on some seasons. East Perth having to rebuild due to West Coast pulling out of alignment altogether. If anything AFL reserves allows WA talent spread across the state league.

It’s that training restrictions and coaches not being at Peel, for example, that it’s better off having the reserves comp. Not really fair having Freo and West Coast field 10-15 AFL listed players and dilute the comp.
The WAFL playing standard is very good and goes unrecognised and one of the best in Australia as we might be able to tell when we import players from other minor leagues to compare.

It could be a breeding ground for players above the minimum age doing their apprenticeship. Easier to tell if they'll be a bust that when they're 18. With Peel and probably Beagles missing finals even though fielding 14 or so AFL listed players, so the majority of the other teams are better even though many have had off field problems.

Subi have dominated because they pay their players much more and attract better players. One suggestion could be increase all WAFL players pay to a standard amount with the AFL picking up the shortfall for clubs. Salary cap, but because AFL have now taken away the money they used to pay WAFL clubs recognising their contribution for getting a player on an AFL list, they should put money into a fund to directly increase all WAFL players pay (on grades based on points and years experience) to the cap.

Nothing stopping Freo from supporting Peel players with better integration as I described before, with development coaching, analysis and training which doesn't happen now.

We knew that was his biggest weakness, I dont think he had done a proper preseason until this year (I suppose no-one does before AFL but from memory he switched to cricket in the off season) so hopefully a second preseason and a bit more maturity should set him up for 2020.

Any chance he could be tried on a wing with his pace and marking ability? Or is his best role still likely to be more forward?

We knew that was his biggest weakness, I dont think he had done a proper preseason until this year (I suppose no-one does before AFL but from memory he switched to cricket in the off season) so hopefully a second preseason and a bit more maturity should set him up for 2020.

Any chance he could be tried on a wing with his pace and marking ability? Or is his best role still likely to be more forward?
Yeah I'm not concerned at all yet.

Makes it f...ing hard on the AFL coach when our depth is so poor

So tomorrow we have the grand total of 3 listed players as our total backup

West Coast by comparison have at least 12 players named in the seconds tomorrow

The sooner we move over to having our own stand alone WAFL team the better.
I'm surprised with Peel doing OK so far. 6 listed AFL players. Winning 3.5 23 to 1.0 6 at end of 1st quarter!

Perth in a big hole compared to their flying start to the season.

What makes you think we even want Peel to win this week? Have you crunched the numbers? Tanking anyone?

AFL reserves comp will be the death knell of the WAFL. It's a strong competition and could be a very good gateway for our AFL team if our recruiters took more notice or prioritised taking payers who may have had one of two years apprenticeship for a WAFL team.

Nah, it'd be the opposite. AFL fans don't care about their reserves, and WAFL fans don't particularly like their teams up against them - the West Coast reserves have drawn some of the worst crowds in WAFL history.
The standard might drop marginally, but the AFL players out of the WAFL would get some of the tribalism back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has been from what I have read. Might be why he isn't excelling, still learning the possie.

I don't think we ever had any doubt that he was a quality state league player. That's why he got drafted in the first place.
Be interesting to see if he can make the transition to the next level. We also picked him for his kicking and that hasn't really been evident, as yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back