Autopsy Round 23, 2019: Sydney v St.Kilda *2019 PRIDE GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt it. Who gives a s**t about the Pride Game? Who is gay and wakes up and thinks "geez I can't go to the footy this weekend?" No one cares about sexuality at the football. You can sit in the crowd and be anonymous.
I think the game is fine so long as it isn't costing the club money or affecting the players preparation. It's not the marquee game some pretend it is.
So you do know the history of abuse gay people have received at the footy dont you ? Walk in their shoes.

But they will read it on the internet. Doesn’t mean they won’t love footy either.
Will they? My point remains. I'm not saying those that don't read a newspaper won't like football, I'm just saying there's so many more places for entertainment today and anyone that thinks Footy is going to slot in there is deluded. It's a different world. It's all about youtube stars and esports and s**t like that. Not for everyone, but for many kids. This stuff isn't going away.
I'm not sure the point I'm trying to make, but I think I'm right to suggest it's not a given that the next generation will latch onto football or football teams the same way we all have.

Your loss then. It's fantastic and he speaks with such authority and clarity for what he wants from us going forward.

I honestly don't care any more. I don't care who coaches us next year, there won't be any miracle man come in and wave a wand over our list, we are up for a few more years of ordinary. I'm getting tired of waiting. I feel like we've been in the same place for 10 years but in the past blind optimism got me through.

So you do know the history of abuse gay people have received at the footy dont you ? Walk in their shoes.
It's 2019, not 1989. If someone gay shows up at the footy, no one will care and likely, no one will notice. What difference does someones sexuality have to do with sitting in a crowd watching a football game?

Will they? My point remains. I'm not saying those that don't read a newspaper won't like football, I'm just saying there's so many more places for entertainment today and anyone that thinks Footy is going to slot in there is deluded. It's a different world. It's all about youtube stars and esports and s**t like that. Not for everyone, but for many kids. This stuff isn't going away.
I'm not sure the point I'm trying to make, but I think I'm right to suggest it's not a given that the next generation will latch onto football or football teams the same way we all have.
That sounds like what was probably written 20 years ago. Crowds and tv numbers are still great. I’m sure plenty of kids love the game. My local club numbers are still great. Even better counting girls.

i did read the other day in America at the Gridiron last year they had record numbers of young kids going to games according to ticket info . They have the same distractions as our kids .

I honestly don't care any more. I don't care who coaches us next year, there won't be any miracle man come in and wave a wand over our list, we are up for a few more years of ordinary. I'm getting tired of waiting. I feel like we've been in the same place for 10 years but in the past blind optimism got me through.
You don't care yet you're spending your Saturday night on here autopsying the match and the season?

Give it a couple more years. We are on the cusp of a collapse in membership. We need a complete rebuild 8 years into an existing rebuild.

Statistically it is actually very hard to miss finals 10+ years in a row. It takes a special kind of ineptness and that is the exact scenario we face. Not a chance we play finals the next 2 years. NONE!

I thInk we compete for wooden spoon next year against Gold Coast. Look at the team's below us this year and make a genuine argue we are better then any of them.

The exodus of members over the next few years will be savage AF.

Freo are s**t too, they will lose a lot of players and sit in the s**t pile with us and GC. North are still a pretty light on list as well.

It's 2019, not 1989. If someone gay shows up at the footy, no one will care and likely, no one will notice. What difference does someones sexuality have to do with sitting in a crowd watching a football game?
You are joking right ? i saw it myself early this year at a Saints game at the dome . Constant abuse by people at two male supporters sitting near me who dared to kiss during the half time break. It went on for the rest of the game until they left 5 minutes into 4th quarter.

You don't care yet you're spending your Saturday night on here autopsying the match and the season?

I care because I want to see the club succeed but have lost faith in any magic cure. Is that hard to understand? The list is poor and no coach is going o do it all for us. The players need to get a whole lot better and the age of the list and the loss of players to the bringing in of players won't make a huge difference. I hope I'm wrong but I have lost faith in any of them. We are a club without passion or drive. We are full of administrators wanting a safe pay cheque and the players they have found match their passion.

That sounds like what was probably written 20 years ago. Crowds and tv numbers are still great. I’m sure plenty of kids love the game. My local club numbers are still great. Even better counting girls.
25k average home attendance (including opposition supporters) is great, is it?

YearAttendanceAttendance
HomeAway

Why shouldn't it drop?

Home attendance: 279415​

I only made a couple of games this year. My family don't want to go so I stay and watch on Kayo. I actually find going depressing, it's empty and slightly embarrassing like a party that no one came to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I care because I want to see the club succeed but have lost faith in any magic cure. Is that hard to understand? The list is poor and no coach is going o do it all for us. The players need to get a whole lot better and the age of the list and the loss of players to the bringing in of players won't make a huge difference. I hope I'm wrong but I have lost faith in any of them. We are a club without passion or drive. We are full of administrators wanting a safe pay cheque and the players they have found match their passion.
Yep

I really feel our last 2 years we have nailed the draft - Max King to me was pick 1 last year and Bytel is another who should of been in the top 10 if not for his back and then the year before with Hunter and Coffield will also be outstanding players.
We all know it takes these kids about 3 or 4 years to hit there straps so if we can snare a couple ball winners it will help there development as well as helping the development of the guys who are at the age to turn it on - Billings , Gresham , Marshall , Battle , Steele , Wilkie.
But the main thing now for this team to make finals is to get all our senior players fit - Hannebery , Steven , Carlisle , Webster , Bruce , Membery , Ross , Kent.

With the players named above with Brad Hill , Crouch and Tomlinson it only leaves one spot for best 22.

All these guys will have to fight for that last spot
Geary
Sinclair
Newnes
Dunstan
Acres
Long
McKenzie
Paton
Joyce
Marsh
Austin
Mayo
Phillips
Langlands
Lonie
Savage
Hind
Young
White
Clavarino
Parker

DELIST

Armitage
McCartin
Roberton
Longer
Pierce
Rowe
Rice

Until any player is good you can't really count them as a win though Premo.

Thomlison is only a GOP. He makes Kent look flash.

Until any player is good you can't really count them as a win though Premo.

Thomlison is only a GOP. He makes Kent look flash.
He is not even a GOP

Things are never as bad as they seem.
We finally have people running the club who are good at what they do and need to be successful at it. Almost all our best players are 23 and under, and we have a good core group who we can build a strong team around. We now have a home base which will impress opposition players and captures the hearts of our past players to bring them back to the club. And we are re-building a strong connection to the bayside community through all the extra work he club is doing with local leagues and community groups to bring the passion back to the area.
It's all going to be okay.

I find it ironic that post-Pride Match, people are still getting membership-shamed on the St Kilda BF board.

This is *insert current year*, people.

Yeah, I've never understood the exclusion thing. If you welcome all they might come around. Shutting them out is just petulance. I know some massive fans that don't buy memberships, I have never seen it as my place to ask why they don't or make it a reason to exclude them from talking about the club.

Things are never as bad as they seem.
We finally have people running the club who are good at what they do and need to be successful at it. Almost all our best players are 23 and under, and we have a good core group who we can build a strong team around. We now have a home base which will impress opposition players and captures the hearts of our past players to bring them back to the club. And we are re-building a strong connection to the bayside community through all the extra work he club is doing with local leagues and community groups to bring the passion back to the area.
It's all going to be okay.

It's never as good or as bad as you think, but there are some serious idiots at the club still. They have proven nothing yet. We have replaced Roberton with Wilkie and found a few okay small forwards who aren't game breakers. Marshall and Battle look like they were good gets but we lose Jickey, Pierce and Longer in a 2 year period so it's an upgrade but leaves us vulnerable to injury. We have taken 2 guys who we knew wouldn't play for 12 months in King and Bytel and while the fans get restless they seem to think we have all the patience in the world. Most people are obsessed with King being a champion, not on results but because the thought that what him not being one is too traumatic to contemplate.

We need to get the footy right, no-one cares about a doctor's fancy garden when his patients keep dying.

I apologise for any negativity today, just frustrated.

I'll probably get back on the horse if we have a promising off season.
We all have days like that . Just wait until the draft/trade periods comes , things will pick up then.

Yeah, I've never understood the exclusion thing. If you welcome all they might come around. Shutting them out is just petulance. I know some massive fans that don't buy memberships, I have never seen it as my place to ask why they don't or make it a reason to exclude them from talking about the club.
Who is shut out?

You are joking right ? i saw it myself early this year at a Saints game at the dome . Constant abuse by people at two male supporters sitting near me who dared to kiss during the half time break. It went on for the rest of the game until they left 5 minutes into 4th quarter.
Out of curiosity what did you do about it? I’m not having a go, genuine question. Did you tell those fans to shut up and leave them alone or did you report the seat numbers to the antisocial supporter number that’s displayed on the big screen?
Not that i condone abuse to anyone kissing but personal opinion i don’t feel the need to kiss my wife at half time of the footy. Only ppl who want to make a statement do that, gay or straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back