Autopsy **** you very much, season 2019!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Laundry list of s**t gone wrong.

Recruiting: this will play out over a longer term but the 2019 list was far inferior compared to the 2018 list.

Preseason: as much as surgeries and rehab had an impact, surely this shouldn’t have surprised people in management positions, you know the types of people who earn six figure salaries to plan for that sort of s**t.

Coaching: what the hell happened? Problems from 2018 were seemingly not even worked on in preseason and were only exacerbated by the factors above. Why did we persist with a game plan that was heavily focused on contested ball, clearances, fast play ons, high defensive pressing when that requires a lot of fitness and concentration? The stuff that you get from a preseason that hasn’t gone to s**t.

Selection: why were so many players who were short of a gallop picked? I understand you don’t want to throw young players to the wolves but it’s hard to see what Tom ‘cinder block shoes’ McDonald, Angus ‘can’t bend over’ Brayshaw, Kade Kolodjashnij and co were offering that a young player couldn’t earlier in the season. If you wanted to play a high intensity game plan early in the season wouldn’t it be preferable to have a couple of energetic youngsters than banged up senior players with fast eroding confidence?

The players: selfish and lazy. No camaraderie. No shepherding. No leadership. No encouragement for youngsters who crack in at the contest. No resilience. No pride. No skills. No brains.

The administration: signing Goodwin was a doozy. Pathetic communication with members. Largely absent chairman and CEO. Leaking like a sieve and facing mammoth losses in financial terms and member confidence in one fell swoop.

One year and everything fell to s**t. Thank * it’s over. At least there’s about 6 months off until us fans have to bend over and bite down again for this s**t show of an organisation.

I can't even explain how excited I am to downgrade my membership. Will be the most spiteful energy I've ever directed towards the club.

The club needs to get on the front foot with this and sell microwaveable memberships. They can pretend we're not s**t, attempt to turn things around, try to maintain respectability, etc or be smart and work the angles. Maybe sell raffle tickets with prizes like the opportunity to throw rotten fruit and veg at your favourite player-to-hate, getting to give the news to a player that they've been delisted / traded, writing Goody's next press conference or video for the fans, etc etc. We may be a s**t club but we need to be better at being shitter and maximize these untapped profit streams. Embrace it, Melbourne.

Decided not to buy a membership this year, i was always going to as this would have been 7 consecutive years and even last week considered purchasing one just to ensure i could keep the consecutive years up but i decided the money is better spent on a good bottle of scotch to mask the pain of 2019, i will be back onboard next year but they would want to start better than they did this year.

Last edited:
Decided not to buy a membership this year, i was always gong to as this would have been 7 consecutive years and even last week considered purchasing one just to ensure i could keep the consecutive years up but i decided the money is better spent on a good bottle of scotch to mask the pain of 2019, i will be back onboard next year but they would want to start better than they did this year.

Lets try to start next year off on the right foot by not putting our injured players back on the ground in the preseason, I know it's hard to resist some temptations in life but I feel this is an achievable goal for the club.

2019 wasnt all bad. Think of the meme's from "after the siren"...."we're all hurting just like you"...says a guy who's been at this club for 5 mins. Quality material. 😂

All I have to add is that I sincerely hope in the wake of another heartbreaking defeat that we spend plenty of time reviewing 2019. The coaching panel I mean. Going through every game, identifying the obvious patterns where we made critical errors, and why we repeated them. I hope archive footage allows us to understand ‘why’.

We then need to look at the ‘who’ part of our list to decide who we don’t need, who we do need and put in a strategy to acquire them immediately. And finally ‘what’ we need to do in 2020 to make us a better club.

Pert needs to conduct a review of the coaching program extensively, look at why things are as they are and provide a solution to aid the best possible structure we can have with the clubs employees.

The positive about being so poorly performed is that there are lots of areas that will point you in the direction of why it went wrong and how it went wrong. There’s plenty of room for analysis. Now I sincerely hope that the people in senior positions do have the capability to turn this around and institute this review process.

From Simon Goodwin’s perspective I hope he spends a lot of time reviewing and analysing the information he can related to football and performance, and ensures he has the best around him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pert needs to conduct a review of the coaching program extensively, look at why things are as they are and provide a solution to aid the best possible structure we can have with the clubs employees.

Looking forward to Pert's first press conference in 2020.
"Our aim is not to be a joke of a club, it's to be THE joke."

What do we need to do better next year imo:

1. Get fitter. We looked so slow all year. I know some guys had interrupted pre-season but not everyone did. On this note we need to get rid of/move plodders that aren't in key positions. Case in point Nathan Jones. Get him to 300 games playing FF and say thank you for your service. Draft/trade in some runners to help with this.

2. Change the game plan. Nothing wrong with being contested but we need to be smart about it. Our current game plan relies on near perfect skill execution all the time which we don't have. We need to learn to slow down, switch smartly when required, and be patient when delivering the ball forward. Still be prepared to take the game on but not every single time.

3. Settle on who are our forwards and teach them how to play together and not all lead/go for the same ball. Leave Fritsch there, he isa forward not a defender. Trade/draft a decent small forward if possible.

4. Someone tell Goody to stop playing safe in the media and tell it how it is. No more crap about "the journey" or how the boys are hurting. Don't be afraid to publicly put a rocket up the group and show a bit of character. And please don't mention "our brand" ever again.

5. New captain. Has to be someone who leads from the front and who can string a sentence together for the media. I really like Lever but agree with others here that Gawn is probably the best choice for 2-3 years and then Lever. Sorry but Jones needs to retire and Viney needs to concentrate on his form. No more co-captains.

6. Be ruthless and be mongrels like in 2018. Bring back that hard edge that for some reason we lost this year.

There are probably more things but that will do me four now.

Season felt like a nightmare, kept wondering how it could get worse, and then it did. Some of those losses were just diabolical, and today just reflected our season as a whole.

Was at a birthday thing and the TV room was suddenly filled with dees supporting mates as we had a sniff of a win late in the game, only for the collective groans to be heard later as we conceded that goal and lost the match.

Probably my least enjoyable season as a supporter since the Neeld years, and even then I had blind optimism that we were on the verge, now I have no idea.

Season rating: 3/10

All I have to add is that I sincerely hope in the wake of another heartbreaking defeat that we spend plenty of time reviewing 2019. The coaching panel I mean. Going through every game, identifying the obvious patterns where we made critical errors, and why we repeated them. I hope archive footage allows us to understand ‘why’.

We then need to look at the ‘who’ part of our list to decide who we don’t need, who we do need and put in a strategy to acquire them immediately. And finally ‘what’ we need to do in 2020 to make us a better club.

The positive about being so poorly performed is that there are lots of areas that will point you in the direction of why it went wrong and how it went wrong. There’s plenty of room for analysis. Now I sincerely hope that the people in senior positions do have the capability to turn this around and institute this review process.

From Simon Goodwin’s perspective I hope he spends a lot of time reviewing and analysing the information he can related to football and performance, and ensures he has the best around him.
I hope all that happens too. The only thing that I would add is that any review should be external.

There isn’t a single good reason not to have one... and only very poor reasons not to have one.

Absolute cluster **** of a season.
Pre season from hell with injuries and that didn’t stop once the season started.
Seem the coaches didn’t think any changes were needed tactically. At least they’ve recognised it now.
Skill level seems to have dropped. And ability to stick tackles also seems to have disappeared.
Hopefully a fit list and a recruit or two will help next year. We’ll need a decent tweak with the game plan to.

Season highlights for me:
  • Epic win over Gold Coast and the ensuing celebrations. Goody crying on the field because we beat the Suns by a point. If you weren't moved by that you simply aren't human.
  • May v Hogan trade threads.
  • The "After the game with Goodwin" videos.
Probably missed a few things, so many great moments to choose from.

The club needs to get on the front foot with this and sell microwaveable memberships. They can pretend we're not s**t, attempt to turn things around, try to maintain respectability, etc or be smart and work the angles. Maybe sell raffle tickets with prizes like the opportunity to throw rotten fruit and veg at your favourite player-to-hate, getting to give the news to a player that they've been delisted / traded, writing Goody's next press conference or video for the fans, etc etc. We may be a s**t club but we need to be better at being s**tter and maximize these untapped profit streams. Embrace it, Melbourne.

This is where I'm happy for Richmond fans to give us advise.

This is where I'm happy for Richmond fans to give us advise.

Would love for us to take a leaf our of the Brazil fans' book after they were donked 7-1 at the World Cup before last. That was truly inspiring stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back