Remove this Banner Ad

Pagnoccolo C

Senior List
Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks, Vancouver Canucks
Gowers with 26 and 7 shots on goal. Huge numbers.
Pretty sure Gowers was reported for a sling tackle in the second quarter. Didn’t look like much to me but I’m completely biased and one eyed so I’m really not a good judge.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It struck me reading your post that nobody born after about 1985 would know what these games were like and if they don't get along to suburban footy - especially games at VUWO - they still wouldn't get it. Most of the games they'd see now are under the roof or at the heavily enclosed MCG which never has a gale like the WO has.

I can remember being at many games at the Western Oval (as it was then) where the game was decided in the first quarter or even by the toss. You nearly always kicked with the wind in case it died out late in the day, as it tends to do. If you didn't have at least a 5 goal lead at quarter time you were in trouble.

We often played those games cannily. If we won the toss we could have 4-5 goals on the board half way through the first quarter before the visitors woke up, and then it was just a case of digging in and protecting the lead for the 2nd and final quarters, and hope to extend it in the third. Or if we lost the toss we could stack the defence, chip it around and play as wide as possible forcing lots of throw-ins and scrimmages. Anything to avoid open play and long kicking with the wind. If the visiting side was only up 2-3 goals at QT we were in with a huge chance. Then EJ would kick a barrel from 75m out ...
I loved when we used to put Douggie as the loose man in defense when we kicked against the breeze. He could read the play better than anyone and his skills were sublime.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone know what time/day we play our final this week? Bloody VFL site is hopeless

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2RPuQgY.png

PoeNNx3.png

Gowers with 26 possessions is unusually high for a forward. Three goals four is quite a few scoring shots for a midfielder. Six inside 50s suggest that he definitely rotated between forward and midfield, especially when you factor in the three clearances he won. Giving away seven FA, not ideal. Bevo loved him last year. I can only see him getting games next year if we get a few injuries. He's definitely behind a few others in the pecking order.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Webb and Williams. Their VFL form is promising.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I loved when we used to put Douggie as the loose man in defense when we kicked against the breeze. He could read the play better than anyone and his skills were sublime.
And the wind was often howling in from the west, towards the outer wing so Douggie stayed out on the one wing all match, right under the ricketty old coaches box. Eventually was named the Doug Hawkins wing.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How does Josh Wallis go at VFL level? Still no chance at AFL?
If we didn't have such an enormous amount of inside mid depth, he might have been given a shot on the rookie list, but probably no chance given our current position

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
(C) A PLAYER WHO HAS PLAYED IN AN AFL HOME AND AWAY MATCH AFTER 1 JULY IN THE RELEVANT SEASON WILL BE INELIGIBLE TO PLAY IN VFL SENIOR GRADE FINALS SERIES MATCHES UNLESS THAT PLAYER HAS PLAYED IN A COMBINED TOTAL OF AT LEAST SIX (6) VFL SENIOR GRADE HOME AND AWAY MATCHES IN THE SAME SEASON.
(D) DESPITE ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THIS RULE 19, BUT SUBJECT TO RULE 19 (E), WHERE A CLUB HAS BOTH ITS AFL AND VFL SENIOR TEAMS ENGAGED ON THE SAME WEEKEND, ANY PLAYER MAY BE SELECTED TO PLAY IN THE VFL SENIOR TEAM SO LONG AS THAT PLAYER HAS PLAYED IN AT LEAST ONE AFL OR VFL SENIOR GRADE HOME AND AWAY MATCH IN THAT RELEVANT SEASON.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Looking at the Footscray team this week, it’s bloody hilarious how many half-back flankers are on our list.

Lucas Webb
You will keep fighting for Webb to play half back til the day you die, Fronk. ;) :rainbow:

You will keep fighting for Webb to play half back til the day you die, Fronk. ;) :rainbow:

I know you’re keen for another year on the list for Webb Dannnnnnn.

Doesn’t appear to have the intensity to play at the top level. Not in the midfield mayhem anyway.

Keen on your thoughts on where you might see him fitting on the list.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
I know you’re keen for another year on the list for Webb Dannnnnnn.

Doesn’t appear to have the intensity to play at the top level. Not in the midfield mayhem anyway.

Keen on your thoughts on where you might see him fitting on the list.
Eh, I'd understand either way. I think he's a superior player with superior talent to Porter but I know the situations aren't analogous.

In my opinion his best chance at making it is as a forward, as he was as a junior. I think he's had a few reasonable games there previously at AFL level, but it's never really been persisted with. I think his game has clearly elevated this season despite recurrent injuries and in my mind he wouldn't be out of place on the rookie list.

That said, I wouldn't say I'm massively confident in him and I wouldn't say I'm crying out for him to stick around. I'd be content whether he does or doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back