Congratulations to Nathan Buckley, the players, staff and club

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
Geelongs record off a bye & win/loss pattern has us primed for a win

Cats with barely no injuries all year and a Golden home advantage v Pies who have done it tough with literally the opposite luck to Handbaggers with the exception of being the team with the best away record & beating most top 8 teams in the AFL ( tough draw right? )

Floreat Pica.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
I am hating the commentary around us now getting the double chance, by the media. They keep referring to us a been "gifted or stolen or lucky" to be in the top 4.
Considering our tough draw, injuries and suspension of Stephenson, for us to keep our position in the 8, whilst remaining in or around the top 4, makes us more then deserving of a top 4 finish, and we got it!!

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am hating the commentary around us now getting the double chance, by the media. They keep referring to us a been "gifted or stolen or lucky" to be in the top 4.
Considering our tough draw, injuries and suspension of Stephenson, for us to keep our position in the 8, whilst remaining in or around the top 4, makes us more then deserving of a top 4 finish, and we got it!!
Don't sweat it mate - the idiot media always pitch to the lowest common denominator.

And that of course is those benighted Troglodytes otherwise known as the mindless Collingwood haters.

The media are well aware of the quality and depth of our list and are fearfull of what we can produce with even a halfway decent run with injuries.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we beat Geelong to win ourselves home Prelim , and Brisbane also win and als earn a home Prelim we could see a Brisbane v Collingwood Grand Final could be Bucks sweetest moment in footy we’re we to get up

Our danger is the one game in a month , which has tripped up Geelong and Adelaide the last few years , with the end of season bye and finals bye for a first week win

1 game in a month for banged up sides is a blessing imo (which I would say we are).
Teams like Adelaide and Geelong who had healthy lists hate it as it helps give opponents healing time and also drops match fitness vs those who play all finals.

Great effort by the club to make top 4, 2 years running with major injury lists even if our games have been Jekyll and Hyde in nature this year.

I agree that our best footy is near unstoppable (the fast quick movement minimal chipping style similar to last year). However I get very concerned we want to play a slow chip style that leaves us vulnerable.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
1 game in a month for banged up sides is a blessing imo (which I would say we are).
Teams like Adelaide and Geelong who had healthy lists hate it as it helps give opponents healing time and also drops match fitness vs those who play all finals.

Great effort by the club to make top 4, 2 years running with major injury lists even if our games have been Jekyll and Hyde in nature this year.

I agree that our best footy is near unstoppable (the fast quick movement minimal chipping style similar to last year). However I get very concerned we want to play a slow chip style that leaves us vulnerable.

I think this game style thing is a bit of a myth.

We played a similar style last year, but the difference was our forward line was functioning a bit better which led to less chipping and more attacking.

But the style was the same. That’s generally what we do. I guess you could nickname it...almost like Slingshot anticipation?

We’d chip around the back half while the forwards set up in a way that creates the opportunity to go forward and then attack. But last year, the forward line was functioning so well there wasn’t much chipping or switching required.

Don’t forget, last year, it was our backline that was decimated by injury. This year it’s been the forward line and midfield. Which are ultimately the key components of the style we play because it’s those 2 areas creating the opportunities for the backs to slingshot.

So this year we’ve been missing literally 4 of our main targets at various stages and for big chunks of the year. We have 3 out of those 4 playing against Geelong in 2 weeks.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think this game style thing is a bit of a myth.

We played a similar style last year, but the difference was our forward line was functioning a bit better which led to less chipping and more attacking.

But the style was the same. That’s generally what we do. I guess you could nickname it...almost like Slingshot anticipation?

We’d chip around the back half while the forwards set up in a way that creates the opportunity to go forward and then attack. But last year, the forward line was functioning so well there wasn’t much chipping or switching required.

Don’t forget, last year, it was our backline that was decimated by injury. This year it’s been the forward line and midfield. Which are ultimately the key components of the style we play because it’s those 2 areas creating the opportunities for the backs to slingshot.

So this year we’ve been missing literally 4 of our main targets at various stages and for big chunks of the year. We have 3 out of those 4 playing against Geelong in 2 weeks.

It's not a myth we have played 2 clearly defined and deliberate styles this year. All year, within the same games too.

Pendles has even admitted that there had been an over correction in regards to the change in style.

Repeat of last year.

15 wins

Needed to win last game and (I think) needed another result to go our way to make it

Horrible injuries

Started finding form right at the end of the season

Richmond were the form team and everyone thought they were unbeatable

It’s all falling into place

Um ...

... but we really don’t want a repeat of last year, do we? :eek:

#9lostgrandfinalsinmylifetimeisenoughthanks

SprooseMoose

Team Captain
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well done to Bucks and crew! Even though other teams results ended up locking us in, we got there ourselves and you can't argue that we don't deserve it. So proud!

You get the sense that there's a real sense of belief within the group, and with players starting to come back from injury, everything finally seems to be going our way.

Me and my Hawks-supporting wife (I know!) had some Collingwood-hating mates (again, I know!) over to watch the game last night. They support Richmond and Carlton and it was so satisfying watching them realise that we're back in the top four, as well as hearing them complain about the "armchair ride we always get from the umpires" (free kick counts mean everything!).

Now let's get number 16!

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
We can?

We are.

I had a Geelong mate and Essendon brother both say they want to play us in finals. Everyone is underestimating us. Reckon for our good because we are as dangerous a team in the league when it clicks.

I had a Geelong mate and Essendon brother both say they want to play us in finals. Everyone is underestimating us. Reckon for our good because we are as dangerous a team in the league when it clicks.

Few would disagree. The bolded bit is the kicker! :)

I actually don't mind this thread as if you are to take a forward from any other team currently in the 8 for 10 weeks it would be interesting how they would have gone. GWS is the only other team that has really been affected by injuries as much as we have.

Finishing top four albeit relying on others is a bonus and now it is all in our hands.

Really annoyed as I will miss the first finals game.:(

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I actually don't mind this thread as if you are to take a forward from any other team currently in the 8 for 10 weeks it would be interesting how they would have gone. GWS is the only other team that has really been affected by injuries as much as we have.

Finishing top four albeit relying on others is a bonus and now it is all in our hands.

Really annoyed as I will miss the first finals game.:(

Hate to say it but Essendon have had a horror run. Joe Daniher especially.

Hate to say it but Essendon have had a horror run. Joe Daniher especially.

Not a big fan of Daniher runs hot and gold, Heppell and co only past month - GWS are the ones that have been harder hit than us with real key players.

Nuffsaid

Team Captain
Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m torn between the feeling of amazement that despite how much rubbish footy I’ve watched this year we are top 4, and being super impressed with how we have fought the odds undermanned most weeks, to now be a 1 in 6 chance of a flag.

Very happy with top 4, and congrats are in order not just because of circumstances during the H&A season, but importantly it gives us the best chance of finals success.

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Aside from gratefulness for Clarko I didn't know what to feel last night after the Hawthorn result. After one of the more frustrating home and away seasons in recent memory, we are actually top 4 and barring something extraordinary happening today we get an MCG final v the cats for Pendles' 300th. Now the real stuff begins. But certainly the right end of the season to be hitting some form.

5_Flockhart

Senior List
Apr 30, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm going to be on the west coast of Italy for the game. About 2 hours south of Naples. Unlikely that I'm going to be able to find anywhere that will be showing it. Unless by some miracle someone here knows of a place near Palinuro that shows AFL? Haha. Looks like I will be watching it on the phone. The wife is already thrilled at the prospect of me staring at my phone for 2 hours.

Out of curiosity why did you book a holiday in September?

Back