Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
The 2019 All Australian team
The selectors opted for three key forwards, with Jack Darling and Tom Hawkins accompanying Jeremy Cameron, while Brisbane's Charlie Cameron was rewarded for his 54 goals. Charlie Cameron established himself as the game's best small forward, kicking four goals or more six times and repeatedly creating something from nothing.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Three Lions named in All Australian team
Three Brisbane Lions players were named in the 2019 All Australian team, receiving their first blazer at the Palais Theatre in Melbourne earlier this evening. Lachie Neale was named as a rover, Harris Andrews at full back and Charlie Cameron in the forward pocket.

Cameron is in his second season at the Lions and taken the competition by storm as one of the most exciting, dynamic players in the forward line. After missing most of the 2018 season with a lisfranc injury, the 25-year-old played all 22 regular games for the Lions this year. Cameron booted 54 goals this season, including a career-high six goals against Gold Coast in Round 21.

“I feel really proud to receive my first blazer alongside Harris and Lachie,” Cameron said. “I love this team and can’t wait to see what could happen over the next couple of weeks.”

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
All-Australia Confidential: Charlie Cameron’s celebration
Charlie Cameron might’ve done his best audition at an attempt to gain some sponsorship heading into finals.

CHARLIE’S SPONSORSHIP PLEA

It’s the celebration taking the footy world by storm. There’s no doubt Brisbane Lions small forward Charlie Cameron’s motorbike goal celebration is making an appearance at Auskick and junior football across the country. But when quizzed by club legend Jonathan Brown over how the celebration begun, Cameron was very sheepish over his new-found goal celebration.

“I found something on the internet. Just trying to make (it) my own,” Cameron said on Fox Footy. When asked whether he rides a motorbike, Cameron revealed he didn’t — but made a pitch for a sponsorship deal from a leading motorcycle company. “Nah (I don’t ride one). Hopefully Harley (Davidson) can sort me out something,” he said.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Indigenous stars to shine in AFL finals
CHARLIE CAMERON. The Brisbane spark has booted 54 goals in an All Australian season. With dazzling speed, uncanny goal-kicking and an inherent love for tackling, Cameron is the complete package and arguably the key factor in Brisbane's revival.

Injury inspires Cameron's form AFL's Lions

From the outside looking in, it appeared to be an AFL career low point for Charlie Cameron. But the livewire Brisbane forward has credited a six month injury layoff in 2018 with helping him find "career best" form this year, sparking the Lions' unlikely title tilt.

Cameron's first season with Brisbane initially lived up to the hype following his high profile move from Adelaide, kicking 17 goals in the first 10 games of 2018. However, Cameron cut a disconsolate figure when he was struck down with a season-ending foot injury the next round against North Melbourne.

Cameron could only look on helplessly as Brisbane finished 15th on the 2018 AFL ladder with a poor 5-17 record. It was a far cry from the dizzying heights of his time with the Crows where barely 12 months earlier he had kicked a then career-best five goals in Adelaide's 61-point preliminary final win over Geelong to book a grand final showdown with Richmond.

Yet Cameron credited his time on the Lions' sidelines with propelling him to his 2019 heights. Small forward Cameron has been the key to Brisbane's remarkable resurgence, sealing a rare top two finish for the Lions who have earned their first finals campaign in 10 years.

Brisbane will host Richmond in a qualifying final at the Gabba on Saturday night after Cameron's 2019 heroics which included 54 majors for the year and All-Australian selection.

"Last season started pretty well but I got injured halfway through and it was a bit frustrating," Cameron told AAP. "But having six months off with the injury really helped me develop as a player, watching the game off field was different to being on the ground. "It helped me this year come back and influence games. I feel I have done that well."

Cameron may have sparked the Crows' stunning 2017 grand final berth but he admitted it was hard to shine during his time at Adelaide. At Brisbane, Cameron hasn't had that problem in a young Lions forward line since finally finding full fitness.

"This is the best I have ever played," Cameron said. "At Adelaide I never really had that opportunity because I was behind guys like Eddie Betts, Tex Walker, Josh Jenkins and Tom Lynch. "Here I have had more of an opportunity with a younger forward line - I think I have made the most of my opportunity."

After exceeding his own expectations in 2019, Cameron is daring to dream about how far the Lions can go in their rare finals campaign. "After winning nine in a row this year there is a lot of confidence," he said. "I don't want to say we can go all the way but I believe we can match it with the best."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He was destined to be a Lion. Whitey's influence would've helped:D

edit: The above video of Charlie was just on Fox......as was Darryl White. Both excellent segments

Last edited:

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
The Brisbane Lions are the best team, with the best player, in the AFL — and they're still getting better (Dean Bilton)
The Brisbane Lions are quite comfortable living under the radar.

Charlie Cameron is the headline act and is leading the Lions' goalkicking, but he's just a small part of what makes their system work.

The Lions are among the best three teams for marks inside 50, and in Eric Hipwood and Lincoln McCarthy have two players tied at the top of the list for ground ball gets inside 50. Without labouring the point, it's all about balance.

Daniel McStay pushes up to the wings and leads the Lions for contested marks. Oscar McInerney is an immovable object and brings the wee lads into play by being gigantic and hard working. Cam Rayner still hasn't quite worked out what he is yet, but he demands attention both from viewers and defenders.

Then you've got Charlie, who can operate as a lead up forward as well as maniacally buzz around.
1594177815684.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back