Preview Changes for the Elimination Final vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a reason B2B is so rare, but I thought our momentum coming off a flag, proving the doubters wrong & playing in front of 50k every 2nd week at a new home would get us up for another tilt.

When we needed our best efforts in recent close losses, our mental and physical application haven't been at 2018 finals levels. We've been exposed this year, rarely looked dominant for more than a quarter or two and haven't found a way to win against well-coached sides.

Wouldn't be surprised if an early finals exit helped us recharge for next year, though.

I think we’ll be out in the first week. More than happy to be wrong about that but that’s just the feeling I have.

I reckon we get the Thursday night game. I'm busy that night too so wouldn't be able to go, might be a good thing as I am not feeling optimistic.

Hopefully Simmo doesn't oustsmart himself and just picks the same team as the last time we played bombers, then instructs them to play the same way (tag Saad, box out Tippa).

Did anyone notice who our two best players were on the day? Gaff and Sheppard. Shep nearly broke himself in half in one way play and was probably lucky to avoid some broken ribs. He was throwing himself into spoils and Gaff had 37 touches and was everywhere, working his backside off.

We all know what those two have in common.

Really disappointing game. If Brisbane dont do us a huge favour tomorrow and we end up 5th then it's pretty much season over you would expect. Cant see us coming from 5th to win the Premiership.

This was noticable on the ground. Other players shirked and didn't go hard when they needed to.

After watching the Beagles a number of players put their hands up. Schofield, Ah Chee and dare I say it Vardy had really good games.

I would say Vardy did his chances of a return, no harm today, he was very good..

I reckon we get the Thursday night game. I'm busy that night too so wouldn't be able to go, might be a good thing as I am not feeling optimistic.

Hopefully Simmo doesn't oustsmart himself and just picks the same team as the last time we played bombers, then instructs them to play the same way (tag Saad, box out Tippa).

yep word on the street is thursday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL will do their best to give us the Thurs night because they will still be guaranteed a sell out with a s**t time and day. Plus who cares if half of Perth is headed to the game and home from work at the same time - as long as the AFL makes some $$$$ that is what is most important .

AFL will do their best to give us the Thurs night because they will still be guaranteed a sell out with a s**t time and day. Plus who cares if half of Perth is headed to the game and home from work at the same time - as long as the AFL makes some $$$$ that is what is most important .

Also the travelling side will need the longest recovery time if they win.

Don’t be surprised if Simpson ignores good performances today from Ah Chee and Schofield and to a lesser extent Vardy.

Simpson will trot out the same line, ‘We will back our players in’ and when we lose to Essendon because Barrass drops even more marks or handballs without looking or Duggan kicks straight to an opposition player or Nelson wrestles a player instead of watching the ball or Shuey gets his individual turnovers up to 10 etc. Simpson will be his usual glib self at the press conference saying, ‘There are areas to improve on’ or ‘Gee, Essendon played well today’ or ‘It is a tight competition.’

Crooked Gillian is the type of campaigner to give us a Sunday night game followed by a Friday night. Don't expect any favours

Anyone else think simpson had no idea in the press conference last night too. Nothing but nervous laughs and were in its
I think he's trying to remain positive. The players would be devastated after that performance and know what it means for the premiership defence. Simpsons job as the leader is to pull them together is to remind them of the things they do well, and use the negatives as learning points for the finals. If he loses his s**t publicly, there's a fair chance the players will say "* this s**t, what's the point?" If that happens, we won't get near Essendon. Sure, everyone wants to tear strips off and it might make people outside the group feel good at pointing the finger, but in reality it'll do nothing for future performance.

I think he's trying to remain positive. The players would be devastated after that performance and know what it means for the premiership defence. Simpsons job as the leader is to pull them together is to remind them of the things they do well, and use the negatives as learning points for the finals. If he loses his s**t publicly, there's a fair chance the players will say "fu** this s**t, what's the point?" If that happens, we won't get near Essendon. Sure, everyone wants to tear strips off and it might make people outside the group feel good at pointing the finger, but in reality it'll do nothing for future performance.

That's the thing. If they a hurting why keep doing the thing that is hurting them?

I was disappointed with the Richmond loss but I respected the effort they put in. You would think a close loss like that would fire you up and make you want to make amends. Then we put up one of our worst performance of the year. Where is the logic?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back