Review Finals Baby!!!! Look out Plastics...here we come! (Bulldogs 121 d Crows 87)

Seriously though, Rhylee West showed some exciting flashes of play. He did creative little taps and quick handpasses, some of which might not have even got on the stats sheet but they showed he has a very high awareness of what's happening around him. Hard running, vision, intelligent play, quick decision making, quick hands ... remind you of someone else who started his career in jumper #14 about 26 years ago?

Despite his pedigree he's also got some mongrel in him. Had a good old wrestle with Atkins in the second half. Clearly lets others know he's around, in the mould of Libba, Bailey Smith, Minno, etc. We need a few like that. Don't mess with them Doggies.

I'm not sure if he'll play finals but I'll have every confidence in him if he does. As I said earlier I reckon he could play every game next year (barring injuries). We have another 200 gamer on our books.

dogspur

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No use picking on the defenders too much, we didn't have our big gorilla playing today. Trengove is important to our structure, and gives us someone who can play on the powerful units.

If anyone has to be singled out, I'd be looking at coach's pet Richards again. 11 disposals at 63% efficiency, 2 tackles, 0 goals. Story of his season, second year blues.
JJ also had a poor kicking day.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m horrified to see that Duryea’s name was missing from the best players. He was our best defender today. Was in bloody everything. Cordy did some good things early, but the one on one’s are a real worry. I think Trengove has to play in 2 weeks time. Don’t know if I’d swap him with Cordy or Young. Thought Lewis made some mistakes today, like that dropped uncontested mark that lead to a Crows goal in the third, wish he would mark those on his chest. A lot to like though, thought he was solid overall.

Smith is a ripper. Love the year this kid is having, super. West had a great day too, also watching the Bont’s kicking into our forward’s is some of the best in the league. Really amazing to watch. Crozier is super too. Love his marking and defensive work. Must pay some homage to Hunter today too. I was on the wing, and seeing his work so close up, gee he gives us so much. It was also great to see Macrae’s snap goal. Good to see he’s having more shots!

English had a great game too. He really is deceiving as it looks like he’s dominating the hit outs, then you see the stats and go, what the hell? Around the ground, he is brilliant. Happy times. We beat GWS, then hopefully get Richmond at the G

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No use picking on the defenders too much, we didn't have our big gorilla playing today. Trengove is important to our structure, and gives us someone who can play on the powerful units.

If anyone has to be singled out, I'd be looking at coach's pet Richards again. 11 disposals at 63% efficiency, 2 tackles, 0 goals. Story of his season, second year blues.
JJ also had a poor kicking day.

Wow. 24 hours make a difference.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lets fight GWS supporters.

BU57MsKCUAAk5sG.jpg

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I really having trouble knowing where to look. Dogs board, Hawks Board, Crows Board, Port Board, GWS’s couple of posts.

It’s going to be a long, magnificent night!
Hawks board is compulsory reading because of the saltiness. It took them about 2 minutes to give up on the game. Then it became a rant on how they were robbed in round 2, how much umpires favour the dogs, how much the dogs throw the ball and get away with it and how good Hawthorn are and how they are set to rule the world. Absolute comedy gold.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
West: Looked like a natural at the level, kicked a goal and was important in our early dominance of the game in applying forward pressure. Going to be great for us.

English: Was jumping all over Jacobs in the centre bounces but got out-muscled in around the ground taps. Took a couple of important contested marks around the ground and once lead out from full forward to mark and goal in the second half while resting forward. Overall a good game, was part of our early midfield dominance.

Smith: Great game, 10 contested disposals only behind Macrae/Bont/Dunkley which is no shame. Made some really important short passes and was a great link player through the middle of the ground. Busted through at least 3 tackles that I saw first-hand, and he is only going to get more beast-like in that regard.

Lipinski: 8 tackles only behind Bont (10) which is no shame and 2 goals. Spent more time camped in F50 this week and not as much time in the guts. Made a couple of really classy passes to Bailey Dale which gave the defender no chance of even being in the frame for a spoil.

Thanks B2B , it’s bloody exciting to assemble so many talented boys like we have.
In my 50 plus years following this club , never seen so many potential guns arrive at the one time.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah think were a big chance although they will much better than 2 weeks ago. I must put my hand up before the bye I suggested we needed a mini rebuild in the forward and backline and another ruck to support Tim. What would I know in Bevo we believe the only other reincarnation from the dead than that I know of was JC.

Spectre

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2008
Clayton Meth Labs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting presser from Bevo:

- You could see the relaxation in the body language. Making finals was huge for him, definitely felt like he was trying to confirm (even if only to himself) that he and the team still have the mojo.
- When discussing our injury list, specifically mentioned the good shape we're in compared to 'usual'. Also specifically mentioned Caleb as being the main one to be missing from our usual senior footy roster (best 22) and how he was in AA contention - suppose that's a strong hint that Bevo really wants him back, and when he returns, Bevo will probably be deploying him in the backline first up. Mentioned Libba might be back if we go deep enough in finals (ditto Caleb). Wally is confirmed done for the year. Dicko was also mentioned, but slightly separately - not clear where he's at, and if he'll be back for finals.
- When discussing forward line, was very much a balanced "everyone is finally gelling together" assessment, rather than singling anyone out (even though the question was specifically about Bailey Dale's renaissance). Seems like he's taking a holistic view about contributions there (and maybe hosing BD down a bit, so that he doesn't get too carried away). Did mention that they've had heaps of faith in BD matching the promise that he'd shown prior to his injuries, so reckon we'll do everything we can to re-sign him.
- Specifically mentioned the "new identity" we've established for ourselves since the bye. Not clear whether it took a bit longer than expected for the boys to properly execute the plan that Bevo had for them from the get go, or that he's been tinkering as we've gone along. Or both.
- For anyone questioning our involvement and matches in the Rat, Bevo is definitely not one of them. Most definitive answer to any question was "we love coming here". Politics or not, that fixture is here to stay (and we've bought in to making it our fortress).

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seriously though, Rhylee West showed some exciting flashes of play. He did creative little taps and quick handpasses, some of which might not have even got on the stats sheet but they showed he has a very high awareness of what's happening around him. Hard running, vision, intelligent play, quick decision making, quick hands ... remind you of someone else who started his career in jumper #14 about 26 years ago?

Despite his pedigree he's also got some mongrel in him. Had a good old wrestle with Atkins in the second half. Clearly lets others know he's around, in the mould of Libba, Bailey Smith, Minno, etc. We need a few like that. Don't mess with them Doggies.

I'm not sure if he'll play finals but I'll have every confidence in him if he does. As I said earlier I reckon he could play every game next year (barring injuries). We have another 200 gamer on our books.

I wasclooking at Rhylee in warm up and could not believe how strong and thick set he was in legs. He will be very strong in the contests and we could have another beauty here.

Interesting presser from Bevo:

- You could see the relaxation in the body language. Making finals was huge for him, definitely felt like he was trying to confirm (even if only to himself) that he and the team still have the mojo.
- When discussing our injury list, specifically mentioned the good shape we're in compared to 'usual'. Also specifically mentioned Caleb as being the main one to be missing from our usual senior footy roster (best 22) and how he was in AA contention - suppose that's a strong hint that Bevo really wants him back, and when he returns, Bevo will probably be deploying him in the backline first up. Mentioned Libba might be back if we go deep enough in finals (ditto Caleb). Wally is confirmed done for the year. Dicko was also mentioned, but slightly separately - not clear where he's at, and if he'll be back for finals.
- When discussing forward line, was very much a balanced "everyone is finally gelling together" assessment, rather than singling anyone out (even though the question was specifically about Bailey Dale's renaissance). Seems like he's taking a holistic view about contributions there (and maybe hosing BD down a bit, so that he doesn't get too carried away). Did mention that they've had heaps of faith in BD matching the promise that he'd shown prior to his injuries, so reckon we'll do everything we can to re-sign him.
- Specifically mentioned the "new identity" we've established for ourselves since the bye. Not clear whether it took a bit longer than expected for the boys to properly execute the plan that Bevo had for them from the get go, or that he's been tinkering as we've gone along. Or both.
- For anyone questioning our involvement and matches in the Rat, Bevo is definitely not one of them. Most definitive answer to any question was "we love coming here". Politics or not, that fixture is here to stay (and we've bought in to making it our fortress).
Also had a chuckle at his mention of the bye - “Everyone gets it - just like last time.”

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was at the game today and now watching the replay. Sometimes we get carried away with our blinkered views and only see the negatives we want to see and are blind to the positives that don’t suit our opinions.

Zaine is classic example. I’ve been a critic of Zaine this year. He over commits to zoning and gets out positioned too easily. But today he won plenty of contests, including a couple against Walker in the third - the one he lost many defenders get worked under the ball by the forward - and spoiled a lot of balls in the first half in particular and chased , tackled and pressured well. Yes he was outmarked by the smaller Jones a couple of times but he did plenty right that his critics ( and I’ve been one) choose not to acknowledge.

We play a team defense where we all take turns defending whoever is closest. Zaine does well in that system and did well in that area today. Walker didn’t kick 5 on him. The dubious free was against Hunter and had nothing to do with Cordy. And two junk time goals in the last when we pulled up stumps to preserve our bodies ain’t a hanging offence. Plenty in the crowd were happy with Cordy today. Others will always disagree.

EDIT : Tex was on Young for his fourth goal - Zaine blocked out of contest by Fogarty. Just saw it on replay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I looking at Rhylee in warm and could not believe how strong and thick set he was in legs. He will be very strong in the contests and we could have another beauty here.
How unreal would it be if Scott’s son won a premiership medal in his first year? :openmouth:

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The last team to miss the finals for three successive seasons after winning a flag stays with Hawthorn for 1979, 1980, 1981. And you can keep it Hawks. See you in September. Oh...no we won't.

Wonder how Bevo’s mate Barrett is feeling tonight?

We were supposed to miss the finals three years in a row after a flag.

Back