The 'Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope the seats where the decking or whatever they call it are reinstated for the 2 Brisbane finals so they can squeeze in up to 40k for each final, it'd be criminal if Stadiums Queensland don't do that

I hope the seats where the decking or whatever they call it are reinstated for the 2 Brisbane finals so they can squeeze in up to 40k for each final, it'd be criminal if Stadiums Queensland don't do that

Isn't that where the pool is for the cricket. Can they get that out in time?

At the same time, if BL are trying to make that part of the Brisbane game experience, it'd be good to keep so those who perhaps haven't watched a game there see it and are enticed. Get rid of the big advertising behind the benches first.

Been confirmed by the Lions that the Verandah is staying. And how would BL compensate for the loss of their sponsor’s exposure should the bench screens be removed?

Been confirmed by the Lions that the Verandah is staying. And how would BL compensate for the loss of their sponsor’s exposure should the bench screens be removed?
Reduce the sponsorship cost? Offer something else? Better still write it into the contract from the beginning that for Finals it's not there to increase capacity. From what I've seen it's always the same as the fence anyway.

More likely showground will be site. After Olympics converted to rectangular for origin matches.
Perth Stadium cost $1.6 billion for a 60k stadium. Spending anywhere near that amount for a stadium that hosts a game a year would be farcical. Especially when Lang Park already holds over 50k and is on the same side of the river as the showgrounds. It would be marginally beneficial at best compared to what we already have, at an enormous price tag.

There really is no ideal location for an olympic sized athletics stadium in Brisbane.

I would say the Gabba would make the most sense provided its logistically feasible. It already has year-round tenancy, and if the Lions can bed down an extended period of success, then both teams would warrant increasing the capacity of the stadium. Combine this with the fact that the stadium is already in need of an upgrade to bring it up to scratch with the rest of the test cricket venues in Australia, as well as the fact the government is installing better infrastructure in terms of the cross river rail to the ground.

Upgrading Lang Park is not suitable as it does not have the correct dimensions for Olympic athletics as far as I'm aware.

The only other alternative I could really think of would be a new stadium intended to be converted into a boutique south side rectangular stadium after the completion of the Olympics. Depends on the feasibility of it (probably unreasonable), however soccer and union up here both want more boutique facilities, as Lang Park is massive relative to their attendance pull. Combine this with a prospective second Brisbane based league licence, and a south side team at least creates a point of difference (however I doubt the NRL would want to wait over a decade before bringing in the next Brisbane team). Again, it obviously depends on the costs of reducing the capacity to 25-30k following the use for the Olympics, which is probably unrealistic.

QEII is the other possibility. Already an athletics stadium, already 50k capacity or thereabouts AFAIK. Quite a way out of the city though so it depends on how close in the CBD everything needs to be. Might need some public transport infrastructure upgrades too, as it's quite a way from the train line.

Perth Stadium cost $1.6 billion for a 60k stadium. Spending anywhere near that amount for a stadium that hosts a game a year would be farcical. Especially when Lang Park already holds over 50k and is on the same side of the river as the showgrounds. It would be marginally beneficial at best compared to what we already have, at an enormous price tag.

There really is no ideal location for an olympic sized athletics stadium in Brisbane.

I would say the Gabba would make the most sense provided its logistically feasible. It already has year-round tenancy, and if the Lions can bed down an extended period of success, then both teams would warrant increasing the capacity of the stadium. Combine this with the fact that the stadium is already in need of an upgrade to bring it up to scratch with the rest of the test cricket venues in Australia, as well as the fact the government is installing better infrastructure in terms of the cross river rail to the ground.

Upgrading Lang Park is not suitable as it does not have the correct dimensions for Olympic athletics as far as I'm aware.

The only other alternative I could really think of would be a new stadium intended to be converted into a boutique south side rectangular stadium after the completion of the Olympics. Depends on the feasibility of it (probably unreasonable), however soccer and union up here both want more boutique facilities, as Lang Park is massive relative to their attendance pull. Combine this with a prospective second Brisbane based league licence, and a south side team at least creates a point of difference (however I doubt the NRL would want to wait over a decade before bringing in the next Brisbane team). Again, it obviously depends on the costs of reducing the capacity to 25-30k following the use for the Olympics, which is probably unrealistic.

QEII is the other possibility. Already an athletics stadium, already 50k capacity or thereabouts AFAIK. Quite a way out of the city though so it depends on how close in the CBD everything needs to be. Might need some public transport infrastructure upgrades too, as it's quite a way from the train line.
An 80,000 seat stadium in Brisbane just makes no sense full stop. The Gabba will never get filled for Lions games, Heat games and test cricket outside of potentially day one of an Ashes series.

Building and Olympic stadium just to convert it straight away into a boutique stadium straight away is absolute madness

An 80,000 seat stadium in Brisbane just makes no sense full stop. The Gabba will never get filled for Lions games, Heat games and test cricket outside of potentially day one of an Ashes series.

Building and Olympic stadium just to convert it straight away into a boutique stadium straight away is absolute madness
Don't get me wrong - I completely agree agree, hence the "no ideal location for an olympic sized athletics stadium in Brisbane" comment. I think the Olympics would be pretty pointless to host here. Massive money drain as has been demonstrated regularly from all the recent games. Government seems pretty hellbent on going after it though. If it's happening, it needs to be done in one way or another.

They're talking about a 60k stadium being acceptable rather than an 80k.

60k Gabba is still too big IMO, but if the Lions maintain their success over the longer term then I can see a capacity upgrade being warranted. Gabba is also fairly central, and will be pretty easy to get to after the CRR upgrade (hopefully).

Lang Park would warrant it the most, however the dimensions of it are obviously incompatible.

Boutique stadium is just addressing the other possibility, however I also mentioned that the cost will likely be exorbitant for what the end product is, so won't make much sense.

A brand new 80k stadium for only origin would be even more pointless I think. less than 30k capacity upgrade on Lang Park, and useless year round otherwise.

QEII is the only other real option, but as I mentioned it's a mile away, and does not have great public transport infrastructure as far as I'm aware.

There really is no good option. I just think Gabba makes "the most sense" out of a bunch of poor choices, as at least it is central, will be connected and is in need of an upgrade already.

Don't get me wrong - I completely agree agree, hence the "no ideal location for an olympic sized athletics stadium in Brisbane" comment. I think the Olympics would be pretty pointless to host here. Massive money drain as has been demonstrated regularly from all the recent games. Government seems pretty hellbent on going after it though. If it's happening, it needs to be done in one way or another.

They're talking about a 60k stadium being acceptable rather than an 80k.

60k Gabba is still too big IMO, but if the Lions maintain their success over the longer term then I can see a capacity upgrade being warranted. Gabba is also fairly central, and will be pretty easy to get to after the CRR upgrade (hopefully).

Lang Park would warrant it the most, however the dimensions of it are obviously incompatible.

Boutique stadium is just addressing the other possibility, however I also mentioned that the cost will likely be exorbitant for what the end product is, so won't make much sense.

A brand new 80k stadium for only origin would be even more pointless I think. less than 30k capacity upgrade on Lang Park, and useless year round otherwise.

QEII is the only other real option, but as I mentioned it's a mile away, and does not have great public transport infrastructure as far as I'm aware.

There really is no good option. I just think Gabba makes "the most sense" out of a bunch of poor choices, as at least it is central, will be connected and is in need of an upgrade already.
Australia can’t host the Olympics again. Only city that can do it not at a ridiculous cost is Melbourne but the Olympic committee are hell bent on Brisbane

Australia can’t host the Olympics again. Only city that can do it not at a ridiculous cost is Melbourne but the Olympic committee are hell bent on Brisbane
I agree that we shouldn't, as I mentioned before. The Olympics is an economic pit. The QLD Government, however, seem to be very actively pursuing it.

They want it in Brisbane because they want to hold it in June/July, but want a Summer-like climate, as far as I can remember.

I agree that we shouldn't, as I mentioned before. The Olympics is an economic pit. The QLD Government, however, seem to be very actively pursuing it.

They want it in Brisbane because they want to hold it in June/July, but want a Summer-like climate, as far as I can remember.
Sunny one day beautiful the next?

As much as I want to experience an Olympics in Australia I would hate to see the economic drain. Melbourne could do it fairly cheaply but they won’t get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. The QLD government, regardless of party, have had an incredibly silly set of priorities for decades now, and this is just the latest round of foolishness. But I'll save the rest of my ire for the politics thread.

As everyone knows by now, The Gabba is going to be the venue for the Grand Final. There's still a bit of work to be done but there's been surprisingly very little official updates from The Gabba's website and socials. Especially around the removal of seats at bay 13 for unknown reasons, only to be re-instated (but still closed to patrons) in the last few weeks and works around the media suites that started in July

As everyone knows by now, The Gabba is going to be the venue for the Grand Final. There's still a bit of work to be done but there's been surprisingly very little official updates from The Gabba's website and socials. Especially around the removal of seats at bay 13 for unknown reasons, only to be re-instated (but still closed to patrons) in the last few weeks and works around the media suites that started in July
Will be finished by October

Are they replacing some of the seats as part of the upgrade? In some areas of the ground (mainly on the top deck) there's areas of missing seating, the newest area is 2 bays worth of missing seats on the top deck of the Southern Wing near the interchange benches towards the back of the stand. Meanwhile Bay 13 on level 1, which was missing seats for a period of time before getting new seats recently appears to be occupied by patrons for the first time since the BBL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back