Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was referring to Nyhuis in the post, But I agree, McCarthy could be more dangerous with his disposals. He is one of our really good kicks. He should be able to spot up a target in space especially in the forward 50.
Hughes kicking backwards all the time, when we have no outlet for the switch is doing my head in.

So was he/she.

Defenders always have high disposal efficiency. Even Zac Dawson went mid 70s.

I was referring to Nyhuis in the post, But I agree, McCarthy could be more dangerous with his disposals. He is one of our really good kicks. He should be able to spot up a target in space especially in the forward 50.
Hughes kicking backwards all the time, when we have no outlet for the switch is doing my head in.
I was implying he takes the safe options a lot of the time.

Yes the slow switch today was shocking, as was us leaving men on the outside of contests all day.

Got to moneyball this year. We are likely selling Langdon and Hill high. Can’t go wasting that on Kelly now.

I’d absolutely rather Ellis (essentially free) Bolton ( probably a pick around 30), Ah Chee ( low value)

Take picks to the draft. Grab WA kids.
Add Martin for Pick 20, which means Henry only uses up 3rd round draft picks

I was implying he takes the safe options a lot of the time.

Yes the slow switch today was shocking, as was us leaving men on the outside of contests all day.
Yeah fair call.

The ball handling was also rubbish. Rarely first grabbed. So much looked wrong today. Very little defensive run, letting the opponent lead up with no pressure Tucker slow in the head at times and never being able to get free (at least his arms would be nice) from tackles.
Any way clean slate. The T's and i's haven't been crossed for a long time in this team. Quality Coaching panel needed over all lines, not just on head honcho. And improved recruiting and development. Other than that we are fine :rolleyes:

Got to moneyball this year. We are likely selling Langdon and Hill high. Can’t go wasting that on Kelly now.

I’d absolutely rather Ellis (essentially free) Bolton ( probably a pick around 30), Ah Chee ( low value)

Take picks to the draft. Grab WA kids.

Mmmm lack of under standing of money ball concepts is a Cobblers downfall..

Do you know the money ball concepts!

Mmmm lack of under standing of money ball concepts is a Cobblers downfall..

Do you know the money ball concepts!

Do you?
To moneyball is to grab players perceived as paying unders for. What do you think it is???
Because I can assure you if it’s not as above then you have no idea.

Do you?
To moneyball is to grab players perceived as paying unders for. What do you think it is???
Well actually "Moneyball" really means using data analytics, rather than eye perceptions and reputations and other usual methods, to list manage. Grabbing unders is obviously a bonus, but it's not the be all and end all of it (same goes for other methods too).

Last edited:
Do you?

Ahhh a Cobblers downfall..

Moneyball is about bringing in players that increase the overall value of the team.. say a forward that consistently is associated with a high scoring forward line..

By them being in the team, the team scores more either a by

1: scoring themselves
2: providing a service that enables other players to score more.

First one is an expensive option second option is a cheaper option.

Second concept is to sell players when there value is high.

Idea conceptually is to get a champion team not a team of champions.

Where every player knows their role and plays there part.

It’s not to bring in random players that aren’t best 22 at other clubs! Hoping they will work at our club,because they are perceived as cheap in value!

It actually looks significantly at work ethic, no d!ck heads, no egos. But focuses on Role players.

Obviously needs some bling but you draft the polish. That’s what high picks are for!

Well actually it's really using data analytics, rather than eye perceptions and reputations and other usual methods, to list manage. Grabbing unders is obviously a bonus, but it's not the be all and end all of it (same goes for other methods too).

Yes but obviously you’d get them for unders. Because you’re not going to pay a price for a guy who then delivers as expected but in our case often doesn’t perform to expectations. The club has failed this for years.
Paying overs for guys. The net effect of that accumulates into mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhh a Cobblers downfall..

Moneyball is about bringing in players that increase the overall value of the team.. say a forward that consistently is associated with a high scoring forward line..

By them being in the team, the team scores more either a by

1: scoring themselves
2: providing a service that enables other players to score more.

First one is an expensive option second option is a cheaper option.

Second concept is to sell players when there value is high.

Idea conceptually is to get a champion team not a team of champions.

Where every player knows there role and plays there part.

It’s not to bring in random players that aren’t best 22 at other clubs! Hoping they will work at our club.

It actually looks significantly at work ethic, no d!ck heads, no egos. Role players.

Obviously needs some bling but you draft the polish. That’s what high picks are for!

Well I don’t think we can improve the ‘value’ of our team if we lose Hill and Langdon. Not in the short term. Hence if we can get Ellis and say Ah Chee as immediate cover but take the high picks to the draft, we may come out on top in the medium to longer term.

To sell Hill and Langdon and say gain Kelly for roughly the same picks would be a massive mistake.

Well I don’t think we can improve the ‘value’ of our team if we lose Hill and Langdon. Not in the short term. Hence if we can get Ellis and say Ah Chee as immediate cover but take the high picks to the draft, we may come out on top in the medium to longer term.

To sell Hill and Langdon and say gain Kelly for roughly the same picks would be a massive mistake.

Moneyball play would be to identify the metrics to choose the best options, not pulling players out of a hat!

Moneyball play would be to identify the metrics to choose the best options, not pulling players out of a hat!

You can only pull players that are available. Can’t exactly see if Jeremy Cameron will play at Freo next year.

If we lose Hill and Langdon who should we target?

Anyway, you tend to come across as abrasive and a bit of a bellend to be honest. So best of luck to you.

You can only pull players that are available. Can’t exactly see if Jeremy Cameron will play at Freo next year.

If we lose Hill and Langdon who should we target?

Anyway, you tend to come across as abrasive and a bit of a bellend to be honest. So best of luck to you.
That's unnecessary

What about Meek then? People who have been down to Mandurah more than me can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the general opinion was that Meek had been performing a little better than Jones at Peel (though neither really standing out).

To be honest with four already gone we can probably afford to keep both if we lose a number of players like is being reported and decide to cut a few other under-performers. But would we need both as back up when they are pretty definitely covering for a Darcy injury? Couldn't see any of those three playing together.

I'd say we're a very good chance at getting Mason Redman.
I know he’s still out of contract and I know it was mentioned by Mitch Clearly and Riley Beveridge but what on earth is Redman (originally from Glenelg, SA) connection to FFC and Perth. I also read another article yesterday on afl.com.au about out contract players, where it indicates that they expect him to re-sign with Essendon.

What about Meek then? People who have been down to Mandurah more than me can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the general opinion was that Meek had been performing a little better than Jones at Peel (though neither really standing out).

To be honest with four already gone we can probably afford to keep both if we lose a number of players like is being reported and decide to cut a few other under-performers. But would we need both as back up when they are pretty definitely covering for a Darcy injury? Couldn't see any of those three playing together.

There’s a reason Jones has played 6 afl games and Meek zero.

I’d give Jones 1 year.

Delist Meek then Re rookie him.

Sean Darcy will always have the go home factor and Lobb hates rucking..

Would still prefer to have kept Strnadica over Jones, he competes well he just looks way too slow.

I’d say we’re gonna keep only one of Meek and Jones as they’re the same type of ruckman, Darcy being the long-term first choice.

There’s a reason Jones has played 6 afl games and Meek zero.

I’d give Jones 1 year.

Delist Meek then Re rookie him.

Sean Darcy will always have the go home factor and Lobb hates rucking..
That reason would be age.

Move Meek to the Rookie list - delist and then reselect as a rookie. Less pressure on him and he needs more time to develop.

I’m still not totally convinced by Jones but he played out the season reasonably well and is a better option than anyone else as a mature age option. Really needs to work hard on his fitness and agility over the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back